Now I'm ready for first lab

bigman

Been wanting a lab for a long time now , but iam unsure of a few important things that are holding me back

Both myself an misses are out to work and I can't help think its unfair to leave the lab at home on his/her own for any length of time ,

Obviously for most people this is unavoidable so what would be the max amount of time that lab could be left

Iv heard labs are prone to chewing the house up when left is this true? How is this overcome ,

Is it possible to get partial trained (house trained) labs ,would this effect any further training in the future

Some days I'd be able to take him/her to work with me but not always ,

Iv got loads of questions going round my head but the leaving at home issue is eating me up as I really want a lab but want to be fair and not jump in blind so to speak

Another question on dog or bitch ? Is there a difference in behaviour or just personal preference

Atb

Hi my 2 gundog labs are 5 years old and been kennelled outside all their life, they are well exersized in the mornings and again in the evening, thay are quite happy being left in between so long as they have a warm kennel and a large enough run. I have never had a problem with leaving them. They are very well, kennel quiet and kennel clean. Very happy dogs. I work them hard in the field and I am out with them most weekends, so they probably glad of the rest. I would not however leave a dog all day that has been brought up with all day attention.

My puppies do get extra attention mid day by my wife with the normal attention and training from me morning and night, there will come a time however when they will be kenelled all day, lots of toys for the pups though as they will get bored if left.

Horses for courses I suppose, as long as their happy.

I realise it's difficult when you want a dog but unless you can have someone feed the dog mid day at 8 weeks old until probably 6 months, it' s not fair on the dog, they need 4 meals a day up to then, without compromise

Would getting a older lab around 6-12 months not be a option?

Hi my 2 gundog labs are 5 years old and been kennelled outside all their life, they are well exersized in the mornings and again in the evening, thay are quite happy being left in between so long as they have a warm kennel and a large enough run. I have never had a problem with leaving them. They are very well, kennel quiet and kennel clean. Very happy dogs. I work them hard in the field and I am out with them most weekends, so they probably glad of the rest. I would not however leave a dog all day that has been brought up with all day attention.

My puppies do get extra attention mid day by my wife with the normal attention and training from me morning and night, there will come a time however when they will be kenelled all day, lots of toys for the pups though as they will get bored if left.

Horses for courses I suppose, as long as their happy.

Thanks for that mate , maybe a little light at the end of the tunnel after all

Is there any possibility that you could pop home for an hour or two at lunch time? Or have neighbours or family that could help out?

I haven't had my lab pup yet but have been in the same pickle as you before finally deciding to get one.

My office is only 5 mins away so I'l be able to pop home for an hour during lunch time as long as I work an extra half hour to make it up.

I understand why people may be sensitive about leaving dogs all day, but I am sure there are many dog kennels out there where owners work all day. You have to think carefully about what you bring home, as stated by Pontbeck if a 8 week old puppy it will need a lot of attention food, water and otherwise.

If you find an older more experienced dog, discuss with the seller/owner about the dog and is he kennelled inside or out and is he happy being left during the day, is he a quiet kennel dog etc.

but as I do make sure that when you are around the dog gets all the attention and bonding they need, you will know if your dog is happy, and if not happy your neighbours will probably let you know!!! unhappy dogs will quite rightly complain by whining or barking.

Good luck there is a dog out here for everyone, just make sure its the right one for your circumstances mate.

I understand why people may be sensitive about leaving dogs all day, but I am sure there are many dog kennels out there where owners work all day. You have to think carefully about what you bring home, as stated by Pontbeck if a 8 week old puppy it will need a lot of attention food, water and otherwise.

If you find an older more experienced dog, discuss with the seller/owner about the dog and is he kennelled inside or out and is he happy being left during the day, is he a quiet kennel dog etc.

but as I do make sure that when you are around the dog gets all the attention and bonding they need, you will know if your dog is happy, and if not happy your neighbours will probably let you know!!! unhappy dogs will quite rightly complain by whining or barking.

Good luck there is a dog out here for everyone, just make sure its the right one for your circumstances mate.

Cheers mate, getting excited again now , there will be attention on tap for the dog when myself of misses are around seriously I feel like its a missing link from my life , my grandad always had dogs he was a handler in the police an keeper , I'm sure it's in my blood

Bigman it seems to me you would be a good dog owner, at least you are asking opinions when others just go out and get a dog.

My last pup I had was like having a new born baby in the house, feeding at least 4 times a day and she got the runs and was not well.

It would help if you could drop the dog off at dog minders while you were at work or get a dog walker to take it out while you were at work.

Trust me when I say they are hard work and very demanding......but I would not be without a dog

Bigman i am in exactly the same situation, and have read responses with interest. We moved house in December and now have the space for a dog. (Sorry if i'm hijacking your thread Bigman but it may be of relevance/interest).

A question to you experienced dog people out there, is having two dogs together from the beginning a help? As one of the options we have discussed as a family is geting a worker, and also getting a young resuce dog as a company and to give another dog a loving home.

Any advice ladies and gentlemen?

Cheers

Aled

Bigman i am in exactly the same situation, and have read responses with interest. We moved house in December and now have the space for a dog. (Sorry if i'm hijacking your thread Bigman but it may be of relevance/interest).

A question to you experienced dog people out there, is having two dogs together from the beginning a help? As one of the options we have discussed as a family is geting a worker, and also getting a young resuce dog as a company and to give another dog a loving home.

Any advice ladies and gentlemen?

Cheers

Aled

That is a interesting idea mate , one for you one for the misses

Bigman

If you could take time off work to settle an older pup that would be great. If you could manage a week off that would give you time to get to know one another

A week would be no problem , don't think I'd want to go back after

Bigman it seems to me you would be a good dog owner, at least you are asking opinions when others just go out and get a dog.

My last pup I had was like having a new born baby in the house, feeding at least 4 times a day and she got the runs and was not well.

It would help if you could drop the dog off at dog minders while you were at work or get a dog walker to take it out while you were at work.

Trust me when I say they are hard work and very demanding......but I would not be without a dog

Thanks for the kind words mate believe me I know it's a huge commitment and I'm ready to take it on

You can of course buy a fully trained , dog which would be 18-24 months old so that would solve the feeding a puppy problem .

As for those that say don't get a dog if you work all day , then I say rubbish as long as it is exercised and you are spending time with it each day then get a dog if you want one.

Having said that if it is going to be shut up for long periods then a decent kennel and run would be a better option than using the house.

You can of course buy a fully trained , dog which would be 18-24 months old so that would solve the feeding a puppy problem .

As for those that say don't get a dog if you work all day , then I say rubbish as long as it is exercised and you are spending time with it each day then get a dog if you want one.

Having said that if it is going to be shut up for long periods then a decent kennel and run would be a better option than using the house.

Hi mate that is another option Iv be thinking about but was wondering about bonding from a young age must be better?

The longest dog would be left for probably around 5 hours or so an that wouldn't be everyday

Been looking online at some really nice kennel/run combos I wouldn't mind Kiping in some of them myself ,

Some time hopefully this year we are planning to have children so the misses will be at home all the time then , that's if things go to plan but they often don't ,

Atb

Edited by bigman

You know, very few people are with their dogs 24-7. However I shouldn't leave a pup in a house personally unattended. I know many who work normal hours yet their dogs get more attention than some give their dogs when they are mostly at home with the dogs kennelled outside

Hi mate that is another option Iv be thinking about but was wondering about bonding from a young age must be better?

The longest dog would be left for probably around 5 hours or so an that wouldn't be everyday

Been looking online at some really nice kennel/run combos I wouldn't mind Kiping in some of them myself ,

Some time hopefully this year we are planning to have children so the misses will be at home all the time then , that's if things go to plan but they often don't ,

Atb

Do kids first, more fun and better (kids cant fetch ducks from fast flowing gutters though better not try that one) - dogs and a first born? no thanks. You also get to set the rules, boundaries and limitations from day one which is better for both the dog and the kid

There was a 12 week old lab in our house when I was born, its perfectly possible if not the easiest thing to do. Your missus will love you when you leave her with a baby and a puppy, put a hard hat on to come home LOL

Edited by WGD

Do kids first, more fun and better (kids cant fetch ducks from fast flowing gutters though better not try that one) - dogs and a first born? no thanks. You also get to set the rules, boundaries and limitations from day one which is better for both the dog and the kid

That made me chuckle ,makes sense to do kids first I guess I'm sure the misses will agree with you also :-)

There was a 12 week old lab in our house when I was born, its perfectly possible if not the easiest thing to do. Your missus will love you when you leave her with a baby and a puppy, put a hard hat on to come home LOL

Ha I bet , full on body armor may be better , cheers

Update , been thinking long an hard since this post and have decide unfortunately the dog is going to wait till after the first born hopefully this year ,

To be honest I'm a little gutted but have to think sensibly ,

Thanks for all the responses they have been very helpful in this decision ,in the mean time I'm going to be reading up on everything I can find on Labradors training and careing for

Plus it'll give me time to build the finest kennel/run that I can

Atb a rather gutted Bigman .