Kent wildfowlers

Dominicrobed

First thing get in contact with KWCA, and take it from there.

There's nothing to be nervous about,we all had to start somewhere

I have sent an email so just waiting for a reply. Are you a member ? Are the permits easy to use ?

Rhank you for your help

I have sent an email so just waiting for a reply. Are you a member ? Are the permits easy to use ?

Rhank you for your help

No not a member, I fowl on the other side of the country, think you'll find KWCA more than willing to help you.

You'll have to be accompanied for a time anyway, so you won't be going into unknown territory and unknown tides on your own

The Kent wildfowlers works something like this,you apply for membership form,fill it in and return with 15 pounds..you then become an associate member....then decide what type of member you want to be.....full membership is a further 230 pounds per annum and includes BASC club membership, you are assigned a ...mentor....to assist you with any questions you might have and if you get the right one he may even take you out on the mud,They run syndicate areas.but this comes at extra cost,The permit system works like this..some areas you can book and print on line, monthly permits, and go any time during that allotted month,other areas you have to phone the permit officer,and if there are vacancies on the day you choose, then you pick up the permit from a given point,a lot of areas are governed by how many times they can be shot in a given time,You fill in a returns form when you have used the permit and this information is only seen by certain club members They have a lot of ground,some areas you can park and walk 100yds to the sea wall others can be a 2 mile or further walk,I joined 2 years ago but will not be renewing my membership,and will be looking for another club,even if it means travelling further,by all means give it a go,like i did,But if you judge a days shooting by the amount of times you pull the trigger,wildfowlings not for you. ATB

The dog thing needs consideration, you cant shoot tide without a dog on 99% of venues and you will struggle on evening flights on many. Even when you pick your spot and time things can turn difficult with wounders. But it can be done many have done it in the past and still do it today. Wildfowling proper is quite a bit to do with tides and shooting in darkness so examine the no dog thing. It is certainly not about numbers shot the last four or five visits last year I blanked not even firing a shot about once a season I expect to get some good shooting in but its very much about being there and doing it, for me a dog is part of that we settle down someplace in the cold and dark and wait for the tide to run or the duck to flight to the flashes under the cover of darkness. The most shots I have fired this season is 10 and that session started 2 hrs before sun up and ended 2 hrs after sun set in September. You have to try it and see if its for you. I know little about Kent Wildfowlers other than their drive to secure more and more shooting- were you live I should give it a go!

The dog thing needs consideration, you cant shoot tide without a dog on 99% of venues and you will struggle on evening flights on many. Even when you pick your spot and time things can turn difficult with wounders. But it can be done many have done it in the past and still do it today. Wildfowling proper is quite a bit to do with tides and shooting in darkness so examine the no dog thing. It is certainly not about numbers shot the last four or five visits last year I blanked not even firing a shot about once a season I expect to get some good shooting in but its very much about being there and doing it, for me a dog is part of that we settle down someplace in the cold and dark and wait for the tide to run or the duck to flight to the flashes under the cover of darkness. The most shots I have fired this season is 10 and that session started 2 hrs before sun up and ended 2 hrs after sun set in September. You have to try it and see if its for you. I know little about Kent Wildfowlers other than their drive to secure more and more shooting- were you live I should give it a go!

Thanks for the info. I can't get a dog until we can afford a house in about 2 years so will have to do it without one until then.

Life is to short to wait 2 years and unless I get out there and give it a go i will never know if its for me or not.

Not letting a shot go is no prob either iv been pigeon shooting lately an have had no shots , when they don't come I. They just don't come in , I just like being out and about because I am stuck in at work all week with no windows and just love going out in the fresh air. ( and no shots save the pocket being bashed lol )

Going to fill in and post the membership form when hopefully this week it turns up.

Iv had a few email chats with members the last fee days and I'm looking forward to it :-)

No not a member, I fowl on the other side of the country, think you'll find KWCA more than willing to help you.

You'll have to be accompanied for a time anyway, so you won't be going into unknown territory and unknown tides on your own

Other side of the country? Have they not bought out the whole of the uk yet?

As a Full Member of KWCA, the following applies, it's been lifted from their website. What it doesn't say is how long in advance you need to book a permit. I'd suspect that they can't be done on the day though which kills it for me. I like to be able to look at the rapidly worsening weather and making the snap decision to get down the marsh.

Shooting Permits

All KWCA shooting areas are controlled by a permit system that allows us to carefully regulate shooting over its 60 miles of coastline and 13000 acres of marsh and mudflats.

Once you have joined the Kent Wildfowlers as a full member, permits are free; you can collect in person, have them send by post or, in some cases, get them online.

Permits can be valid for half day, a day or a month depending on the area. Areas have rest periods ranging from; shot five times per season to shot every day of the year. There is no limit to the number of times you can go, provided there is a place available on the marsh you wish to shoot. There is always somewhere to go shooting; monthly permit areas are open all season and once you have a permit you are free to make as many visits as you want.

Permits double as site record cards. The return of permits therefore fulfils the important function of data collection; this data is analysed and retained by us in order for us to better understand how our marshes are being used. The club has built up a considerable amount of historical data about the marshes and the wildlife that lives there, and enables us to use accurate data to counter any accusations levied at us by those opposed to our sport.

The system of permits allow us to limit the numbers of people allowed to shoot a particular area of marsh as well as the dates when a marsh is rested and no one is allowed on the marsh.

Maps showing the different permit areas as well as shooting dates and any local restrictions, are issued to club members. Permits are freely available to members from Permit Issuing Officers, who usually live close to the area of marsh that they supervise.

Better the KWACA buy up land, where, by joining the club, any of us can have the opportunity to shoot it, rather than the RSPB where nobody will.

True, but not when they pull it from under the feet of other local fowlers (ie myself and 4 others on a small bit of salting on the Essex coast). I suppose that's market forces and the land owners perogative, but it does leave a sour taste in the mouth.

Edited by Penelope

I cant agree with a club who seems to want to buy up shooting rights anywhere they feel like it without any thought of the impact on wildfowlers who already shoot in the area. KWAs policy is to buy shooting rights to quote their chairman " where ever it suits our busness plan ". That statment shows that no marsh in the country is safe from their grasp. The effect ripples out well beyond the land they obtain. Local landowners have their ear to the ground and when they hear a club is prepared to pay £100,000 for a fairly small shooting lease they start to think what they can get for their own land. I am expecting a huge rise in my clubs shooting rent when our lease expires in a few years probably beyond my finances so KWA will probably be the death knoll of much of my shooting. All under the guise of saving shooting , but in reality its shear greed and nothing else. I would not dream of buying shooting in Kent ( though it is the county of my birth ) so i cant see why a club from from Kent would want to take the shooting away from others over 100 miles from their home county unless its anything other than greed and jealousy of what others have. KWA has become a viper in the wildfowling comunity.

Edited by anser2

I cant agree with a club who seems to want to buy up shooting rights anywhere they feel like it without any thought of the impact on wildfowlers who already shoot in the area. KWAs policy is to buy shooting rights to quote their chairman " where ever it suits our busness plan ". That statment shows that no marsh in the country is safe from their grasp. The effect ripples out well beyond the land they obtain. Local landowners have their ear to the ground and when they hear a club is prepared to pay £100,000 for a fairly small shooting lease they start to think what they can get for their own land. I am expecting a huge rise in my clubs shooting rent when our lease expires in a few years probably beyond my finances so KWA will probably be the death knoll of much of my shooting. All under the guise of saving shooting , but in reality its shear greed and nothing else. I would not dream of buying shooting in Kent ( though it is the county of my birth ) so i cant see why a club from from Kent would want to take the shooting away from others over 100 miles from their home county unless its anything other than greed and jealousy of what others have. KWA has become a viper in the wildfowling comunity.

to me it seems a bit to cosy with Alan Jarrett who is WHT trustee( http://www.wht.org.uk/?page_id=55 ) and chairman of the Kent Wildfowling and Conservation Association,surely he will know all land available and costs when another wildfowling approaches the wht for a possible loan to buy wildfowling land :hmm:

well said that man. :good: craig

Which is such a pity in a sport that should respect each other and stand united.

I am only going to join them as they have ground I can shoot quite close to me and other ground I can use with an hours drive.

They also have ground in kent for air rifle shooting for rabbits that I would like to use as well , and that comes with the membership.

I am only going to join them as they have ground I can shoot quite close to me and other ground I can use with an hours drive.

They also have ground in kent for air rifle shooting for rabbits that I would like to use as well , and that comes with the membership.

Which makes perfect sense in you are in the county.