ear plugs

chefy

hello all i use peltor ear defenders and keep knocking them on my stock when mounting,been shooting for years and only just noticed it.i am wanting to try some sillicon moulded ones,which make are any good and which ones to keep away from.thanks

Ultimate hearing (http://ultimateear.com/) for my wife and me. We've both got the passive shooting plugs. They feel really comfy and seem to work well. They attend most motorcycle and shooting shows, so they're normally going to be somewhere near you at some point to have impressions made. You can also get impressions made by a hearing aid place and send them in.

ACS Sonics are I think as good as any non electronic, in ear, plugs. The valve does help you hear better than with completely passive defenders (but you will still have some loss of hearing). They are around £100 in total. I had my moulds done at Boots which saved about £10 I think by joining their "hearing club" - free no commitments.

I don't know about the CENS passives but moulded ear plugs without some sort of valve mechanism will surely leave you very deafened whilst wearing them?

ACS you can't go there, well worth £100 , I really can't see the spending £500 ish on some other similar products that uses batteries !

I agree. I have looked at CENS digitals. But the ACS are reactive enough to have a normal conversation and do the job well. I can't fault them. They are still as good as the day I bought them which is nearly five years. They have worked out at £20 a year so far!!

If I lost one tomorrow I would buy the same again.

The CENS passive are exactly that. A lump of plastic if you haven't got the digital insert, although good for blocking out the helpful hints when your in the stand!

Edited by Dibs

Are the cens passive any good ? What is hearing without guns going off ? I'm a tad deaf at best of times ? Can't afford to buy the digital in ear ones , have amplified can ear defenders but knock on the stock occasionly. Any recommendations

You can still have a conversation with the CENS passive's but there is off course a muting effect. I haven't tried the ACS but these look to be using the same valves as the Sonic ear plugs; These too would have a muting effect for normal conversation but how they compare I don't know I'm afraid.

Maybe if someone has actually owned both they can give you an honest opinion instead of making statements on the fly.

I could be wrong but the naming conventions between the ACS and CENS units could be a little missleading, one calling them Passive and the other Valves; My understanding is that being they are both "non electronic" they are in fact both passive systems with some sort of valve mechanism. The CENS are not merely a lump of plastic as described above, they do have a module. Also, if I am correct in saying the valve in the ACS moulds is the same as the ones used in the Sonic plugs (costing £10), not exactly ground breaking technology!

This is just my opinion and not based on experience, but having read up on both when I was looking I think the ACS and CENS Passive's are much of a muchness, in fact you could add the Emtec version in there as well as a third option. I made my choice based on the fact that you can remove the passive module on the CENS moulds and purchase the active ones.

Ultimately, whichever of these units you choose, the most important part is that you will protect your hearing.

Good luck in choosing....

You can still have a conversation with the CENS passive's but there is off course a muting effect. I haven't tried the ACS but these look to be using the same valves as the Sonic ear plugs; These too would have a muting effect for normal conversation but how they compare I don't know I'm afraid.

Maybe if someone has actually owned both they can give you an honest opinion instead of making statements on the fly.

I could be wrong but the naming conventions between the ACS and CENS units could be a little missleading, one calling them Passive and the other Valves; My understanding is that being they are both "non electronic" they are in fact both passive systems with some sort of valve mechanism. The CENS are not merely a lump of plastic as described above, they do have a module. Also, if I am correct in saying the valve in the ACS moulds is the same as the ones used in the Sonic plugs (costing £10), not exactly ground breaking technology!

This is just my opinion and not based on experience, but having read up on both when I was looking I think the ACS and CENS Passive's are much of a muchness, in fact you could add the Emtec version in there as well as a third option. I made my choice based on the fact that you can remove the passive module on the CENS moulds and purchase the active ones.

Ultimately, whichever of these units you choose, the most important part is that you will protect your hearing.

Good luck in choosing....

Don't see how it's a statement on the fly having used them for nearly five years! The ACS allow pretty much a normal conversation as they have a valve which shuts off. They won't be as good as digital.

The Cens have a plastic insert which allows ambient sound. I'm sure the CENS do the job.

I gave an accurate account of what I use.

Take your choices.

Edited by Dibs

Don't see how it's a statement on the fly having used them for nearly five years! The ACS allow pretty much a normal conversation as they have a valve which shuts off. They won't be as good as digital.

The Cens have a plastic insert which allows ambient sound. I'm sure the CENS do the job.

I gave an accurate account of what I use.

Take your choices.

The comment I was referring to was the CENS being a lump of plastic.

Have you had a set of CENS passive's?

If you have used the CENS then I apologise, if that's your opinion then I respect that, if you haven't then It's a fly away comment in my opinion.

Edited by Cosd

Worth a read some newer stuff about know

http://www.shootforum.com/forum/ShootForum_hearing_protection_test.pdf

Have a pair of of custom fit ACS sonic valves, would like some cens though may be when ACS need replacing. Still think foam plugs come in useful, spares, taking people out with me and are very effect at stopping the noise.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just completed my reasearch and had my fitting a couple of weeks ago at Ultimate (only because they are very close to my work really).

Opted for the Reactor (non electronic) with the valves inside but like has been said once you have your moulds taken you have the ability to change up or down with the next order you place.

I'd second the Howard Leight electronic slim and I don't knock the stock with them on, but ears get sweaty in summer so I also use the orange sonic valve in ear type and am looking at getting the cens passive as I can change the valve insert colour for £18.00 or up grade to electronic inserts. Good buy if someone sells second hand electronic modules as the insert will fit.

Figgy