BASC Council Election

I am a candidate in this year's BASC Council Election and I am seeking your vote. I am posting below my manifesto as it appeared on the voting paper with the last edition of Shooting & Conservation. You can vote online at www.basc.org.uk and follow the instructions. Please vote only once and vote for me - John Graham. Please ask all you friends who are BASC members to vote as well - Thanks.

I trained as an accountant and worked for one of the world’s largest multi-national organisations.

I’m someone whose glass is always half-full, never half-empty but I’m never complacent and I believe that there’s always something else that can be done.

I served on BASC Council from 1996 to 2006, the last two years as chairman. I have been chairman of the executive and finance committee, the disciplinary appeals committee and several other BASC committees. I was a trustee of the former staff pension fund. I am currently a member of the wildfowling liaison committee and the disciplinary appeals committee. I was elected a Vice-President of BASC in 2008.

I have been a member for 51 years and have considerable knowledge and experience of BASC and the shooing community, from assisting at shows and game fairs in my teens to involvement at the very highest level as chairman, which included regular interactions with other countryside organisations.

In addition to understanding what BASC stands for I’m also heavily involved in the grass roots of shooting through my involvement in one of the country’s most respected wildfowling clubs, so I know and understand the concerns and aspirations of the BASC membership, which are also my concerns and aspirations.

I abhor inefficiency because it means wasted effort and money and with a little thought it can be eliminated. BASC is a business and Council must manage it as such. The shareholders of the business are the members and they expect their money to be used wisely to protect and promote the sport they love.

I was able to use my knowledge and skills when as chairman, amongst a number of things, I reviewed the role and operation of Council, the committees, the chairman and chief executive which brought about improvements in efficiency that remain today

BASC is on the cusp of change. A new Chief Executive will inevitably bring a different outlook to the organisation and it’s important that any change combines the best of the old with the promises of the new. With my knowledge of BASC and from my experience of working in industry, I believe I will be ideally placed to assist in the further development of BASC.

An opportunity should be taken by Council for a root and branch review of BASC’s structure and operations, and in my experience, if that hasn’t been carried out for a number of years then practices will have developed that will have weakened BASC’s efficiency and profitably.

I am also a firm believer that BASC must involve itself in land acquisition which will place BASC in a stronger position when representing the shooting community in matters involving Governmental and Non-Governmental Organisations. We have fallen behind a number of other organisations in acquiring land but it’s not too late to start now. Land is an investment, not for the short term but for the future and I believe that BASC should be thinking about where it wants to be at the end of this century.

Do you feel that the depth and scope of the existing BASC education programmes/facilities available for general shooting is sufficient to ward off any unwarranted input, ie, legislation forcing it upon us, from European, or even UK, sources?

Speaking personally, I ain't got a clue what your question means ? Why would any training BASC provides be vulnerable to legislation from Europe ?

So BASC is on the cusp of change is it?

What change is BASC on the cusp of?

Why is it so important for BASC to buy land and what type of land would be purchased?

Will you be advocating BASC actually representing an individual when they need it rather than just when you think you might win?

What will BASC do for ME?

Ever the skeptic, you've been shooting for such a long time but only joined PW in August last year. Political move perhaps due to BASC having a large following on PW?

If you don't like them just don't join. Simples.

I can't see where you think you're coming from. I asked the guy a few questions. just because YOU didn't like them doesn't make them BASC bashing. For your information I used to be a member. Maybe - just maybe - the right answers to the questions may attract me to rejoin. Now climb down off your high horse, pick your dummy off the floor and, like me, wait for the answers from the person they were asked of.

:good: :good: :bye2: :bye2:

:yes::whistling:

Before this deteriorates into a slanging match, it's worth remembering that there's only one simple question - the definitive acid test - to determine the fitness for post of any BASC prospective employee or honorary servant. The conditions no longer apply as we've gone all plastic and steel, BUT:

Would he/she be comfortable and at ease sitting on a straw bale in the WAGBI/BASC members' enclosure at the CLA Game Fair?

Bit concerned about the new Director on that count.

I can't see where you think you're coming from. I asked the guy a few questions. just because YOU didn't like them doesn't make them BASC bashing. For your information I used to be a member. Maybe - just maybe - the right answers to the questions may attract me to rejoin. Now climb down off your high horse, pick your dummy off the floor and, like me, wait for the answers from the person they were asked of.

:good: :good: :bye2: :bye2:

Who said I was aiming my post at you specifically?

All I was doing is predicting what usually happens as soon as anyone from basc pops their head up.

Who said I was aiming my post at you specifically?

All I was doing is predicting what usually happens as soon as anyone from basc pops their head up.

As I was the only one to have posted any moderately contentious questions it was a fair assumption I think. :friends:

Take it evensong is out of the question! :whistling::lol:

Depends on the song. Hey Santa by Kevin Bl**dy Wilson wouldn't be far off the mark. It's turned to sleet now but still wet. :shoot:

So BASC is on the cusp of change is it?

What change is BASC on the cusp of?

Why is it so important for BASC to buy land and what type of land would be purchased?

Will you be advocating BASC actually representing an individual when they need it rather than just when you think you might win?

What will BASC do for ME?

Ever the skeptic, you've been shooting for such a long time but only joined PW in August last year. Political move perhaps due to BASC having a large following on PW?

While you're a member of the skirt wearing Scottish mob basc will do nothing for you!

On another thread elsewhere, a member said that he was shocked. Looking at that thread and now this one lead me to have a look at what specifically BASC currently offers in terms of, shall we say, more general courses, ie not quarry specific. If matey was shocked, I'm downright astounded in the extreme. We are discussing a basic level of knowledge which all shooters should ideally possess before moving into the field.

Currently on offer are three courses which fit the bill for the level mentioned above: They are termed, 'Firearms Awareness Courses' and cover, rifles, air rifles and shotguns. Now, I'm not too fussed what BASC charge non members but for the first two disciplines mentioned, the fee for this one day course for members is £125. For the third, the shotgun, there is no fee mentioned. Therefore I suspect it'll be whatever the 'Registered Trainer' who runs the course charges.

WHAT!?

I can't remember the exact price now, but c25 years ago a ten week course complete with handbook, theoretical and practical assessment, certificate and badges came to about one fifth of that figure. I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling that this may have been a little too cheap but not excessively so. This was because it was administered and run at county level by volunteers.

Now, I expect some flack but I'm not sorry for thinking that somewhere something has gone terribly wrong. How many youngsters/newcomers can find that sort of money on top of all the other expenses particularly when the amount is totally unnecessary?

I remain convinced that goodwill amongst shooters still exists and a similar organisation to that detailed above is still viable.

Again, I regret to say that I can detect profiteering where volunteering would suit us all better.

The manifesto seems entirely inward looking.

No statement of policy with regard to:

Firearms licensing improvements

Lead shot restrictions

Unwarranted certificate conditions impositions

Excessive costs of DSC courses

Practical in court support of members (i.e. mounting defence of members from unwarranted attack from RSPC prosecutions)

etc...

I would also like to see on the CV exactly how the candidate has helped individuals (anonymised if necessary) with case examples.

A summary of expenses reclaimed during previous tenure would be helpful.

While you're a member of the skirt wearing Scottish mob basc will do nothing for you!

Primarily for what the insurance offers and for the legal representation if I ever need it without having to beg. I do n't expect BASC to do anything for me at the moment but want to know what they'll do if I rejoin. Otherwise Alex, ask yourself why else I might have left BASC and gone that route. Outrageous annual fees to pay for directors cars could be one of many.

BTW I've a very nice tartan min i kilt you can borrow any time you like.

Edited by DaveK

Think I've been lucky; nearly made a mistake.

Sitting on the left of my desk on top of my dictionary there has been a Business Reply Service envelope addressed to Baker Tilly up Chester way which I was just about to post. Inside there is a cross against just one name. I needed the dictionary so said envelope is now on the right of the desk and as it happens is poised just above the waste paper bin.

I know that the question I asked of this "one name" has been seen and as there seems to be no interest in answering it, should I take any further interest in the progression of his objective or simply just give this envelope a little nudge, I ask myself. Perhaps I'll give him a little longer to consider his answer.

Nah, he could have quickly said, can I get back to you when I've had time to consider it.

Oops!

An apology from me is called for because I haven't answered your points but relatives can die at inconvenient times.

To Wymberley I will point out that I'm seeking to get onto Council and until I get there I don't know the ins and outs of the education policy.

To Greymaster and others, candidates are asked to answer 4 questions and are limited to a maximum of 500 words. There was much more than I wanted to say but the S & C Editor sticks to the rules.

John

I can say John has been active in Dee Wildfowlers Education process as regards class room work, the club have never to my knowledge have never charged for this. Neither have mentoring members charged to take out new lads. BASC has issues we all know that, so have most companies and associations and charities that are run by real people in real life

I am a candidate in this year's BASC Council Election and I am seeking your vote.

I served on BASC Council from 1996 to 2006, the last two years as chairman. I have been chairman of the executive and finance committee, the disciplinary appeals committee and several other BASC committees. I was a trustee of the former staff pension fund. I am currently a member of the wildfowling liaison committee and the disciplinary appeals committee. I was elected a Vice-President of BASC in 2008.

I have been a member for 51 years and have considerable knowledge and experience of BASC and the shooing community, from assisting at shows and game fairs in my teens to involvement at the very highest level as chairman, which included regular interactions with other countryside organisations.

BASC is a business and Council must manage it as such. The shareholders of the business are the members and they expect their money to be used wisely to protect and promote the sport they love.

practices will have developed that will have weakened BASC’s efficiency and profitably.

John,

My condolences on your loss. Sadly, the passing of any family member or friend is never convenient.

From your, by necessity, brief CV, and in view of your prior involvement with BASC as detailed, I have to say that I cannot see how you're ever going to get to grips with the education policy if you've never yet managed to do so.

BASC is a business organisation and Council must manage it as such. The shareholders stakeholders of the business organisation are the members and they expect their money to be used wisely to protect and promote the sport they love and not least to protect its future. To ensure there is sufficient money to do this, there must be funds allocated to a reserve.

Any reserve of funds is not profit. So what is this profit, that as a shareholder, I should be getting but never have.

I don't want BASC to make a profit - be efficient, yes - but after wisely ensuring that there's sufficient readies for the future we should be spending every penny for the benefit of the stakeholders with eduction at the top of the agenda.

Kent, sorry but I have no idea what your point is? Dee Wildfowlers has a robust and proven induction process, including classroom amd mentoring of probationary members and this has absolutley nothing to do with BASC?!

A question was asked about John's commitment to training in a previous that is all. John sat all the classroom sessions when I first joined the club. Yes Dee Wildfowlers do have the above robust process and ALL those who are active in it should be proud