warning currys electrical store

foggy011983

WARNING ABOUT CURRY'S ELECTRICAL STORE!!!!!THEY WONT REFUND BUYERS BEWARE

Just been out with my dad to buy a new cooker hood extractor. We found one in currys and asked the salesman to open the box so we could check the colour and quality of the item.

We was satisfied so bought it.

When I got home I took the plastic collar and found it didnt fit our existing ducting. We went to several places, Partridges, Hughes and Buildbase where we was advised it was a european fitting and not standard. To get a converter would be hard to fit it.

We decided to take the item back to currys in Ipswich at the copdock roundabout.The manager refused to give a refund, saying the box had been opened. We explained the salesman opened it, cctv could verify this and it had no dimensions on the box of the ducting pipe for us to know what the sizes where anyhow.

He then proceded to say even if the box was opened, if we removed any part from the opened box it was now second hand and as such could offer no refund.

The manager said it was a standard fitting, so we explained where we had been and the advice we was given, but he refused to budge saying it was a standard fitting.

I have recorded part of the conversation and he even at one point said to me did I pay for it and I said no my dad did and the ignorant ***** told me to be quiet!!

The item has not been used. We did not open the box. The connections are not standard fitments. we tried to return within 2 hours of buying the item.

As far as im concerned I will never shop there or any of their associated stores again, because if you have a problem they WILL NOT GIVE YOU A REFUND BEWARE!!!!!

We are now in the proceeds of speaking to trading standards but all of you please BEWARE

I had hassle with them a few years back I won they lost, I cant help you on this one but infuture if you want something electrical and its something that PC World does as well but havent any stock, they will nip round to Currys pick up and you buy from PC World, a much better service, in a nutshell I hate Currys at the interchange A- Holes

Alan

After what happened i will not shop at any of their associated stores like pc world as they are part of the same company.

I'm glad you managed to win. we are going through trading standards, but the main thing is its the extra hassle.

You don't expect this from a major shop.

they were on Watchdog a while ago for similar problems but i forgot about it.

the amount of angry people who have pm'd me who have had similar problems is rediculous. No wonder comet went under if they did the same as currys.

WARNING ABOUT CURRY'S ELECTRICAL STORE!!!!!THEY WONT REFUND BUYERS BEWARE

Just been out with my dad to buy a new cooker hood extractor. We found one in currys and asked the salesman to open the box so we could check the colour and quality of the item.

We was satisfied so bought it.

When I got home I took the plastic collar and found it didnt fit our existing ducting. We went to several places, Partridges, Hughes and Buildbase where we was advised it was a european fitting and not standard. To get a converter would be hard to fit it.

We decided to take the item back to currys in Ipswich at the copdock roundabout.The manager refused to give a refund, saying the box had been opened. We explained the salesman opened it, cctv could verify this and it had no dimensions on the box of the ducting pipe for us to know what the sizes where anyhow.

He then proceded to say even if the box was opened, if we removed any part from the opened box it was now second hand and as such could offer no refund.

The manager said it was a standard fitting, so we explained where we had been and the advice we was given, but he refused to budge saying it was a standard fitting.

I have recorded part of the conversation and he even at one point said to me did I pay for it and I said no my dad did and the ignorant p%&ck told me to be quiet!!

The item has not been used. We did not open the box. The connections are not standard fitments. we tried to return within 2 hours of buying the item.

As far as im concerned I will never shop there or any of their associated stores again, because if you have a problem they WILL NOT GIVE YOU A REFUND BEWARE!!!!!

We are now in the proceeds of speaking to trading standards but all of you please BEWARE

You are entitled to a refund under the sale of goods act "goods must be fit for the purpose for which they are sold". This is the responsibility of the Seller not the buyer to check! Take cars sell someone a Nissan note to pull a caravan and yes its unfit! A big 4x4 that wont go in the garage? - just the same! If you were clearly informed that not all hoods fit all ducts or you must make sure your duct size is compatible with the sizing at point of purchase then the manager is correct- but that's not likely as they know nothing of 99% of that which they sell. Return it again or go to trading stds and get them to sort it! All the open box means is they cannot return it or sell it on so easy - tough luck them for bad selling

That is exactly right and sadly the manager is not sticking to the regulations.

We didn't even open the box. It was opened in store by the salesman before we bought it.

Personally (i don't know i can only speculate) it looked like the box had been opened before. a salesman started to process a refund on computer then he suddenly stopped and went to get the manager.

I think the item had been returned before for the same reason it won't fit uk fittings and there was a marker on the computer to not offer any refund as they wanted rid of it.

I may be wrong it just looks that way to me.

If you speak to the sales people in PC World they will tell the same the number of complaints they have about Currys

I know they are part of the same group but they are so helpfull

I know generally the average 6th former knows more than PC World but they do offer a much bettere service or so I have found up to now.

Good luck

Alan

With respect to your story I think there may be a missing part of the story here.

I work at head office so what i don't know I can find out regards refund policies. Currys is not a fly by night company that will sell goods that will not meet standards in this country. Secondly being a consumer you have your rights and Currys is very aware of that. Do they make mistakes, off course they do, but if they upset more people than they pleased they would be in the same place as Comet and not the leading electrical retailer in the whole of Europe.

You say the salesman opened the box, why hasn't the salesman been asked the question? They work on commission so the sale will be linked to him.

What make extractor did you buy? What figment does it have? Does it make sense to you that Currys would buy thousands of these exctractors knowing they won't work In anybody's house in the UK?

Was the extractor on a manager special or clearance? These may have no refund policies?

I cant accept the store will not refund simply due to the box being opened. I'd be more than happy to check this on Monday and come back to say I was wrong but I doubt that will be the case.

Edited by Cosd

If you speak to the sales people in PC World they will tell the same the number of complaints they have about Currys

I know they are part of the same group but they are so helpfull

I know generally the average 6th former knows more than PC World but they do offer a much bettere service or so I have found up to now.

Good luck

Alan

Thats fair enough.

The way im just feeling at the moment I dont want any of my hard earned money going to any part of that company.

I notice your location is pretty much the same as me. I used to live in chelmsford essex and now live in ipswich suffolk.

+1 for the proud to live in suffolk LOL.

ATB

Steve

With respect to your story I think there may be a missing part of the story here.

I work at head office so what i don't know I can find out regards refund policies. Currys is not a fly by night company that will sell goods that will not meet standards in this country. Secondly being a consumer you have your rights and Currys is very aware of that. Do they make mistakes, off course they do, but if they upset more people than they pleased they would be in the same place as Comet and not the leading electrical retailer in the whole of Europe.

You say the salesman opened the box, why hasn't the salesman been asked the question? They work on commission so the sale will be linked to him.

What make extractor did you buy? What figment does it have? Does it make sense to you that Currys would buy thousands of these exctractors knowing they won't work In anybody's house in the UK?

Was the extractor on a manager special or clearance? These may have no refund policies?

There is no way a store will not refund simply due to the box being opened. With receipt details I can find out everything I need to know to assess the situation. And if the manager is at fault you will get a refund.

If it helps to rectify the situation I will gladly speak to you. It may be the manager in that particular store has it wrong and if we can come to a conclusion I would be more than happy.

If you would like to do this i can pass you my phone number or if you have a contact phone number I will gladly call you.

PS if you require I also have the later part of the conversation recorded. This may help you believe what happened.

Steve

Edited by foggy011983

Cosd any chance we can exchange details then to talk further?

As ive said all I want is to get the situation rectified.

I own my own limited company and there is no way I would treat others the way I have been.

I will gladly remove all postings on the forums if this can be resolved.

End of the day we bought the item at 11.29 we tried to return at 2 pm as we found it wouldnt fit the ducting.

We tried to get a adaptor from b&q, buildbase, partridges and hughes electrical, all places only stocked the fittings we currently have in our house.

We was advised by buildbase the ducting attachment was european and we would find it hard to get a adaptor.

the item was NOT used or fitted.

We did not open the box the salesman Jim did.

PLEASE PLEASE if you want to help sort this I will be more than happy to switch contact numbers.

Cosd any chance we can exchange details then to talk further?

As ive said all I want is to get the situation rectified.

I own my own limited company and there is no way I would treat others the way I have been.

I will gladly remove all postings on the forums if this can be resolved.

End of the day we bought the item at 11.29 we tried to return at 2 pm as we found it wouldnt fit the ducting.

We tried to get a adaptor from b&q, buildbase, partridges and hughes electrical, all places only stocked the fittings we currently have in our house.

We was advised by buildbase the ducting attachment was european and we would find it hard to get a adaptor.

the item was NOT used or fitted.

We did not open the box the salesman Jim did.

PLEASE PLEASE if you want to help sort this I will be more than happy to switch contact numbers.

Pm me receipt number and date of purchase and I will speak to someone on Monday to look into it.

More than happy to try to resolve this for you.

I buy only when it's the last resort from Currys - over the years I have witnessed, and been subject to their utter lack of product knowledge and mis-leading advice.

If it's AV that I am after then I use Richer Sounds (other electrical retailers are available) and for white goods I will use places like Currys to look at them prior to buying online.

Absolute shower of ****.

Pm me receipt number and date of purchase and I will speak to someone on Monday to look into it.

More than happy to try to resolve this for you.

Pm has been sent to you conatining all the receipt details.

Thank you for you help and I really do appreciate it especially as its a weekend and I take it your day off.

Regards

Steve

the idiot is just trying to pull a fast one. Ive had this sort of thing in the past about opening a box, how do you know something is broke untill its opened?

I actually loved the Dixons internet side of things, used to be the cheapest on the net and you could always get voucher codes. Of course thats disappeared now :(