try decoying crows

private pike

hi all me and a friend have had a go at decoying pigeons this weekend. with very few coming to the pattern so we turned to roost shooting and that was just as bad not a pigeon in sight. so today we went out with the crow decoys we did not get to our permission until 4.45pm. we got the decoys out and the caller turned on and wow the crows came out to play i did not get many shots of but the ones i did found there mark. all but one 7 out of 8 fired thats good for me my friend who has just had a lesson on the clays today only got one i think he tried a bit to hard to put into practise what he had been taught.what a change from pigeon we had a very good time and will give it a go for longer the next time we go. so i say try something different and have a go at the crow

the caller in question is my mate with his reid crow caller he sounds like a strangled duck but he is getting there

A most excellent piece of back tracking :lol: , so I guess when you say" you got the caller turned on" you must have been talking dirty or something to him :lol:

Don't worry you are the latest in a long line of people to shoot themselves in the foot (no pun intended) on here.

Exellent backtracking, Don't tell them your name pike. On a serious note don't bother with electronic calls as they tend to bring every crow in the district in together and if you have a shot you will just educate them all not to come near again, stick to calling with a mouth call, more fun, better rewards in the end, as said try a flapper with as many good decoys as you can get at least 2 feet apart with a sentry in a tree near by, build a hide with a roof that you can't see if you walk 15 yards away and most importantly camo your hands and face and keep still till you shoot.

had to laugh at the original post :lol: :lol: :lol: . using an electronic crow caller,,tut tut, must think we are all daft on here, but hey all i can say is dont get caught because it is illegal,

on another point put your decoys out starting from about 20yrds from the hide,,good luck but most of all keep ya eye out for the little anti who will now be trying to catch you with the little electronic box of tricks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks tod for the very good advice we will give that a go. can you tell me please the best distance out to put the decoys as i thought we might have put them a bit to close to us

Try 25 yards with a good spread of decoys out to 35 yards, try with the flapper in the middle, this will distract attention away from your hide, dont forget a sentry near by. Have fun and experiment, what works one day may not work the next,

had to laugh at the original post :lol: :lol: :lol: . using an electronic crow caller,,tut tut, must think we are all daft on here, but hey all i can say is dont get caught because it is illegal,

on another point put your decoys out starting from about 20yrds from the hide,,good luck but most of all keep ya eye out for the little anti who will now be trying to catch you with the little electronic box of tricks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know funny as. :lol:

dont think he knew it was illegal lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

crow decoying is shooting at its best! me and my shooting buddy shoot hundreds if not thousands each year, its taken us years to learn the art of crow decoying! we regular shoot good bags but it does go tits up at times! crows are far from stupid and feild craft needs to be good! hands face covered up! a good hide camo'd up with natural vegitation! stay still until ur ready to fire! floaters dont work up here they flare off at the sight of them, flappers have there place but somtimes spook them! you need to find where they are feeding the night before u intend to shoot and get there at dark in the morning as chances are they will return to feed there at first light! DO NOT fire at large groups of crow because they will not return again until you are gone! use flocked decoys approx 4 feet apart leave a clear zone to shoot them in as this is where they will most likely land! this is known as the kill zone! personaly you must kill every crow you shoot at or if you miss have your freind follow up, this is my exoerience to having a good day! each crow shot is a crow landed to its mates!

best caller in my opinion is the primos power crow caller i use this to very good effect but takes practice! if they come without a call dont call untill they stop, same goes fir picking up dead birds! rotarys are a waiste of time as i have found they have the same effect up here as floaters! rooks are harder to decoy then crows so as i said stay still abd quiet! if uts sunny have the sun behind you this works magic for us as there sight is reduced! and last thing if you have the option decoy different areas to let them recover before you shoot again! its amazing how fast they learn! hope this helps! good luck

My Primos Power caller turned up today so of I head to some recently drilled corn to see how well it works. Even tho I'm still trying to get the hang of using the call and I had a pretty bad hide (couple of army surplus sniper vials on poles) I was able to call in the crows with ease, some just couldnt resist the decoys and crow call combo even after they'd seen me they came back.

cracking bit of kit :good: