ex miners

Davyo

Hi was just wondering if any ex miners on here, and how you managing with different jobs ext.I worked for British coal for 13yrs, took redundancy, then worked in a factory as a welder for 13 yrs(left because i was given young lads to help me who couldn't give a hoot & were weak as water) , now been stuck in an office behind a desk for 7yrs & its killing me, lads at work are either talking mod warfare something or other or playing with their girly hair.What happen to real men.Why we got a generation of pansy's & veggies. Most of all i miss the crack.

**** i feel old.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I was not down the pit but I Was working with 2 on a defibrillator course yesterday from kellingley mining rescue , I also work with a lot more ex miners in the glass industry in Barnsley ,it was glass or coal in Barnsley I was too young for coal so carried on with the last 3 generations of my family into glass, I've just been at football training with a bloke that worked down the pit all his life he now is the manager for a mining equipment company for a rock salt mine in Whitby , oh I also live 2 miles away from king aurther ,,, "is that a good thing" :) hard hat time lol ....there still out there mate, never met a bad one yet :)

Edited by delburt0

Hi was just wondering if any ex miners on here, and how you managing with different jobs ext.I worked for British coal for 13yrs, took redundancy, then worked in a factory as a welder for 13 yrs(left because i was given young lads to help me who couldn't give a hoot & were weak as water) , now been stuck in an office behind a desk for 7yrs & its killing me, lads at work are either talking mod warfare something or other or playing with their girly hair.What happen to real men.Why we got a generation of pansy's & veggies. Most of all i miss the crack.

**** i feel old.

Am not a miner or ex miner, but know what you mean about the crack. I worked in a office and thought it was canny with a good laugh. Started working at Nissan as a welder (been there 5yrs) and now know what good crack is. Don't like factory as hate being cooked up but the laugh with the lads help. Lucky for me there's now floppy fringes working with me so it helps. My only experience of a mine was at beamish and god knows how people spent there time down in the dirt

Edited by IXI KARL IXI

hey davyo you must be then,but your right the world seems to be full of wimps an pansies these days were all that left of the old breed,never been in the mines but all my ancesters were, all males were killed in the pits b4 they were 60,i,m lucky am older than that but ive been in the glass industry an commercial tyre fittin and hgv drivin now retired,an now i play with guns.

hey davyo you must be then,but your right the world seems to be full of wimps an pansies these days were all that left of the old breed,never been in the mines but all my ancesters were, all males were killed in the pits b4 they were 60,i,m lucky am older than that but ive been in the glass industry an commercial tyre fittin and hgv drivin now retired,an now i play with guns.

There is still hope am only 30 :) lol I do see some mates on Facebook and think ***. I was telling me mate about hunting and his words where uuuew, so I do kinda worry

Personally I was not down the pit but I Was working with 2 on a defibrillator course yesterday from kellingley mining rescue , I also work with a lot more ex miners in the glass industry in Barnsley ,it was glass or coal in Barnsley I was too young for coal so carried on with the last 3 generations of my family into glass, I've just been at football training with a bloke that worked down the pit all his life he now is the manager for a mining equipment company for a rock salt mine in Whitby , oh I also live 2 miles away from king aurther ,,, "is that a good thing" :) hard hat time lol ....there still out there mate, never met a bad one yet :)

You near Worsborough then ? , my dad worked at Barrow Colliery ( not on face ) and I walked through coking plant every morning to catch the bus to school , we lived in Blacker Hill .

Always remember the pitmen walking past our house to an from clocking on with their snap tins .

Im not a miner as im way to young not my era, but i know what you are saying! Im a young lad but iv grafted abd thats all i know, i was a scafolder, im a experienced aborist, and now im in an office job because work was hard to find and unreliable! Now i dont know what to do with myself most of the time! When my boss walks in i automaticly get out of my chair and start doing something because i feel like im sciving or summet lol even tho im not if u know what i mean! Luckily i work with an ex farmer in his 60s whos seen and lived the older generation so we have a good banter!! But yes the my generation are pansies and most dont even know there born! i like to think of myself as the exeption! Iv alot of respect for the older guys because they realy had to earn there keep, not like today!

Atb

john

The world is now full of gaylords and poofters who want to be warm and cosy and use remote controls for everything, there idea of a day out is a trip to the trafford centre to get groomed the poofters, Even the craic on building sites is rubbish now due to the PC brigade,

I'm off now to slaughter a cow and then cook me a steak on a fire in the woods, GRRRRRRRRRR

ATB

Flynny.

I've been working since I left school 20 odd years ago and the changes in the workplace are beyond belief. The banter when I was an apprentice was tremendous, but now its all PC this PC that, I keep reminding everybody that in a PC workplace everybody is miserable, in an non PC workplace only one person is miserable, but doesn't mind because he knows it'll be somebody else tomorrow :)

But I think your right most of the young lads I see are as weak as a junior disprol with no work ethic.

I grafted my nuts of since the day I left school till early june last year (am now 23) to get everything I have now and a good sum of money in the bank. Then with some money set up a little firm and now I have subbys working for me 6-7 days a week. I only go in 3-4 days a week now. Rest of the time im out with dogs or doing work around the house or the paddock. Etc

One thing I dont do is stroll around traffford centre flicking me fringe about lol.

The world is now full of gaylords and poofters who want to be warm and cosy and use remote controls for everything, there idea of a day out is a trip to the trafford centre to get groomed the poofters, Even the craic on building sites is rubbish now due to the PC brigade,

I'm off now to slaughter a cow and then cook me a steak on a fire in the woods, GRRRRRRRRRR

ATB

Flynny.

totally agree about the craic on the sites,you used to be able to have a good laugh.not now everyones seems to be a misrable ***, :sad1:

used to enjoy work.not now

You near Worsborough then ? , my dad worked at Barrow Colliery ( not on face ) and I walked through coking plant every morning to catch the bus to school , we lived in Blacker Hill .

Always remember the pitmen walking past our house to an from clocking on with their snap tins .

i live in ardsley now but lived in ward green for a few yrs when I got married ,outlaws still live there,that's where the wife was from. :)

My Dad was a miner (Grimey and Gt Houghton) and it killed him, eventually. Before I came over to France I used to beat with a load of ex-colliers from the Worsbrough area. Smashing lads all of them. One always said that he would go back to the pit tomorrow. If only to catch up on his sleep.

Edited by UKPoacher

My Dad was a miner (Grimey and Gt Houghton) and it killed him, eventually. Before I came over to France I used to beat with a load of ex-colliers from the Worsbrough area. Smashing lads all of them. One always said that he would go back to the pit tomorrow. If only to catch up on his sleep.

only a few mile away from me ,my mate runs a syndicate on some of it, there's a golf course "Sandhill" on the rest, my uncle was a deputy there. :)

only a few mile away from me ,my mate runs a syndicate on some of it, there's a golf course "Sandhill" on the rest, my uncle was a deputy there. :)

I was a milkman at Ardsley from 1983 to 1987. You'll see my grandkids running about all over the place :ninja: