Thinking about .22 hornet

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bear in mind that The HW is a rear locking bolt.

U.

Good point!

Do you think that, excluding the heavier bullets that would require a faster than the usual twist rate, the use of Lil'Gun powder and its associated lower pressures, way below the CIP rating for the calibre, is unlikely to have an adverse effect on the receiver - the dreaded 'receiver stretch'?

Good point!

Do you think that, excluding the heavier bullets that would require a faster than the usual twist rate, the use of Lil'Gun powder and its associated lower pressures, way below the CIP rating for the calibre, is unlikely to have an adverse effect on the receiver - the dreaded 'receiver stretch'?

Not sure but my opinion is that it depends on the particular action. The Anscutz is rear locking but very strong/stiff, IIRC the HW is lighter. I had a HW in 222 and it struggled to group with `warm` loads! Of all the 222's I had it was the worst! That may not of been due to the bolt type though!

The little mauser actioned CZ will handle anything and is very tunable!

U.

Good point!

I think you raise a good point the CZ 527 is a dedicated small centre fire chambered in .223 and .20 ruger, I doubt the little hornet will give it issues. Certain American manufacturers seem to think its a rim fire with a centre fire primer LOL. The downside as far as I see it is the hornet can have mag feed issues in std stack mags and wont single round feed direct into the chamber

I think you raise a good point the CZ 527 is a dedicated small centre fire chambered in .223 and .20 ruger, I doubt the little hornet will give it issues. Certain American manufacturers seem to think its a rim fire with a centre fire primer LOL. The downside as far as I see it is the hornet can have mag feed issues in std stack mags and wont single round feed direct into the chamber

My CZ would not close on a single fed round being of a controlled feed Mauser type bolt. But! With fine extra beveling of the claw extracters forward face the extracter will snap over the small diameter Hornet cartridge head.

I do not recomend this for regular use but it can get you out of a mess in the field if a round drops in the chamber ahead of the bolt!!

U.

My CZ would not close on a single fed round being of a controlled feed Mauser type bolt. But! With fine extra beveling of the claw extracters forward face the extracter will snap over the small diameter Hornet cartridge head.

I do not recomend this for regular use but it can get you out of a mess in the field if a round drops in the chamber ahead of the bolt!!

U.

And mine has never failed once.

I single shot the 40 grain v max all the time pushing them in with my thumb.

After some reacent target sessions I have decided to stick with the mag fed 45 grain hornady hornet as I have been getting brilliant grupes even in the wind out to 200 yards.

:)

so i hawe my eye set on Weihrauch HW 66 JM but i am bit confused about that rear locking bolt.

i dont think weihrauch will make somethink wich is not up to standart etc.

how many off you experience problems in .22 hornet with HW 66 JM

and i think new CZ is litle bit over the top.

so i hawe my eye set on Weihrauch HW 66 JM but i am bit confused about that rear locking bolt.

i dont think weihrauch will make somethink wich is not up to standart etc.

how many off you experience problems in .22 hornet with HW 66 JM

and i think new CZ is litle bit over the top.

You are correct to question this!

My HW that I did not like was in 222 not Hornet, so thats a big difference in gun terms.

It had a stretch double set trigger which I hated, it was to much reach for my finger. Yours may not have that issue!

The muzzle was bad, it needed cutting and re-crowning.

The firing pin is a very basic design and break easily!

Did I do ok with it? Yes. Shot my longest fox ever with it!

Do I shoot other rear lockers? Yes!

U.

You are correct to question this!

My HW that I did not like was in 222 not Hornet, so thats a big difference in gun terms.

It had a stretch double set trigger which I hated, it was to much reach for my finger. Yours may not have that issue!

The muzzle was bad, it needed cutting and re-crowning.

The firing pin is a very basic design and break easily!

Did I do ok with it? Yes. Shot my longest fox ever with it!

Do I shoot other rear lockers? Yes!

U.

Thats good for moment there i was thinking to look for something else.

.222 there is almost double ammount of powder.

is any one aware how many shots it will take to shoot out barrel in .22 hornet. i think its not barrel burner like .22-250 but there must be some life span

A lot! Itr will depend on the steel used but I would be amazed if you could burn out a barrel in a modern .22 Hornet in your life time. I've heard tell that Ruger uses what is reckoned to be the hardest steel of the lot. A chap I knew who was thinking about getting a .22K Hornet was warned not to do it on a Ruger as the hardness of the steel made it a great deal more difficult to do and might ruin the reamer. Don't know how true all that is though.

J.

I shot mine out, which is why the dies went up for sale and I had the new .17 barrel put on it to see what that's like. I recon mine fired 10,000 rounds in it's life!

Scope wise be very careful if you get a CZ. The bolt design means that quite often you need high mounts to clear the eye piece of the scope. I use a Leupold 3-9x40 which is a very good scope for the money and fits perfectly. Meopta are very good, but I don't know if they fit?

My opinion is that the CZ is the best buy, but plenty of other shooters use other makes and get on fine. :good:

no sign of my FAC yet

and i am stil making my mind up wich gun to go for.

new CZ is 625 + mod 135 + scope and rings 250.= 1010

18 month old HW66 + mod + mtc viper = about 700-800.

but wondering about this rear locking bolt in hw is it going to give me any trouble in future. :/ :/

To buy or not to buy - it's a right *****r's muddle. Selling is the same though. Was thinking of selling one rifle which i've not shot for a few months - been off the waterlogged land at the farmers request - so have been playing with a new load. Finally got out today now it's dried out somewhat and tried the new recipe out. Who in their right mind at 68 years of age with a slightly dicky ticker is going to sell a rifle that still permits the owner to shoot three five round groups one after the other for an average of 0.512" - the best being 0.350" - at 90 yards?

T

To buy or not to buy - it's a right *****r's muddle. Selling is the same though. Was thinking of selling one rifle which i've not shot for a few months - been off the waterlogged land at the farmers request - so have been playing with a new load. Finally got out today now it's dried out somewhat and tried the new recipe out. Who in their right mind at 68 years of age with a slightly dicky ticker is going to sell a rifle that still permits the owner to shoot three five round groups one after the other for an average of 0.512" - the best being 0.350" - at 90 yards?

That is good shooting

Yes but sound mod will reduce recoil and will be bit better for lifestock in area.

There no louder than a 12 bore

If you don't mind cleaning it a sak mod will do the job but only for 150 shots then you will have to strip it.

I don't have one on mine mate.