Susuki Jimney

Whitebridges

I've got the chance to buy a Jimney at the right sort of money. Does anyone have experience of this motor for light off roading and lamping? Any good?

It's fitted with Bridgestone road tyres at the moment. Is there much point in fitting something more suited for off road? Any opinions on an upgrade on tyres and a guide on prices welcomed.

Any advices much appreciated, Thank you.

Edited by Whitebridges

Myself and one of the other members on here bought one between us specifically for lamping and general shoot use - it was superb! Unstoppable as it just bounced over things, you could get it in places other trucks just couldn't fit into!

Highly recommended!

Regards,

Gixer

Little suzukis are good off road, need servicing regular though. My mate uses one for lamping and swears by it he reckons if it ever does get stuck its light enough to get out and push it out of trouble.....

Tyres make a massive difference off road Any decent all terrains should do.

a/t general grabber are supposed to be good

Don't go for full mud tyres they are noisey on road and can make your handling sketchy.

And another...........

The only thing letting the jimny down in this video, is its ground clearance (body lift and bigger tyres will help solve that).................... and bare in mind, the defender has all terrains on, the jimny has standard road tyres !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kFYcFQTcVg

Edited by chrispti

Thanks a lot fellas for the replies. Lot's of positive stuff about the Jimney.

I'm going for it and will put some All Terrain tyres on it. My missus is fed up with me trashing decent cars with dead stuff, outboard boat engines, and half a field of mud in the the motor. The Jimney looks right for my needs.

Edited by Whitebridges

The only negative is its relatively small size. I have the back seats folded down flat and hide poles etc pushed between the front seats.

The general grabber A/T's on mine sound as quiet as a normal tyre at speed but certainly seem to grip when needed.

I've thought a bit about the size and plan to have the back seats down flat all the time. I should just about have enough room in the back for all the truck.

I reckon i'll go with the GG A/T's.

Edited by Whitebridges

I've thought a bit about the size and plan to have the back seats down flat all the time. I should just about have enough room in the back for all the truck.

I reckon i'll go with the GG A/T's.

The ones on mine are 215/75 r15. They give you more ground clearance and a bit of a wider footprint for the vehicle too I believe.

I took the seats ot of mine and used some marine ply for a floor.

can fit my over and under, 32" with extended chokes, and my hide poles, across the back. Each end fits in the arm rests.

There's enough room for 2 and 2 lots of decoying equipment. You only get problems if you shoot a few 100 pigeons.......... I made a wooden tray which clamps on to my roof rack, all the decoying gear can be secured to the roof, which leaves room in the back for a dog and your dead birds.

post-11306-0-70037300-1359891485_thumb.jpg

I bought one about 10 months ago and the only downside is fuel economy - around 32-35 mpg but saving 8p a litre locally at the moment compared to diesel sweetens it a bit.

Running it with standard tyres it's surprising good off road and due to lack of weight does better than the Ranger on ATs.

Great as a 2 seater I put a raised floor in the back so guns slide underneath out of sight.

I have one and love it, 12,000 miles this last year and hasnt used a thimble of oil, it heats up in no time and is great off road !

I currently have Bridgestone dueler tyres on it and its done everything very well in them so far to, I would like to put some more aggressive tyres on but the back end is very light and slippy in the wet so i dont want to lose any grip in the wet by putting AT`s on. Sticking with what i have for now !

very caple off road and in the mud :D

Some people don't need a big 4x4 to make them feel all big and tough............ :good:

However, if your ever in the area and you need a mobile hair dresser ......... ;)

By default wouldn't you have to have hair to do that job ;):lol:

Edited by mpk