Making your own firearm

Thedeerman

I built a rifle out of bits two or three years ago. I got the slots put on my ticket for an action and a seperate barrel. I bought a Savage F12 target action from NW customs guns and did a personal import direct from Shilens for a select grade match barrel in 6mmbr. I bought a Sav-2 trigger direct from Rifle basix in the US and a Richards Microfit stock direct from Richards and a Ken Farrell 20moa sight rail again direct.

Being a Savage build you can fit the barrel with no machining necessary.

Five shots 110 yds

th_Untitled-5.jpg

Five shots 220yds

th_Untitled-6.jpg

th_pilarbedding.jpgth_DSCF0378-1.jpg

That's a nice rifle!

What if you wanted to start completely from scratch? Reason I ask is, I've been looking to get another .410 pistol with no success and have been looking into the possibility of making a simple single shot derringer style pistol.

Just wondered how I would stand with getting such a thing put on my ticket?

That's a nice rifle!

What if you wanted to start completely from scratch? Reason I ask is, I've been looking to get another .410 pistol with no success and have been looking into the possibility of making a simple single shot derringer style pistol.

Just wondered how I would stand with getting such a thing put on my ticket?

I think you may have a problem with that - You might have got away with it in the pistol shooting days, and you may still get away with it now if you were to make a muzzle loading BP type pistol - I know you can get kits to make BP pistols, both flint and percussion - requires a bit of investigation I guess.

You can do it, I think you'd just make it and get a RFD to enter it onto your certificate. The only bit I'm not sure about is the part between making it and getting it on ticket, that may be slightly tricky. It may be possible to make it into the various components and take it to be entered, then assemble them. You just need to find a way to not have a firearm in your possession without it being on your ticket.

You would need a CNC mill and engineering experience surely? Shame really cos 10 years ago I would have machined it for you if you had drawings.

They seemd to manage quite well without CNC machinery two hundred years ago. :) I knocked this one up with only a file and a post drill about 40 years ago.

th_Half-sized1872Thuer1974.jpg

I'm a time served engineer, the making if it would not be an issue. I've got a set of files and a drill. CNC is for lazy people.

Just wanted to know I would stand legally. I think I'd better ring the firearms dept and get them scratching their heads! Already got an open slot for .410 pistol so no worries there. Although I would be tempted to make a 9mm rimfire instead and get a variation.

I'm a time served engineer, the making if it would not be an issue. I've got a set of files and a drill. CNC is for lazy people.

Just wanted to know I would stand legally. I think I'd better ring the firearms dept and get them scratching their heads! Already got an open slot for .410 pistol so no worries there. Although I would be tempted to make a 9mm rimfire instead and get a variation.

Don't be sure that the FLD will get it right. They're only human, and have been known to make mistakes, and this is a little out of the ordinary. Just because they tell you how to do it doesn't guarantee it's legal.

Perhaps BASC would be a better bet - ask the people with lawyers who specialize in firearms law.

Edited by bedwards1966

I built a rifle out of bits two or three years ago. I got the slots put on my ticket for an action and a seperate barrel. I bought a Savage F12 target action from NW customs guns and did a personal import direct from Shilens for a select grade match barrel in 6mmbr. I bought a Sav-2 trigger direct from Rifle basix in the US and a Richards Microfit stock direct from Richards and a Ken Farrell 20moa sight rail again direct.

Being a Savage build you can fit the barrel with no machining necessary.

Five shots 110 yds

th_Untitled-5.jpg

Five shots 220yds

th_Untitled-6.jpg

th_pilarbedding.jpgth_DSCF0378-1.jpg

i love that

proofing is the easy bit .you phone Birmingham book it in they give you a time and date you turn up and hand it over you can ether wait there or go for a walk whilst they do it if it pass you pay the bill (£50ish) and take the gun home .if it fails you pay the bill and you can ether take what's left home or ask them to dispose of it :whistling::innocent: