LCD tv

Amazed

Hi all,

Our main telly died on us late last year so it's time to get a new one we have been looking and really carnt decide.

We haven't got a fortune to spend let's say 400 notes topps.

The old one was a 42 inch Samsung plasma which only lasted 3 years :(

Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Karl.

Speak to the retailer about TV (unless its Comet). Just because it's out of warranty doesn't mean you don't have a right to repair/replacement.

Do some online research on 'goods not fit for purpose' and 'for a reasonable amount of time', A branded TV should last longer than 3 years.

This isn't an easy route to take (you'll need to prove goods were faulty at point of purchase OR there is a history of failure with this product), but it's better than shelling out £400 notes on a new one!

wot happened to the tv?

It's been in and the display driver has gone be over 250 for the part alone :(

Speak to the retailer about TV (unless its Comet). Just because it's out of warranty doesn't mean you don't have a right to repair/replacement.

Do some online research on 'goods not fit for purpose' and 'for a reasonable amount of time', A branded TV should last longer than 3 years.

This isn't an easy route to take (you'll need to prove goods were faulty at point of purchase OR there is a history of failure with this product), but it's better than shelling out £400 notes on a new one!

I have tried mate. Plasma TVs only came with a 1 year guarantee back then, it was a good deal at the time.

My plasma came with a 5 year guarantee. They are expensive little things to fix - so if you can get an extended warranty, all the better. You might pay a little more, but sometimes it is worth it. John Lewis offer 5 year guarantees on all their TV's.

The Richer Sounds guarantee is good too - but costs 10% extra. Do the sums, and see where you get the best deal.

Edited by aris

How times have changed.

My first 42 inch plasma was £6500 and went pop in a year, same thing happened with the replacement, eventually it got replaced with a Panasonic and touch wood it's been great for must be 10 years now.

A plasma receiving a good digital signal is better than LCD

We bought an LG 42" LCD Tv years ago, from Richer Sounds. Got a decent deal, knocked quite a bit off a fancy glass stand too. That was 6ish years ago I would say, maybe more. Still going strong. It's now in the kids sitting room.

We then, maybe late last summer bought an LG 42" LED 3D smart TV. A nice tv, decent picture, does everything I want. Much thinner than the old LCD one, similar to this one:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/42lm3400/lg-42lm3400

Kind regards

Jonathan

Edit: it also has a decent looking remote too. I have bought TV's in the past that looked nice, but the remote looked like no design had gone into it, and the buttons were pap.

Edited by jgguinness

Buy it from john lewis get a 5 year warranty....................

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue40es5500-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-40-inch-with-freeview-hd/p231560690 cough up the extra £49 and relax in the fact you have it for 5 years.............

John Lewis will price match so if you find it £49 cheaper take In proof!

John Lewis price match on anything!!