intresting cabinet instalation

cockercas

So how would you guys fix into this?

Ive just put the brickwork around this new timber build.

Its construction is just two sheets of 15/18mm osb board and its stuck together with blue foam.a stud at either end of the building.its equiverlant to 12inch of kingspan.

They make a jig of the walls of the building and cut all the osb to size, then they pump the foam in at high pressure and it sets.

Its load bearing but you carnt get a fixing into the foam.

So how would you tackel this?

20130321_125009_zps0a465a41.jpg

Edited by cockercas

Is there nothing solid in the structure of the house? How about up the loft with the beams etc? Id be tempted to pull up some floor boards, and dump a load of concrete in there to give me something solid to bolt it to.

Concreet floor downstairs, underfloor heating in the slab.

No loft, its all valted celings.

If there is nothing on the walls ie no plasterboard yet and you can get to the otherside of the board/wall. You could: make a steel plate/ steel flat bar frame and weld bolts coming off it matching the bolting pattern on the said safe/cabinet, then weld thread rods the length of the thickness of the wall, drill though wall then tighten nuts onto the rods at other end with square pressure plates or big washers then plasterboard over. Just make sure the nuts are locked off well or even welded in place.

If there is nothing on the walls ie no plasterboard yet and you can get to the otherside of the board/wall. You could: make a steel plate/ steel flat bar frame and weld bolts coming off it matching the bolting pattern on the said safe/cabinet, then weld thread rods the length of the thickness of the wall, drill though wall then tighten nuts onto the rods at other end with square pressure plates or big washers then plasterboard over. Just make sure the nuts are locked off well or even welded in place.

Its all bricked in now, and you would bridge the thermal barrier.

Are the interior walls made of that stuff or is it standard stud work? seems a right mare. Move house or not buy that one lol

The whole house is made of it. Every interior wall is made of it.

Its a poo design really. To tie the brickwork to the house stainless steel dog ties and stainless nails were specifid.

I can pull them out with my hand.

I guess on the internal walls you could use the method I had mentioned. I helped a lad/mate in the same apartment block I lived fit one on a internal stud wall. Made a steel frame from a RSJ and a thick steel plate (what is used to cover holes in the road) on the back all fully seam welded mounted onto beefed up stud work with a box section cage. It was sunk in the wall about 3-4 inches then plaster boarded round. It wasn't plaster boarded until the guy had came out to ok build so they could see the steel work. You would have had to tear down a wall and have at least six guys if not more to take it away. To be honest the safe would have gave out before the metal work.

The whole house is made of it. Every interior wall is made of it.

Its a poo design really. To tie the brickwork to the house stainless steel dog ties and stainless nails were specifid.

I can pull them out with my hand.

It's made from a SIP (Structural Insulated Panel) system, which was originally brought in by Kingspan, though a few other manufacturers have bought into it now. I've designed a couple of large houses with it and I think it's a great system. The BBA certificate >>link here<< suggests spax head screws for the ties (see page 4), not nails, but I have heard one manufacturer supplies ties with annular ring shanks. I'd specify screws on mine, but either way they shouldn't pull out easily.

If I was fixing a cabinet to it, I'd cut out the plasterboard slightly smaller than the cabinet. Fix a decent quality 12mm thick ply pattress in the hole and bolt the cabinet through the ply and OSB. Job done and plenty strong enough - looks neat too... :good:

as above but trim out the osb for a made to measure set of captive strapped bolts (to leave studs sticking out of the wall), then glue the ply to the osb using some polyurethane glue (lots of Pu glue!) then fix cabinet up to wall with some nuts ....... job jobbed!

It's made from a SIP (Structural Insulated Panel) system, which was originally brought in by Kingspan, though a few other manufacturers have bought into it now. I've designed a couple of large houses with it and I think it's a great system. The BBA certificate >>link here<< suggests spax head screws for the ties (see page 4), not nails, but I have heard one manufacturer supplies ties with annular ring shanks. I'd specify screws on mine, but either way they shouldn't pull out easily.

If I was fixing a cabinet to it, I'd cut out the plasterboard slightly smaller than the cabinet. Fix a decent quality 12mm thick ply pattress in the hole and bolt the cabinet through the ply and OSB. Job done and plenty strong enough - looks neat too... http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/good.gif

Yes ring shanks was used to tie brickwork in.