Winch question

ditchman

Am going to fit a 5t winch to the defender in the spring (if we ever have one!).....i have been advised that i need a second battery with a split charging system....the battery i have on at the moment is a heavy duty Bosh...do i have to fit another one the same amp hr ( which will be effin expensive) or can i get away with a smaller cheaper less amp hour battery...i wont be using the winch everyday but now and again and not for long periods of time

Not too small if you use it sensibly and with a snatch block if REALLY stuck... Not had a problem on the trooper I borrow off my mate, or my l200 were using champion 13000's off eBay for £250

If your strapped for cash just use it with engine running.. If you have £20 spare go scrappiest and get another.. Just Incase..

Edited by houlsby

Is 5ton not a bit small for a landrover?

Im fitting a 6ton to my jimny.

You have a 4 ton Jimny? GVW x 1.5 is the rule of thumb........3.5T GVW 5.5T winch........

Jimny is a 1.42 ton GVW so 2.2T is enough......... a 6T winch will lift it vertically!

Winches can Kill batteries as the current draw is much higher and for longer periods than starting (imagine driving on the starter motor!) they will need time to cool and recharge.

Hydraulic winches can be a good answer http://www.firstfour.co.uk/products/winches-and-accessories/hydraulic-winches---hyd-parts/milemarker-hydraulic-winches but more complex to fit. If you plan on doing a lot of winching fit a hand throttle http://www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk/product/w-s-59z-land-rover-hand-throttle-kit-rtc6382 this allows you keep the REVs up while winching or using other PTO equipment

Edited by HDAV

You have a 4 ton Jimny? GVW x 1.5 is the rule of thumb........3.5T GVW 5.5T winch........

Jimny is a 1.42 ton GVW so 2.2T is enough......... a 6T winch will lift it vertically!

Winches can Kill batteries as the current draw is much higher and for longer periods than starting (imagine driving on the starter motor!) they will need time to cool and recharge.

Hydraulic winches can be a good answer http://www.firstfour...draulic-winches but more complex to fit. If you plan on doing a lot of winching fit a hand throttle http://www.johnricha...tle-kit-rtc6382 this allows you keep the REVs up while winching or using other PTO equipment

You can need that amount of pulling force when your deeply stuck - take a 2 ton vehicle, then load it up, then sink it down to the bodywork in proper mud, and you suddenly find that a 5 ton winch won't be enough.

Using a pulley block is great, the problem is that you then half your cable length which can be a problem.

Another consideration for drum winches is that the rated pull is usually with one layer of cable on the drum, there is a big difference when the drum is loaded with more layers.

It's always better to have something bigger than you need - calculate you need a 5 ton winch, buy at least 6 so you aren't working it to the limit, leading to a worn out winch.

Of course, this is for the extreme stuff (and yes hydraulic or PTO is far better for heavy use). A lot of the time you just need a slight pull and nothing fancy is needed.

You can need that amount of pulling force when your deeply stuck - take a 2 ton vehicle, then load it up, then sink it down to the bodywork in proper mud, and you suddenly find that a 5 ton winch won't be enough.

Using a pulley block is great, the problem is that you then half your cable length which can be a problem.

Another consideration for drum winches is that the rated pull is usually with one layer of cable on the drum, there is a big difference when the drum is loaded with more layers.

It's always better to have something bigger than you need - calculate you need a 5 ton winch, buy at least 6 so you aren't working it to the limit, leading to a worn out winch.

That was my thinking. Plus i may need to winch a defender/disco sometimes.

second battery can be lower AH if you have a 12AH and 6 AH you 18AH of capacity. Issue is when you run 50A for 15 mins.................

An amp-hour is a rate of work. So with your 18Ah you could draw one amp for 18 hours or 18 amps for 1 hour.

Your 50A example over 15 mins is only 12.5Ah of power used. With the engine running the alternator will be adding charge all the time. I wouldn't envisage a problem.

. With the engine running the alternator will be adding charge all the time. I wouldn't envisage a problem.

True....as long as engine is running, and batteries are in good condition.....

with a vehicle only used for short trips and running extra lights winches etc the battery may well be in less than tip top condition. If you winch out of the mud but don't have enough left to start your no better off than if you were stuck in the hole! For the OP it probably isnt a concern............

True....as long as engine is running, and batteries are in good condition.....

with a vehicle only used for short trips and running extra lights winches etc the battery may well be in less than tip top condition. If you winch out of the mud but don't have enough left to start your no better off than if you were stuck in the hole! For the OP it probably isnt a concern............

But if your going to fit a winch you might aswell do it right. Fit a second battery and prevent the scinario above.

Or keep one charged up on 240v at home and take that and some jump leads out with you.

If its second hand, check the state of the cable before you ever use it. Unroll the whole thing and look for any kincs along the whole length aswell as any rust sport.

The cable should be clean with no loose wires. If you have any doubt bin the cable its cheap enough to replace.

points taken, i see the winch everyday as a mate has it on the company crew cab pickup...the crew cab is going to auction this spring witout the winch and bumper.!..the bumper and winch were fitted and supplied by a l/rover agent, so it should be a decent make, the cable is dirty but free of broken wires and kinks

will get a decent 2nd battery from the scrappy and order up a new split charger and isolater

cheers for the advice boys and girls

ditchman