Pump Club

thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry for hijacking the thread, im after abit of advice chaps. Im planning on trading in my Mossberg 600at and my hatsan semi for a new or near mint pump. Are the benellis worth the extra money? I see the sxps are fairly cheap brand new but really fancy a super nova. Any advice would be grand, cheers.

I had one brand new, only had it for six months. The shortest I've ever owned a gun for. It has loads of nice features, but it never, ever felt as good as my 870. In the end I sold the Benelli and bought a Remington 11-87 auto, purely because the stock etc make it feel just like my 870! For me, you cannot beat a Wingmaster :)

Edited by throdgrain

Funny you should say that, I'm currently looking at remmy 1100s :innocent:

This is my second one. The first was nice, but old, and fell to bits in the end. This latest one is brand new, but more importantly feels just like my WM, same length barrel, same stock etc, just in synthetic instead of wood.

So I got one of each :)

Managed to get out and put a few through the M37 this morning. Didn't get off to a great start....Load, pump, "pull", bang, pu...., damn, jammed very first shot. Seems it doesn't like Eley Firsts. Jammed on the next go with the Eley . Ok, what have I got in the bag....RC2s and Gamebore...ok, tried both of those and no further problems. I'll avoid the firsts in the pump then.

Other than that, I started to get the hang of pumping between pairs and even managed to hit a few :) Overall it was good fun and the gun felt really good. I'll look forward to having a go on the next Norfolk flush I can get to.

The first rule of pump club....do not talk about pump club! I love my Supernova, but now I think that if I am to be a true pump fan I 'need' to invest in a 500 and an 870. Perhaps I can even convince my dad to part with his Savage/Stevens with an adjustable choke...

I've just picked up this Savage/Stevens with the variable choke at a snip of a price.

image.jpg

TbirdX, Markbrowning: Can you tell me what actually happened with the problem rounds? FTF, FTEx or FTEj?

Today, after quite a long "battle", my M37 seems to running *correctly*. :) Now all I've got to do is cure that "wandering rear sight syndrome"...

Regards,

Mark.

Loaded two in the mag, press action release, pump.

So we now have one in the chamber and 1 in the mag.

Fire, rack the slide back and then forward at which point it jams.

At this stage I now have the fired cart stuck in the barrel and the 2nd cart in the action above the lifting fork. I can't extract either cart with the gun intact.

So I remove the barrel and had to hook the cart out of the barrel with a screwdriver. (I suspect I made it worse when I racked the 2nd cart into the back of the jammed first because the 2nd jam, where I didn't do this, extracted easily with fingers)

I then reloaded with another two Eleys. This time I was very firm on the forward stroke of the slide. Fired and racked back, the the first cart ejected ok and the 2nd loaded, fired and extracted ok.

Then I loaded another 2 Eleys, fired and had another jam identical to the first described. Again, remove barrel to extract both carts.

Put the Eleys away and switched to the other brands and fired approx. 50-60 carts without any further problems.

I can only summise that my 37 doesn't like Eley Firsts. I don't think it's case size related as the Eleys are 67mm, and the RC2s and Gamebores were 70mm and 65mm respectively. I hope it likes Olympics as they are my preferred shell, I just forgot to take any with me this trip :(

So, you appear to have an FTEx (failure to extract). *If* this is so:

This is *exactly* the problem that I had when I acquired my M37 and I used to clear them in a similar manner to what you employed. I'd take the barrel off, use a finger nail to dump the fired hull and then refit the barrel.

I got *very* fast at this "drill" but, of course, had to put up with quite a lot of pi ^H^H ribbing from other club members.

After a few months, it got worse and I changed my drill to barrel off, dump *live* round in the reciever, refit barrel and pump to get rid of the last fired hull.

At this point, I consulted the (American) shotgun "collective" - this problem is common on 870 Expresses, apparantly - and it was suggested that I polish the chamber with very fine wirewool. (Some use hones...)

It *improved* but wasn't *cured*.

Then, disaster! Both my M37s broke their firing pins and, after a *lot* of hassling, Ithaca agreed to send me some spares. Amongst other items, I bought a new set of extractors and springs. I fitted those and, along with a light chamber polish every time I clean the gun, it has *totally* got rid of the problem. :)

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I found fitting all the parts a doddle except for the upper extractor which was a complete pain in the bits. Perhaps there's a "knack" to it that I've yet to acquire.

P.P.S. If you *do* buy some spares, it'd be worth adding the spring from the left-hand shell stop to the list since, if they get weak, they can cause feed issues. Also, make sure that the channel in which the shell stop sits is clean.

I think you've just nominated yourself as Forum M37 repair man

Oh, no - there are people who know a *huge* amount about M37s. They seem to be concentrated in the States, for *some* reason or other:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528825

DRCook is a very helpful chap, *indeed*.

Assuming it doesn't start to occur with other shells then I'm quite happy to just avoid Eley Firsts for the time being.

Fair enough. If you're not using it for something like PSG, then it's not such a problem.

Enjoy that gun - so far, I've not come across anything I'd rather be shooting. (The Chiappa 1887 comes close, though.)

Regards,

Mark.

Chaos, do you use any kind of safety flag in your 37? If so, what?

Yes, I do. Pretty much everyone does when I've been PSGing.

When I started shootin', our club was "muzzle down". This meant that pretty much *any* safety flag would work because the weight of the action tended to close the bolt on the flag. *Now*, though, we've moved to muzzle *up*. (Most people prefer muzzle *down* which also, by the way, makes getting guns out of the slips somewhat easier.)

As a result, my shotguns - and *especially* the lever-action - want to open themselves up and dump the flags on the ground.

Luckily, because I started *clay* shooting a few months before PSG and because I had a Higgins M20* complete with a sling, I'd already made a spring-loaded safety flag that would stay put in a pump-action when it was muzzle up.

I really must make some more...

Regards,

Mark.

* The Higgins M20 pump-action shotgun has, perhaps, *the* slickest action of any pumper. (Maybe, they're just "looser" than all the others.)

TbirdX,

I've just seen your other thread. :)

Look at the end of this video:

There's a brief view of the flag that I made (on me lathe) for the M20. It works "adequately" in the lever-action.

Regards,

Mark.