Unloading chambered round .22, .243

Gibbybox

Evening folks!

Exuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question, I'm fairly new to shooting so bear with me...

How do I unload a chambered round in my CZ 452 .22LR? Sometimes when out shooting rabbits a shot will present itself so I chamber a round only for the rabbit to disappear before I get the shot off and I'm left with a loaded gun. As I shoot alone I tend to put the safety on and carry on until another rabbit appears and use the round then. The problem arises when I am finished shooting and have to fire the round safely into the ground, ensuring that the ground is at a suitable angle to absorb the bullet without deflection. Is there a way to remove the unfired round without gouging it out with a knife?

I've never had to unload a chambered .243 round yet but if the situation does arise is it easier to remove it? The rifle is a Tikka LSA-55 from the 1970s.

Thanks in advance

Gibby

Yes, definitely should eject as you cycle the bolt. I find the issue is they usually shoot away and I have to search for them on the ground so the way i do it is I place the very base of the thimb in front for the bolt handle and cover the chamber with my hand so as I pull back with my thumb the round ejects. This is probably made easier cause I have a straight pull bolt, but I have seen it done by other shooters on standard bolts for 270s 308s etc. Works well. Enjoy

Yes I do something similar with my HMR. Remove mag, cycle bolt twice/three times to confirm clear close bolt and decock to take the strain off the firing pin, I guess there is the dispute of dry firing a rifle on this though. Each to their own.

Press the trigger whilst closing the bolt so the striker never cocks its self. That avoids having to snap the action with an empty chamber.

J.

Yes I do something similar with my HMR. Remove mag, cycle bolt twice/three times to confirm clear close bolt and decock to take the strain off the firing pin, I guess there is the dispute of dry firing a rifle on this though.

I do similar,but I leave the mag' in while I eject the live round otherwise it drops out of the mag' well and is then lost,especially at night.

If you squeeze and hold the trigger fully compressed as you slide the bolt forward and close the action on an empty breech,then the pin is eased without need for a dry-fire.

JL beat me to it.

Edited by Scully

Thanks for the rapid response!

It does sound like I have an ejector problem then, I inherited the rifle from my dad who hasn't fired it in years. I did have a problem once where it wouldn't eject empty cases but that was solved with a good clean of the chamber.

Is this something I may be able to fix myself or should I take it to a gunsmith?

Cheers guys

sounds like the extractor may need sharpening
I am confused in the post he never said anything about the rifle not extracting a loaded round. Just that he fired it into the ground rather than extracting the round using the bolt. :hmm:
I've never had to unload a chambered .243 round yet but if the situation does arise is it easier to remove it? The rifle is a Tikka LSA-55 from the 1970s.

The above post suggests that he is talking about rifles in general and not one that might have a bad extractor. PS If it didn't extract i would do what you are doing fire it into the ground if it was a .22. It might get a bit expensive if using .243 etc.

Edited by ordnance

Just to clarify, I did try pulling the bolt back as you would do after firing but the round stays in the chamber and does not pop out like it does once it has been fired.

It is pretty clean I think, I've still to get a set of rods and some Hoppe's No.9 to give it a good clean. At the moment I've just cleaned the throat with cotton buds and oil, maybe that's the problem!