grey partridge

hi guys

farm i work at has couple coveys of wild grey partridge knocking about. not much i can do to improve habitat for them e.g. planting cover etc. can put put hoppers to feed, anyone reccomend what to feed them? when to start?

will carry out pest control. anything else i can do to encourage them?

I would start feeding now to get them into condition for spring, and keep feeding for as long as you can. Partridges also prefer to eat from face height, rather than pecking upwards at a spiral so tophats, pan feeders or letterbox are your best bet. The key things for partridge breeding success are predator control and areas to provide insect feed for chicks. Good luck, they need all the help they can get!

cheers for reply, didn't know that about their feeding prefrence. have got couple of spring hoppers, so guess they not much use? in terms of area to provide insects, we have 6m strips around all the fields that are tractor no go areas so fingers crossed that should help them.

yeah, ever since my college days have wanted to do something to help the greys but never had chance before.

thank again.

Feeders down hedge backs are very helpful, but need to be low enough for the partridge, I have no problems with grey partridge using springs

Also set up bait or trap points near each feeder for rats, otherwise you will undo all your good work feeding the birds by attracting a serious nest predator to just where you hope Mr and Mrs partridge will set up home. I did not like putting poison down but found it was the only way to deal with rats in any numbers, you will catch single transient rats easily enough in tunnel traps but a colony soon gets wise to the danger.

The GWCT has some great advice on their website with regards Grey Partridge conservation.

thanks again for replies fellas. rats could well be a real problem as we already have tons, but hopefully they will stay where they are (around the feed silos).

what do people reccomend to feed the partridge? as i'm doing this off my own back just for the conservation of them at the mo, i am trying to do it on a budget...

what height from the ground should the spring be?

Edited by BenBhoy

The Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust have loads of information on grey partridges. They've produced many management factsheets which have a lot of useful information.

Here is the page of management factsheets. Not all are for grey partridge.

Here is another factsheet not included on that link.

The main thing they need is food. The chicks are dependent on insects for the first few weeks and this can be a challenge sometimes. They also need good cover and protection from predators. That's the basics anyway.

Edited by Reece

• 1 month later...