homemade nightvision evo,s

evo

Good video Bob, good demonstration of an LED in and out of focus too - and good feedback mate.

TBH I had forgotten you were using it air rifle ranges and I had only slightly de-focused the LED a smidgin rather than a little more that would have got rid of the blank part in between the two sections of the emitter. The module is made in a way that it can be tuned to the end users liking by altering the distance between the LED and the rear of the lens.

I can flare the thin and malleable extreme end of the copper bell out a little more which causes the LED to move closer to the lens and wrap itself round the front of the torch a little more to de-focus it. Did you keep each of them on for a while and note which torch got the warmest? The one that gets the warmest will indicate which one allows most heat to be taken away from the rear of the LED.

The heat transfer is potentially an issue if the illuminator is used - or inadvertently left on for extended periods, as is quite easily done because we can't see it's been left on accidentally unless we happen to look at the gun from in front of it.

Would you send the copper module back for me to flare the bell out a bit more for you?

Edited by Dave-G

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi dave , its no problem mate, I,ll put a very small ring of carbon fibre in it mate to change the focal length of the led, at least how it is I can use it for further distances mate,very impressed with the copper droppin mate , the quality is excellent and the end product as you can see is superb bud so all I can do is thank you for making it for me,

I will do some tests tonight regarding the temperature of the three torches and will let you know the results mate, also dave I,m gonna be doing some tests out in the field on Saturday evening in proper hunting conditions, I have been putting out some food for the foxes so it will be interesting to see the results in the field,no foxes will be getting shot by the way well not yet anyway lol but I might just sort a few rabbits out though,

I,ll let you know how it goes mate

cheers Bob

Cheers Bob.

Although the lens CAN be de-focused by increasing the distance between the LED and lens, you will capture a smidgin less of the emitted light cone from the LED. De-focusing it closer to the LED causes the lens to capture a tiniest fraction more of the light cone. TBH we are talking only the smallest amounts and a 0.5 to 1mm ish mm thick carbon shim would make it tunable for your needs.

I had considered making shims available but I am working to thin the bell out enough so that simply nipping the head up firmly will move the bell edge enough to de-focus the output beam. I shall de-focus a little more as standard now though.

Did you make sure to have the lens firmly pushing the copper onto the front of the torch body as in my little video?

Edited by Dave-G

Did you make sure to have the lens firmly pushing the copper onto the front of the torch body as in my little video?

I did mate,i could not of got it tighter bud, I,m very happy with the droppin mate as said it is excellent quality and the performance is spot on, as said I will be keeping that one for myself.

I,m looking forward to doing the tests tonight to see which one (torch) warms up first as it will be interesting to see, also I,ve done a few mods on my camera so I want to see how that performs as well, anyway thanks again dave and if anyone wants a decent infrared droppin I,ll let you know mate

cheers Bob

Edited by evo

well after getting my gear ready tonight we set off to do some filming to see how my homemade nightvision performed out in the field, I set up on the edge of some long grass where the rabbits are always happy to feed of a night, anyway after a 15 minute wait out pops the first rabbit,

I got hold of my camera and decided to film the rabbit which had popped out about 80yrds away,i pressed the button and started to record, 5 seconds later the camera stopped, I had forgotten to put the SD card in the camera.

I was gutted to say the least, anyway here is what I recorded, I,ll be back out on Monday to record the nightvision and the different torches and how they perform

thanks for watching

cheers Evo

evo, ive read your NV posts with great interests over the months and the times come to jump in... going to order my bits today... thanks for all the advice on here, im sure ill be posting questions along the way :good:

only part im stumped on is the tube... anyone know where to get a length of tube without cutting up a finshing rod

to be honest mate the reason I used a carbon fibre pole was because it could be shaved bit by bit until it fitted over the end of the scope very tightly, also it is ultra light weighing only a couple of grams also it is very strong but one of the lads had used a silicone tube and he said it works fine,

hope this helps mate any problems with your build then don't hesitate to let me know and I,ll see what I can do

cheers Bob

thanks, most bits ordered yesterday.. goana phone moreton alarm today (great company ive used them for alarm supplies for about 15 years) and going to look into a tube today... only bits i havent bothered with are the 12 volt lead as ive all the cable and connectors in work so ill make up one the right size when im assembling it

thanks, most bits ordered yesterday.. goana phone moreton alarm today (great company ive used them for alarm supplies for about 15 years) and going to look into a tube today... only bits i havent bothered with are the 12 volt lead as ive all the cable and connectors in work so ill make up one the right size when im assembling it

no problem bud , yes they are a cracking company and always very helpful,

let me know how you get on also mate if your using the 501b then contact Dave G off here and get one of his copper droppins and an A Horton lens , you will be impressed with the performance

cheers Evo

Hi all. First I would like to say a big thankyou to evo (bob) for putting this thread up with out you I wouldn't have been able to do it and a big thankyou for copper drop in that went together really well a really good piece of kit. I managed to try this out Saturday night, first on a target until I felt confident with the setup and then a quick go on the bunnies, I shot 8 all in the nugget, between 30 and 60 yards. And they didn't even know I there. Over the moon

With the setup. Many thanks sf1.

Hi all. First I would like to say a big thankyou to evo (bob) for putting this thread up with out you I wouldn't have been able to do it and a big thankyou for copper drop in that went together really well a really good piece of kit. I managed to try this out Saturday night, first on a target until I felt confident with the setup and then a quick go on the bunnies, I shot 8 all in the nugget, between 30 and 60 yards. And they didn't even know I there. Over the moon

With the setup. Many thanks sf1.

excellent news bud,nothing better than building your own and then getting a few bunnies for the pot, glad you have enjoyed the thread mate, so far about 30 people have now built their own and I,m now on my 7th build for other shooters who I have borrowed mine too and have been that impressed they have asked me to build them one,

I have been working on a new camera and results have been excellent, but have to admit the s190 bullet camera takes some beating, it really is a cracking little setup

all the best Evo

I,m now on my 7th build for other shooters who I have borrowed mine too and have been that impressed they have asked me to build them one,

hi johnny, what tube do you use? i adnit i havent spent tons of time looking but im struggling to find a suitable tube :no:

evo, im sure i saw somewhere on here tha tyou put a 12mm lens on your camera... if im not dreaming... what are the benefits and where did you get it from?

Edited by kiffy

kiffy,

johnny is taking the mickey out of me bud because he wants me to build him his nightvision,

yes you are correct use a 12mm lens as this is the perfect size to use on the end of the scope mate,

moreton alarms wirral is where mine came from if you have the camera you can buy them seperate to fit it

hope this helps mate

Edited by evo

just heard back from moreton alarms, the cameras have gone up in price from when evo first bought his, new prices below

camera £51.15

12mm lens £15.81

delivery £7.50

vat £14.89

total £89.35

the good news is they have both camera and lens in stock

kiffy,

johnny is taking the mickey out of me

ah... that'll teach me to pay more attention :lol:

crickey they have gone up in price,,i will speak with them 2moro to see what price i can get them off him for and will let you know , the camera has gone up £11 but they have been like rocking horse poo to find

i will see if i can get a deal going 2moro

cheers Evo

prices go up, its an unfortunate part of life... maybe they have seen how popular their getting and thought lets cash in but on saying that i did look around and there are not many in the uk and their pricing is about right as the couple of places i found who had them where around fifty quid as well, not sure if theirs included vat or not... from the results ive seen on your videos fifty quids worth it anyway

i had a bit of luck myself with the camera, after posting the pricing i thought id check usa prices as my brother has a place out there and is there at the moment on holidays.. i got one from amazon.com delivered to him for £32.59 so ill have it when hes home in a fortnight, was going to get a couple incase anyone here wanted a cheap one but it was the last one they had

from what i can see the lens is called a board lens, their available cheap enough on ebay so hopefully ill get both parts for around £40

happy days mate, the s190 with the NV kit i made is the best camera i used, i know there are more expensive cameras but after trying different ones out they where no better than the s190, it is a cracking little camera,

Tod off here bought my one and he is made up with the results, at the moment i am experimenting with a new camera and so far the results have been good,very good infact all i have got to do now is find a decent sorce to buy them in bulk as i will be making these cameras to fit any scope so people can use them no matter what scope they are using all they will have to do is fit an lcd screen on the rifle, thats what im aiming for, i,m solid at the moment building nightvision full kits for the lads

let me know if ya need any help regards you build and i,ll see what i can do for ya

atb Evo

I had the opportunity to see Evos night vision set up his videos do not do it justice. The screen clarity is excellent. I have an NS 50 and to me this set knocks spots off it. If this kit became available to buy i would defiantly recommend it to folk i know.

only nv ive seen is steve_b's ns200 and that impressed me, but at six hundred quid its out of my league... for the amount ill use it im happy spending a quarter of that.. cant wait to get all the bits now and start putting it together :)

evo,

what size is the cable gland, i ordered ip68 110925658840 & got a tiny one through the post.the hole at the end is only 7mm

hi mate , the IP68 cable gland to fit the bullet camera is 20mm mate, this will hold your camera really steady, if you have any problem getting one let me know and I,ll sort out sending you one

cheers Bob

i had my glands back yesterday, i havnt recieved my camera yet but am trying to source all the parts ready... if the camera is 19mm wide they wont fit as the internal diamiter is15mm (with a cable diamiter of 11mm), the 20mm is the outside threads.

also do you rekon this would be any good? the end of my scope is 35mm and they do 35mm pipe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330688700173?var=540055717717&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1116wt_866

im not sure if this would be of any use or not but if the gland is smaller then it may give a better finish as its 35mm to 25mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290640466201?var=590032013870&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1116wt_866

sorry for all the questions the past few days :blush:

hi kiffy,

that tubing looks ok mate as long as you measure the external diameter of your scope,and the thread diameter of your cable gland,or you could do what I did with the gland which was to grind the attached nut down to suit the size of the tube,

you need a 20mm cable gland to fit the s190 mate, the good thing about the gland is once you have focused the bullet camera in you can then fit it to the tube and araldite the gland in,you will not have to focus it again bud it is so easy .

I have not used those tubes but they look like they could do the job,the main thing is that once all is in place the tube stays rigid because the last thing you want is your crosshairs moving all over the place ,

hope this helps and sorry for the delay,i,ve been up the wall with work and free time shooting lol

atb Evo (Bob)

i just ordered one of the tubes, one with a flair so its 33mm one end and 35mm the other that i hope should help me get a nice push fit over the scope and a better fit for the camera the other side. just hope theres not to much flex in it.

all my bits are arriving all i need now is the tube and torch mounts both of which i ordered today and the camera which has arrived at my brothers so i have to wait till next week for him to get home before i start

what do you guys use to attach the monitor to your scopes?