What to do next?

bunnybasha

I am currently working as a maintenance electrician, and have been thinking what I should do in the future,but not ready to give up the tools just yet. Im looking for something that will earn me more money in the future and keep from driving all over the country.The work I do now isn't exactly challenging so I don't find it all that rewarding. Ive been an electrician for 10 years and have completed my c&g 2330 level 3, 17th edition, 2391, nvq level 3, ipaf, asbestos course, first aid and petrol forecourt licence. So any ideas on a course while its all still fresh(ish), anyone done a hnc/hnd?

Have you any idea of price/ duration of course? Did you do day release or nights? Thanks

I was lucky, my company paid for my course so not entierly sure what it will cost, I think about £2500 ish. Part time will be a 2 year course.

It's deff worth while if you can get the time, engineers can earn anything from 35K - 60K+

I've done my hnc quite recently, had a look about and its about the norm now to have one, I beleve it gives you engineering technician status not engineer according to the iet..... Depends on how the company classify you tho. They call anyone a engineer these days see if you can work these out : refuse disposal engineer, metalic fusion engineer and human systems engineer. 5 points each lol

I work for the biggest distribution company in the UK - UKPN (Most will remember them as the LEB, LE, EDF)

HNC is will give you an engineers status, but you will need some network experience to land the role, sounds like bunnybasha has been around the block, with he's other experience and qualifications he could make engineer after a year once he lands the HNC

I've done my hnc quite recently, had a look about and its about the norm now to have one, I beleve it gives you engineering technician status not engineer according to the iet..... Depends on how the company classify you tho. They call anyone a engineer these days see if you can work these out : refuse disposal engineer, metalic fusion engineer and human systems engineer. 5 points each lol

How long did it take you? And how much if u don't mind?

I am currently working as a maintenance electrician, and have been thinking what I should do in the future,but not ready to give up the tools just yet. Im looking for something that will earn me more money in the future and keep from driving all over the country.The work I do now isn't exactly challenging so I don't find it all that rewarding. Ive been an electrician for 10 years and have completed my c&g 2330 level 3, 17th edition, 2391, nvq level 3, ipaf, asbestos course, first aid and petrol forecourt licence. So any ideas on a course while its all still fresh(ish), anyone done a hnc/hnd?

Hate to do it now but I have HND and BSc and work in AV...... Money can be better although not always.....For a role where every day is different but same old **** have a look at http://www.gvmultimedia.com/ They have offices all over also http://www.avmvision.com/ As for courses etc Infocomm CTS is where to start but like most you'll need some experience particularly in the IT side. http://www.infocomm.org/cps/rde/xchg/infocomm/hs.xsl/21952.htm the boundry between LV and 240V is blurring PoE+ etc and new regs (emergency lighting is going to get very big) Fire alarms, Disabled refuge, PA/VA all need a varied skills base most are electrically biased (I am rare in that I am pure AV (Systems engineering really) and not electrically qualified)

BInman, Welder, Doctor....

To be a real engineer you need an MEng (chartered) anything below that isn't an "Engineer" I would love to do an MEng when is started uni it was a BEng needed or Bsc + Meng then they changed it.....

As for not driving all over the place? Fixed site based is the only option... Have you ever worked in hotel/hospitality? Most big firm is contracted maintenance but some small medium ones have internal staff try and get a copy of "the caterer" magazine. Another area is theatre or live event work (tends to be a lot of travelling)

Personally i would get on as many H&S and RAMS courses as you can I am doing SSSTS tomorrow should be fun!

Edited by HDAV

my work place makes car parts we got two on each shift either hnc or onc and they got treated like sh.. for 28 to 30k a year .18 moulding machines ,1 assembly carousel and lots of punch presses .2 maintenence men for at least 40 different machines ,be careful where u apply this is industry wide in the car parts world .but good luck whatever u decide :good:

• 3 weeks later...