Lost ferret

Andy17

hi all,

On sunday just gone I lost my best working ferret (polecat hob) whilst working a large set around a thistle bush. His collar had been snagged up which we found but there was no sign of him (first time he'd layed up). The area I was ferreting was a hedgerow surrounding a large rape field. This hedgerow pretty much has large warrens running through with 20-30yards gap between each one and at the bottom is a set approx 200yards long. I have left his box out by the set I lost him(with food and water) and checked it twice a day with no signs of him.

Now I know no one really knows what a ferret would do out in wild but has anyone else lost a ferret and its turned up in the same hedgerow, in the day/night, back in its box etc?n I was thinking of borrowing some rabbit traps and baiting them. Would a ferret stay in the hedgerows or head out into the open? (the area is surrounded by large crop and pasture fields). Whats the cut off point for looking for him eg how long would he stay in the area and can ferrets live ok in the wild providing they don't get picked up by foxes, hawks etc. to me he's priceless but the pocket is getting real empty on petrol and he could be anywhere.

Sorry for the long post,am just gutted, what a kick in the family jewels :(

All the best

Andy

Sorry for your loss ....it is a grippper mate, but I thinks this has happened to most of us....

I have lost some good uns' over the years... sometimes you can get em back...but most of the time you don't........ :(

I once lost a big silver hob down a covered mine shaft whilst ferreting over CORUS....it was about 30 ft down under rubble and iron ore and slag....... just no way I could get him...it brought a tear to my eye...i'll tell you

I have seen and captured the odd 'ferel; ferret, and I supposed like anything..if there is plenty of grub...and somewhere nice and warm to sleep they may do fine....

I would think after 3 or 4 days he may have moved on with thirst and hunger .....

Depending on the area you lost him in, I wouldn't give up for a couple of weeks.

The longest I have had one go AWOL, was three days, but I picked up a friends ferret three weeks after it had laid up.

Visit the area at least once a day (if you can).

Speak to the Farmer/farmworkers and tell them you have lost a ferret and where, ask them to give you a ring if they spot it.

thanks for the replies guys much apreciated,

Just got in from looking for him, still no luck but as I walked down the hedgerow to where I left the box I heard rumbling in one of the warrens, do rabbits tend to make noise even if nothing is down there with them or am I looking for any excuse to keep going back.

All the best

Andy