Gun Paterns

Barney86

Hi

Can anyone that's patterned a few guns give me an idea of what I should be looking at and the variation between guns?

I bought 1000 Eley Olympics 8's and headed off the the clay ground to try them out (normally use 21g or 26g Lyalvale 7.5's). My score was far worse than normal. As the place was empty, the guy who runs it opened up some empty boxes for me to shoot at to see the pattern. I certainly wasn't expecting a perfect circle pattern, but the result was hideous, with a quite a few clay-sized gaps within about an 18inch circle @ 20 yds

My old carts were more uniform, but smaller pattern overall (less lead) and a 32g 6 (super game) looked pretty good too.

It seems as though (for my gun with these carts) choke choice for mid-range clays is a trade off between lucky hits with the fliers at the edge of the pattern, verses unlucky misses where the shot misses the clay. Is this a fair assessment?

Comments welcome - but I'd rather not need to buy a new gun!!

i think it would be a miracle if the clay just happened to be in that gap of your pattern!,myself i dont believe in these pattern tests as it would show the pattern from the whole string of shot at a stationary target,most targets would be on the move so would not be hit by the whole string of shot so the pattern at a stationary target would be irrelevant,pattern testing is ok if looking at width of spread and POI but i would not read anything else into it,just my opinion :good:

andrew

Hi

Can anyone that's patterned a few guns give me an idea of what I should be looking at and the variation between guns?

I bought 1000 Eley Olympics 8's and headed off the the clay ground to try them out (normally use 21g or 26g Lyalvale 7.5's). My score was far worse than normal. As the place was empty, the guy who runs it opened up some empty boxes for me to shoot at to see the pattern. I certainly wasn't expecting a perfect circle pattern, but the result was hideous, with a quite a few clay-sized gaps within about an 18inch circle @ 20 yds

My old carts were more uniform, but smaller pattern overall (less lead) and a 32g 6 (super game) looked pretty good too.

It seems as though (for my gun with these carts) choke choice for mid-range clays is a trade off between lucky hits with the fliers at the edge of the pattern, verses unlucky misses where the shot misses the clay. Is this a fair assessment?

Comments welcome - but I'd rather not need to buy a new gun!!

NO!

If you already have the gun, don't worry about other guns!

Sort out what you wish to do with it;

Pigeons.

Driven Game.

Sporting Clays.

Trap Disciplines.

Skeet.

Once you have an idea of what you wish to KILL or BREAK, then you can decide on which choke to use and then look around for a cartridge that you can pattern properly on a PATTERN PLATE!

Work out the expected range, size of target and your budget.

I suspect you don't mean cartridge cartons so a "box" may give a fair assessment at 20 yards. Your No 8s were shooting 3/4 choke and as the whole of the load (bar the odd flyer) would have been in the 18", there patently should have been no gaps as you describe. Other than to say that it's likely that they do not suit your gun, there's no need for further comment simply because Tightchoke has given the definitive answer. Using 6 shots from a previously fired barrel will provide a sufficiently accurate average 'field' assessment.