To flock or not to flock?

Wa02ger

Hello my fellow pigeon watchers.

I am in need of some pigeon decoys as at some point over the last 5 months mine seem to have flown off somewhere. This is my second season shooting so would like some advice on whether I should buy painted or flocked decoys and also how many should I be taking on a days shoot.

Many thanks

Flocked, if it's shells you are after. I've had our site sponsors' ones for around three years and none of the flock has come off at all.

All that said, I use a dozen FUD's and mix in 5 flocked shells. I know it's an odd number but that is how many I can fit in my bucket seat along with flapper, battery and a single Hyperflap.

The FUD's are very good, but in my opinion the original ground spike needs to be removed and a home made rod used instead. This cuts down the weight by about 90% and you can make different length rods for use on different crop height. When the crop gets too tall I don't use the shells.

FUD's look good but as standard have no movement and for me are a bit on the small side. I have had better results with un-flocked shells on spring sticks - gives them a bit of a wobble in a breeze. Thats just me though and each to thier own :)

I wasn't too worried about the bulk so I ordered ten the other night and they arrived today. They look good but lets see what the pigeons make of them. I do have some silosock decoys but they've got a bit battered up and dirty in the bag carrying them about.

I'm going out this weekend and my setup will be the ten prodecoys and a whirly with a couple of silosock hyperflaps (which I do like on the whirly!)

I went out today on rape but Pigeons were across the road on new drillings so nothing most of the day.

Moved position twice and only managed to shoot two pigeons in the last position of the day so a hard day all round with the ground wet and muddy.

So all in all very inconsiderate of the farmer across the road to distract all my pigeons!

I quite liked the prodecoys though as you can just stuff them in a bag and they're quick and easy to put out in the field. I didn't use any sticks just put them on the ground. Of the very few pigeons I did see one did land right inbetween them and the whirly albeit about 40 yards out which I failed to bring down.

I agree though I wouldn't want to be spending loads of money on them and bulk wise ten is about what I'm prepared to carry (maybe fifteen max)

I went out today on rape but Pigeons were across the road on new drillings so nothing most of the day.

Moved position twice and only managed to shoot two pigeons in the last position of the day so a hard day all round with the ground wet and muddy.

So all in all very inconsiderate of the farmer across the road to distract all my pigeons!

I quite liked the prodecoys though as you can just stuff them in a bag and they're quick and easy to put out in the field. I didn't use any sticks just put them on the ground. Of the very few pigeons I did see one did land right inbetween them and the whirly albeit about 40 yards out which I failed to bring down.

I agree though I wouldn't want to be spending loads of money on them and bulk wise ten is about what I'm prepared to carry (maybe fifteen max)

You will need something to get them off the ground as the crops grow! :good:

Yes agreed on that, and although I like the neoprene concept I do hope the plastic inserts that are designed to hold the sticks/pegs are up to the job on an on-going basis (they look a bit flimsy to me?) ... time will tell.

My experience this winter (which is my first decoying) is that the pigeons haven't really taken notice of any setup or combination that I've come up with thus far and the only luck I've had is shooting on flight lines. (apart from one day where they liked the whirly for some unknown reason never to be repeated?)

So I'm now kind of getting this kit ready for when the pigeons might want to start decoying!?

I can get out for one full day per week so am a bit limited on doing recon etc. so I'm limited to trying my luck when I turn up .. roll on early retirement!