homemade nightvision evo,s

evo

Nightvision IR Test

ok here is the first test using my homemade night vision,the distance is 50 yrds and the picture quality was excellent at this range,

how it is will be great for air rifle hunting when it is total darkness

the ir used is the pulsar 940 but i will be using a better IR and a lot cheaper to purchase on tuesday evening, i am really happy with the results so far and as said it is perfect for air rifle ranges

i,m going out in the field with it later tonight (monday) to try it out in hunting conditions on my perm and will be using a mates sony handycam in night mode so we will get a better view of how the setup performs.

thanks to all for your support and messages hope you enjoy the first test video and as said i,ll upload the field test video tonight (monday evening)

cheers Evo

http://youtu.be/JZSdKdEJVlI

Edited by evo

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AS promised here is the first session in the field using my homemade NV setup.

i arrived at dusk so i could set my gear up and have a gab with the farmer, The sun was just setting,i walked to where i knew the rabbits frequent and settled in waiting for it to go dark

the video tells the story of what happens next,

after i shot the video i continued to sit and wait for the rabbits to come from the hedgeline but they didn,t show again
i sat against the tree on the edge of the field and 10 mins after i stopped filming i heard a noise behind me,,thinking it was the farmer ??? i turned round,
i nearly had a heart attack and so did the fox, it was 10foot away ready to come through the gate opening where i was sitting i honestly dont know who **** themselves the most me or the fox but judging by the speed he ran off i think it was him, my heart took 10 mins to calm down i have never been that close to a fox in my life probably one of the most scariest things i have ever experienced certainly woke me up thats for sure
hope you enjoyed the update,i,ll be posting the next update tomorrow (tuesday eve) showing how it works with a different IR illuminator
cheers Evo

it was the 940 bud,

i,m gonna do a couple more tests this evening with the other ir which i think should perform better that the 940 and is a fraction of the price, i,ll post the results on here later, for all to see

so far the results have been fine but their is room for improvement with regards the light , i was not 100% happy wiht the brightness even though as you can see it clearly did the job well.

will post the new results on here later

cheers Evo (Bob)

Hi Bob, Pleasure to meet you the other day in the shop. I have had a look at the video and the kit looks to work excellently for the money spent. It will be interesting to see the results after you have adjusted the illuminator beam :whistling: .

Edited by Zaxxman

Hi Bob, Pleasure to meet you the other day in the shop. I have a look at the video and the kit looks to work excellently for the money spent. It will be interesting to see the results after you have adjusted the illuminator beam :whistling: .

not had a chance to do it in the field yet paul, tried it in the garden and seems as if the setting it was already on was at its tightest beam,strange,,looks like i might need to change to a different camera to get the required (fussy me) light control that i,m looking for, low light its working superb,even when cloudy no problem but once it drops to that extra low light level its dark,

got my head in the net at the mo looking for the explanation of why this is, anyway nice to meet ya bud,,hope to speak soon,take care,, Bob, :good:

Edited by evo

Loooks bang on bud.

Any info on camera you used mate?

hi bazzab, sorry mate for delay in reply,,at the moment mate i,m still testing camera,s and IR,s out, so would not be right to give any information away just yet as i would not like anyone to spend money on something i am using when it might not do the job they require,,as soon as i,ve got the setup working to my sattisfaction 100% mate then i will post a list of the equipment on here for all,but until its right it would not be right of me to give out details just yet,,

thanks for your message bazzab,,speak soon buddy,,,cheers Evo

This looks a great setup look forward to seeing your final results and thanks for taking the time and effort to share it with us all. :good:

Carl

cheers carl,,still experimenting at the mo mate,,head wrecking stuff believe me,, :hmm::hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

hi bazzab, sorry mate for delay in reply,,at the moment mate i,m still testing camera,s and IR,s out, so would not be right to give any information away just yet as i would not like anyone to spend money on something i am using when it might not do the job they require,,as soon as i,ve got the setup working to my sattisfaction 100% mate then i will post a list of the equipment on here for all,but until its right it would not be right of me to give out details just yet,,

thanks for your message bazzab,,speak soon buddy,,,cheers Evo

Thanks for reply bud. Totally understand that. Made nv set up.while ago. Fairly happy with it but think camera could be better. And don't really want to pay Watec prices!!!

Look.forward to seeing what you settle on. Thanks again mate.

Bazza.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi all well its been a while and i,ve done hours of experimenting and have finished my homemade night vision setup,the results of the finished setup are amazing,i have tried it on the rifle and it works great to 50 yrds, i then tried it at 60 yrds this morning when it was dark and it was like looking in daylight, i have spent hours with different cameras and IR illuminators and have finally got exactly what i have been trying to achieve which was to make a homemade nightvision setup(that would not break the bank) to use with an air rifle and also a .22 and i have suceeded and how happy am i. i could not justify paying for the other ones on the market,

i am currently working on a new torch,the specs i was kindly given off some guy who actually modified his and this torch (IR) should be able to reach distances of 200mtrs with the camera i am using, anyway here are the test results from the finished project,

can i just say a big thankyou to mick who supplied me with the droppins for my torch

all the best Evo

That looks excellent mate.You have been buisy trying different I/R Light sources :) .What camera and torch did you end up with in the end.I am just trying out a 1w I/R dropin in my cree torch with an aspheric lense and blacked out reflector.Its ok but my sony cam corder is old and has a rubbish sized chip in it.The breser unit works ok as a spotter with the the i/r torch but once on the scope I can see about 35 yards.

That looks excellent mate.You have been buisy trying different I/R Light sources :) .What camera and torch did you end up with in the end.I am just trying out a 1w I/R dropin in my cree torch with an aspheric lense and blacked out reflector.Its ok but my sony cam corder is old and has a rubbish sized chip in it.The breser unit works ok as a spotter with the the i/r torch but once on the scope I can see about 35 yards.

hi mate i am using the ultrafire 501b with a IR droppin an Ahorton aspheric lens and also the torch reflector is blacked out, the camera is a sony ccd bullet camera ir sensitive and after trying it out early this morning i can see very clearly to 80 yrds(measured).

i am in the middle of building a new torch which will take my NV distances to 200mtrs so really looking forward to building that one i will use the new torch as a spotter,,this nightvision has taken over my life :lol: but i have had a lot of satisfaction building my own NV and now it is finished the wife is happy cos i,ve saved myself ££££££

the total cost of my NV build is £120 approx so i,m a happy chappy

Edited by evo

ok chaps as promised here is a video explaining how i have built my NV setup for my Huntsman classic,it explains hopefully everything but if i have missed anything off and you need to know anything to help you build your own then dont hesitste to ask.

total cost of the setup is £120 but if you shop around i recon you can get it for less than £100, it works fine to 80yrds and you can see eye shine further than 100yrds.

hope you enjoy the video and thanks for watching, ill put a full parts list up on monday evening in this section,

all the best Evo

• 4 weeks later...

hi all after a long walk stalking around one of my perms I decided to pop the night vision on and video how my homemade NV performed with the 501b torch ,

I have fitted an oslon black LED and as you will see in the video it performs very well for air rifle ranges, I have worked the full cost of this kit and the cheapest I can build it for is £100 but when you consider the price of some of the kits out on the open market I,m sure you will agree that it performs very well considering how much it cost to build,

hope you enjoy the vid and thanks to all who have helped me gain the experience to build my own ,thanks again all,,,Evo

I seen it last nite John its a cracking setup, looks like its just come out of the box from a shooting shop very professional.

He's got LEDs , IRs torches etc coming out his ears he's done his homework that's for sure.

I'm ordering my bits to build one ;)

Good advisory vid there Evo.

The ahorton lens has a much smaller back focal length than can be reached with the standard P60 reflector/spacer. Your reflector length needs a DX aspheric lens.

Machine one of those other reflectors down to about how you see the genuine ahorton spacer here and the lens will capture more of the light cone coming off the emitter:

Ahortonspacervsregularspacer_zps07f3574e[

/URL]

Ahortonlensviewingangle_zps9561d4dc.jpg

Edited by Dave-G