Pump Club

thepasty

Well March arrived & that meant the start of the practical shooting season & one match in particular that has always been one of my favourites.

The "Hardy" match at Shield Shooting Centre was last weekend on the 8th-9th, this year the start of the season was blessed with beautiful weather on the south coast & we had a lot of fun.

I bumped into "ChAoS" at the match & just want to say many thanks to him for his kind gift, cheers Mark & see you at the next one.

Here are a few pumping pics from Saturday.

2014banner_zpsd162c584.jpg

Texas Star

2014benstar_zps0cddabf0.jpg

Jon on Stage 2

DSCF5150_zpsf3fd85ee.jpg

A "tight" No Shoot !

2014bennoshoot_zpsf5b98466.jpg

"Easy" :-)

2014bennoshoot2_zps87cde501.jpg

Team Shiela !

2014teamsheila_zps23e42ef0.jpg

It was a great weekend & round 2 will be later this month as well as the new Team Challenge event which will see teams from all over the UK competing, ill post a few more after those matches, anyone who wants to get into PSG should give the four4islands matches a go, you will be welcomed & I can guarantee you will have a fun day out.

N

Edited by neil smith

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this year the start of the season was blessed with beautiful weather

Yes, nice weather *does* make a difference.

I bumped into "ChAoS" at the match & just want to say many thanks to him for his kind gift

You're welcome, Neil.

Re that "tight" stage: I have video of me "negotiating" that stage wiv me lever-action. (It didn't go *quite* according to plan...) If'n I ever get around to getting the RO's permission, I'll stick it up on YouTube.

Regards,

Mark.

Well lads, i have a remington 870 express. I was wonder ing about firing slugs, i have removed the choke and its a remington mod. choke. Is it safe to fire slugs with This choke ? Any advice is appreciated !

Yes no problem at all, the slugs with the vanes down the sides will even go down a full choke.

N

Morning Gents,

Have been loitering for a while, thought I'd finally say hello.

I have just placed and order and paid my deposit for my Mossberg 20g Hushpower (with extra barrel) so sort of a member of the club.

Only ever shot the 410 version of the mossberg and was impressed (although remembering to "Pump" as it were takes some getting used to) so I am looking forward to receiving my new toy.

Will be used as my rough shooting field gun for rats, rabbit and pigeon around livestock and horse riders both during day and on lamp at night.

I am looking for accessories, looking for more practical than tactical so wondered what opinions people have on the following

1. Slings types and swivels? Whats best for practical use? The gun needs to be secured out of the way when picking up or when you need to be hands free or just when carrying but also need to practical when shooting.

2. Anyone recommend a good "spot" torch and gun mount?

3. Removable comb raiser? Is it recommended when using the hushpower barrel due to the raised bead on the barrel? If so any recommendations?

Cheers

Jeff

Yes I have mate, gonna just enjoy using it for what it is. A good working gun.

Maybe when things settle down in my busy life I will have a go at stripping it, and putting a nice oil finish on it.

When I do get round to it, I'll be sure to put plenty of pics up...................unless I cock it right up.

Fellow Pumpers,

What modifications have you made if any to your pumps ? (photos and linls to products would be good).

Am especally keen to hear from the Mossberg owners as thats what I own (500c - 20g).

ATB

Matt

Try the Mossberg website. OK its an american forum but it has a huge picture thread. If it can be done to a shotgun someone on there has done it.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys

As promised here is a link to some pictures taken at the recent Four4islands ShotgunTeam Challenge.

3 Man Teams from clubs up & down the country came together to compete for the first annual team trophy.

The Guys from "The Tunnel" club in Dorset were victorious this year.

Pictures thanks to Ben Love Photographic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/benlove79/sets/72157643212071145/

Also at the end of the month we will be heading off to Germany once again for the Bayern Cup, I will try to post a few pics from the trip if I can.

N

Why does the guy with the timer thing need to follow the shooter around? is it not just a stat and finish time? or is he also the ref type figure?

The guy following the shooter has several rolls to play, his primary function is safety, he will ensure the shooter follows all safety procedures while loading, shooting, moving, re-loading & clearing malfunctions, & unloading at the end of the stage, he is an extra pair of eyes that are separate from the shooter who is concentrating on shooting & may not see a situation develop that could compromise range safety, his secondary role is to record the shooters score & time for the stage he is working on, he must also ensure that the rules are followed & spectators remain protected.

One incident that highlights the value of a range officer happened several years ago at a match I attended, the shot fallout area was on private land & all access gates had been closed & signs placed that shooting was in progress, although you would think the loud bangs would give that away anyway.

During one competitors attempt at a particular stage the range officer shouted STOP STOP STOP at the top of his voice, all practical shooters will recognise this command & freeze on the spot, as the shooter did so a guy riding a mountain bike passed in front of the shooter some 45 yards away the other side of a tree line, the range officer saw what the shooter & others at the event had up to that point missed, the guy was trespassing & had ignored all the signs, locked gates & loud shots, you can never underestimate the stupidity of some people, if he had been injured Im sure the media would have run a story on how a group of shooters managed to hit an innocent biker enjoying a day in the countryside.

That is an extreme example but it is not beyond the realms of possibility for inquisitive local youngsters to pop their heads above backstops, & I have seen this happen abroad, the range officers are a belt & braces approach to safety & give their time for free & for the good of others.

We simply could not run matches without them.

N

Really like the pictures, especially the bloke with the twin magazines with duct tape :yes:

Yeah I spotted that guy ... is that a class on its own? Surly the scales aren't truly balanced against 9 or 10(?)shot autos.... What is the gun he's shooting?

Great pictures Neil, looks like you have a blast (literally) the more I look at this sport the more it looks appealing :yes:

Edit....

Although after second look the tubes on the autos look like they carry more than one mag... just loading speed between the two I suppose :hmm:

Edited by jeffjjack

Guys

The guns are separated into divisions.

The Magazine fed guns like the Bora 99 shown are what we call Open Division guns, there are very few restrictions in this division & so you can add red dot sights & just about any go faster part you like to your gun, the magazines usually hold 10-12 rounds but speed loads are much faster & thats why they are separated into Open only.

The other most popular division is Standard, basically any semi-auto shotgun, the initial load is restricted to 9 rounds but after the start signal you can load more if your gun can hold them, most shooters run a gun that will hold between 12 & 14 rounds.

Standard Pump is very similar to Standard, except its limited to pump or lever action guns only & its a very popular division that is keenly contested, some of you guys from the pump club here should try it, its my favourite division & where I usually compete even though I have guns I could use in the other divisions.

The cheapest & easiest division to get started into PSG is pump division obviously, the initial costs of buying a gun are usually much cheaper, then Standard division with any semi-auto & finally Open being traditionally the most expensive, but guns like the Bora can be had for a lot less money than a tricked out Benelli M2 these days, gone are the days when you had to spend a fortune on a Molot or Saiga just to get it to run & so the Open division is growing well in the UK these days.

If any of you guys want to try it, get yourselves along to a four4islands match & get stuck in.

N

Edited by neil smith