Gun safe fitting

claycrasher

Hi everybody,

As i said in my first post on the wecome forum I am only just starting out in the clay pigeon shootong sport and haven't yet got my sgc, but I have manage to get hold of a 3 gun cabinet off eBay in readiness for the FO to visit and inspect.

I decided to locate the cabinet in the loft as it was really the only place it could be put out of sight and on an exterior wall which is no problem apart from the wall being breeze block and so very uneven leaving the odd gap behind the cabinet where something could be put in to lever it away from the wall, this is after getting into the house, into the loft, finding the safe etc.

Do you think this is going to be a big problem to the inspecting officer?

The cabinet will be secured from the inside with 6 wall bolts.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I had the same problem when I did mine all I did was squart 2tubes off grip fill on the back of the safe all around the edge off the safe to then bolted it to the wall, all the grip fill will come out the gaps when tight to the wall then just smooth of with ur finger, ull never get the safe of the wall after tho

I used grip fast and bolts, finished the edges in silicon, if some body has got that much time on there hands to get past that its going anyway no matter what I do. Not a bad finish for my DIY skills. All down to reasonable precautions, as long as the FEO cant move it when he gives it a small tug.

If it's an external wall I doubt it is breeze block, more likely be concrete block. If it is breeze block, be very careful on the fixings you use as they could crack the breeze block.

If it's just the rough mortar, draw an outline of the cabinet and clean it up carefully with a hammer and chisel making sure you don't damage the structure.

same here bricklayer did the loft after dinner in the pub so i cemented mine to the breezeblocks after rawlbolting in place .nice layer of portlands finest sealed it good n proper feo was very happy and for extra security ive rawlbolted a 5 ton lifting chain across the door .as daany n slipshooter says just fill your cracks with wots available :lol:

In my view, our safe would be better on a habitable floor rather than the loft, it need not be on an exterior wall, why not locate it on an internal wall such as in a built in wardrobe? You can quite easily nogging out any internal stud wall and place / screw steel strapping to the timbers that would slow own an cutting.... If you knock p / build partitions either side attack from the side will be grossly impeded.

My FEO's not seen my installation, but went belt & braces on mine, and fixed to an internal stud wall. Very luckily a twin skin / twin stud wall.

No different to the layer of soft plaster behind other folks cabs which a crowbar could pierce easily.

Remember though, if its a pain to access your loft your FAO can refuse to go up

i have heard of bad access to the loft being knocked back by fao you will probably need a proper loft ladder if you have not already got one

• 4 weeks later...

HELLO MATE, What will really help your case is a burglar alarm, no need to spend a fortune, a cheap intruder alarm would do.

My cabinet is in the loft, I do have a proper access ladder,

I put sachets of Silica gel in with the guns to absorb any damp, haven`t had any problems in seven years.

Edited by malantone

I decided to locate the cabinet in the loft as it was really the only place it could be put out of sight and on an exterior wall which is no problem

Cabinets in lofts are bad for 3 reasons!

1: Lofts suffer extremes of temperature which can cause guns to rust very quickly!

2: FEO may not be able to inspect cabinet if access is poor (means no SGC)

3: If access is poor you may not be keen to put guns away properly after a long day.......so goes down as unsuitable

Put the cabinet in the house its much better, it does NOT have to be hidden! Only out of site to "casual visitors" the man come to read the meter or knocking on your door asking if you need any tarmac etc.....IT also needs to be fixed to the "fabric of building" not always an external wall!

Put it in the loft if you like but don't be surprised if FEO wont pass it and and if they do you end up with rusty guns........

Just noticed the original date of the post....d'oh.....so did they pass the loft location?

Edited by HDAV

Cabinets in lofts are bad for 3 reasons!

1: Lofts suffer extremes of temperature which can cause guns to rust very quickly!

2: FEO may not be able to inspect cabinet if access is poor (means no SGC)

3: If access is poor you may not be keen to put guns away properly after a long day.......so goes down as unsuitable

Put the cabinet in the house its much better, it does NOT have to be hidden! Only out of site to "casual visitors" the man come to read the meter or knocking on your door asking if you need any tarmac etc.....IT also needs to be fixed to the "fabric of building" not always an external wall!

Put it in the loft if you like but don't be surprised if FEO wont pass it and and if they do you end up with rusty guns........

Just noticed the original date of the post....d'oh.....so did they pass the loft location?

Still waiting for any reply or visit HDAV ?

Mine's in the loft layed on its side about a foot in the air and I had no problem at all.

I do have a full size stair case into my loft so access is very easy. with a locked dorr at the bottom of the stairs.

My wall is very uneven, all i did was empty a can of spray foam down the back. My cabinet was passed with no issue at all, its rock solid now.

Edited by neil3728

Mine Are in the loft and not rusty they heat up and cool down slowly with the loft stopping this also out to often mind you 2 haven't been out for a couple of years and are fine just checked

My FEO thought it was a great place as how often do burglars go in the loft they will to busy going through your wifes knicker drawer

Kenny

I do have a full size stair case into my loft so access is very easy. with a locked dorr at the bottom of the stairs.

If there is a fixed staircase then more likely to be ok but a hatch with unattached ladder probably won't get passed, an FEO sole where fell through an unboarded loft..........

Iv curt out the plaster board and sunk mine in to the wall about 100mm. 6 bolts in the wall 3 in the uprights good luck getting that off the wall ..iv got an old cottage so no flat walls but that one .. Then made a cupboard around it, no one would Eva know.. Unless they read this lol