My first build.....17 Ackley hornet

SPARKIE

well over months of mulling it over and waiting im about finished on the build of my first semi custom rifle with just a few little bits to do.....for years ive had a .17 rem on ticket to buy but wanted a .17 rem fireball but was reluctant to spend the cash as i have .22-250 and nobody was chambering new rifles in fireball.

now when the hornady hornet was launched i thought this may do what i want so i started looking but all that was available was the dirty savage rifles.

I wanted a small light rifle for walking fields to shoot the odd fox and rabbits with but didnt like the savage so got talking to a few people and found my local gunshop had some bits and pieces i could use.....so i started by purchasing a cz zkw 465 in .22 hornet as a doner rifle for £30, the barrel was burnt out but the wood and action was in mint condition,also the magazine was missing and turned out to be one of cz's rarest parts. I managed to track one after a lot of internet searching.

I also managed to pick up a unchambered brand new stainless shilen barrel in .17 for £250 so got on the blower to steve kershaw who fitted the barrel and screwcut it for me and decided to go different and have it chambered in .17 ackley hornet.

In the mean time i ordered a grey pepper laminate stock for a cz 527 from boyds and treated it to multiple layers of tru oil. its taken a fair bit of work to get the action inlet to fit but its definatly worth it. ive topped it of with a ase s5 sound mod and the guns balanced lovely....now just need to get some glass and waiting on my dies and forming dies from america to get cracking on making and fire forming ammo for it.....

anyhow heres some pics

big thanks to-

Fister

Steve Kershaw

Martyn Bray at countryman of derby.

for offering advice/parts/and carrying out work.

483808_10151550975284282_1308127619_n.jpg

295550_10151550975149282_2062371932_n.jpg

734019_10151550975509282_1335931296_n.jpg

541475_10151550975559282_940484127_n.jpg

Edited by SPARKIE

why not? its just more capable but not over the top for what i want and its my first true wildcat.

the brass is .22hornet knecked down with a forming die and then fireformed to the chamber......then just reload the cases. ive bought the fl dies and bullberry forming die for £110 posted from the states if you were to buy the forming dies and fl dies here from rcbs they want £475

theres loads of info on the cal in the states websites like saubier,ammosmith,

Edited by SPARKIE

Looks lovely mate :good:

What are you looking at running through it bullet wise ?

IM THINKING 25GRAIN VMAX

Why not indeed! I just wondered what your thoughts were behind the choice. It certainly looks like more dies are available for the Ackley at the moment.

I am tempted to have a drive over to Catton just to have a look.

HOPEFULLY IT SHOULD BE COMPLETE BY THE TIME WE HAVE THE CATTON MEET.

Out of interest where did You get the Boyds stock from? Does anyone bring them in over here?

BOYDS WILL SEND THEM FROM THE STATES WHEN YOU ORDER THEM FROM THEM.

the mag for the 465 is completely different to the 527 it would of cost me a fortune to have a bottom metal and mag made for it.....i found the mag and it cost me £53 delivered.

heres a video made by 1967spud showing you how to form brass

pt 1

pt 2