Fireplace advise

muttsnutts

Wondering if any one has any knowledge of open fire places, basically the fire bricks at the back have cracked and worn away over a period of some years.the size at the back of the fire place is roughly 16" wide and 25" deep, I have been advised by a local bricky that this types/size of bricks are no longer used, he instead has shown me a fire board that is now used instead of bricks, my only worry about using this stuff that it is so soft & marked easily, it is not much harder than plaster board. My worry is it will not last and just break up and chip really easy with logs being thrown onto the fire ? Any ideas ?

Take out the old fire brick and put a precast fireplace back in there

The sides of the fire place is ok, just needed the back doing + as is not a small fire place I don't really want to replace the whole thing, was just seeing if anybody knows where to get large fire bricks from. Thanks

Try a search along the lines of "fire bricks -stoves" on the bay, ( as you want them for a fireplace ). I just did - 243 results, no doubt many of them are rubbish but there seemed to be some which would fit your bill, so to speak.

I know you know this, but, get rid of the open fireplace and fit a log burner/ multifuel stove - you'll save a fortune in logs!!

ATB

Sim

Trouble is the back of the fire place is very large and not a standard size, it's a old farmhouse and needs the who back doing, dint want to put to many smaller bricks in incase the cement starts to crack prematurely.

I used premixed firebrick cement to replace broken firebricks in a log burner and it seems to work really well. Comes in a 10kg bucket and you build the firebrick in place and it sets rockhard

Trouble is the back of the fire place is very large and not a standard size, it's a old farmhouse and needs the who back doing, dint want to put to many smaller bricks in incase the cement starts to crack prematurely.

We use fire clay mixed with sand (sand and lime will also work do not use cement or they will always crack due to heat movement) to rebuild fire backs.

The fire bricks also go by the name of baby bricks and come in 2 types 1 with a sloped long side and the other with a rounded corner normally sold in sets of one type or the other.

The trick with building with these bricks is to soak them in a bucket of water for about 5 mins and then let them drip dry and then build with them.

Bob

We use fire clay mixed with sand (sand and lime will also work do not use cement or they will always crack due to heat movement) to rebuild fire backs.

The fire bricks also go by the name of baby bricks and come in 2 types 1 with a sloped long side and the other with a rounded corner normally sold in sets of one type or the other.

The trick with building with these bricks is to soak them in a bucket of water for about 5 mins and then let them drip dry and then build with them.

Bob

:stupid:

Joiners at my work soak them in a barrel overnight.

if you look on e bay you can buy fire bricks made from vermiculite.They are about 9 x 5 x 1 inch.

I just bought some last year and lined out my fire place.cant remeber price but not that bad.

That's the stuff I think the guy showed me, it seemed to soft to me so dint really want to use it.