where do i stand

elmar fudd

my sgc runs out on the 1st april, and on thursday all my new forms were delivered for my renewal, now if i send them in next week is my current ticket still usable? the reason i ask is because im supposed to be buying a .410 off my mate sometime next week so what do i do? because it'll be on my current ticket and i'll obviously notify the police ive brought it but it wont be entered onto my application forms will it? sorry if this sounds confusing but does anyone know what i can do?

fudd

Hi

My understanding is that the information filled in on the forms is as on the day you are filling them in and upto the day they are sent off.

After they have been sent off should you acquire additional shotgun(s) you will inform them on the appropriate form/mechanism, which should then be picked up at the interview or reflected on your new certificate.

Just keep a copy of the notification should the need arise.

Also may be good to hold onto your existing SGC and send in a copy if they have asked for it (some Services ask for the original) - you will then have a current SGC with any changes on it in hand....

L

As above, just send off the renewal forms and carry on as normal. Some forces do not like it, but you are not required to send in your old certificate for a renewal, just notify them about the acquisition of another firearm as normal - and make sure you keep the receipt for the recorded delivery.

You won't be able to purchase a sg if you have already sent you cert back. So you either do the transaction now or when your cert comes back. You will also need to make sure you have enough ammo before you send your ticket off

Edited by Fisheruk

But why would one send in existing SGC that is still valid? When applying for renewal? Simple answer don't send current cert with renewal just the renewal form photo and fee! Life carries on as normal until the new one arrives or old one expires....

As above. DON'T send your SGC in with forms (send a photocopy if you like). Your SGC can then be used till it expires to buy ammo and the new .410. or whatever else. If you lived around here you might want to stock up on ammo before expiry as you'd be unlikely to get your new cert issued before 1st April if you sent all the papers etc back tomorrow.!!!

Sent my renewal back last November, old cert ran out on 12th Dec. I kept old cert, they sent me a temporary cert with all guns listed but noware to add new guns. When guy came to inspect he insisted on taking my old certificate even tho it wasstill valid. Asked what to do if I wanted to buy a new shotgun he said I would have to wait until my new cert was issued, still waiting!!

Sent my renewal back last November, old cert ran out on 12th Dec. I kept old cert, they sent me a temporary cert with all guns listed but noware to add new guns. When guy came to inspect he insisted on taking my old certificate even tho it wasstill valid. Asked what to do if I wanted to buy a new shotgun he said I would have to wait until my new cert was issued, still waiting!!

Next time this happens, tell him/her that you are keeping your certificate until it expires - it is yours. You should not have to not buy guns or ammo because they want to take your old certificate in advance - they're just being inconsiderate and making up rules as they go along.

Next time this happens, tell him/her that you are keeping your certificate until it expires - it is yours. You should not have to not buy guns or ammo because they want to take your old certificate in advance - they're just being inconsiderate and making up rules as they go along.

Unfortunately I live in Lincs and they have handed firearms/shotgun cert renewal over to Group4. The guy that inspected my guns was surprised to see a serial number on the trigger gard of some of my shotguns!!! Ex RAF. Need I say more!