Wee vixen this morning.

sako751sg

Have a bit of cutting back to do to some fund bushes ready for the bucks coming in so packed up the chainsaw,dugs and the Hmr incase there was a fox cutting aboot.Cracking morning with a good bit of heat when the sun was oot so left the saw in the Jeep and went a walk with the gat first.Plenty of does on the go,and when i got to the valley there was a fox standing around 300 yards away and non the wiser i was there.A look through the binos showed she was standing on 3 legs,and when she walked the forth was just hanging.Luckily she started walking closer so i set the sticks up for a sitting shot,got comfy and waited for her hopefully to come a good bit closer.She came parallel to me,but was still 130 and would be adding yards if she carried on so i gave a few squeaks,but on this she went straight into cover.Followed her with the binos for a while and she was making hard work of walking so the next time she stopped i ranged her and the reading was 157 and with minimal wind decided to take the shot to put her oot her misery.Luckily she stood a good while,and adding a few inches for drop squeezed and resulted in the the fox semi dropping,running 20 yards and then pegging it.Stuck Rab oot and he retrieved over very heavy ground,and came back with very poorly condition vixen which was barren with nay signs of cubbing.Not the ideal range for the .17 but a good result in ending the pain.The shot was bang in the engine room and had passed clean through with probably the biggest exit i have seen with the wee pill.Her leg was in a pretty bad mess and she would have struggled badly to catch anything for scoff.

160_zps28d44b36.jpg

154_zps47bd9db4.jpg155_zps780f3506.jpg157_zps16c5c7ef.jpg159_zps06d30f5d.jpg161_zpseb4a312a.jpg

Edited by sako751sg

Well done Dave. While I don't recommend shooting foxes with a .17HRM at ranges beyond 100 yards or so you have done the correct thing - You used your knowledge and experience and realising that she wasn't going to come any closer and that she needed to be "put out of her misery" and you did the job efficient after working out the hold over etc.. There are times and situations where the rules have to go out of the window and you have to use your judgement and this was obviously one of those times.

A good job done that needed doing!

Any thoughts about the leg wound mate? It looks like it could have been a bite from something, maybe a badger?

Well done Dave, and another excellent write-up, good range that with the 17hmr - but I agree a very necessary shot!

Cheers fella.Way longer than i would usually take with the wee pill but it was needed.

Tip top shot :good::good: :good:

Ta fella.

great write up and pics mate, well done, thanks for sharing.

Cheers fella.

Brilliant pics once again , especially the dog retrieving the fox. That gully looks a great place to hunt!!

Cheers fella.If you see the ground close up its a cracking retrieve and hes made a few at this place.The valley is superb and with its remoteness the roe and foxes cut aboot any time of day.

Nice going mate :good:

Really impressed with the retrieve.

Ta fella.Impressed too,a 160 yards blind retrieve is a good one in my books.

nice work !! :good: ..

Ta fella.

Nice work Sako lovely dog work, but what is up with with your new aviator pic :sick:

Cheers fella.Just thought i would add a wee bit of much needed glamour and sexyness to the forum,and i know you will agree that only poofing people would find her unattractive in any way.

Well done Dave. While I don't recommend shooting foxes with a .17HRM at ranges beyond 100 yards or so you have done the correct thing - You used your knowledge and experience and realising that she wasn't going to come any closer and that she needed to be "put out of her misery" and you did the job efficient after working out the hold over etc.. There are times and situations where the rules have to go out of the window and you have to use your judgement and this was obviously one of those times.

A good job done that needed doing!

Any thoughts about the leg wound mate? It looks like it could have been a bite from something, maybe a badger?

Cheers Pete.A good bit rangier than normal for the pill but circumstances were different fella,and luckily the result was a good one.Not sure about the wound,could even have been a pill as her reaction to the squeak was a wise one and she knew what that was for sure.Funny she was barren but then could have aborted due to the injury and she wasnt in good nick.

fair shot with the hummer it is a cracking little round that packs a punch for its size. well shot dave not point it suffering

Cheers Andy.Far from recommended distance but again it was called for.Didnt think it would have went clean through but then if you dont hit a rib on the boiler room shot there isnt a lot to resist the pills route.

Heck of a shot Dave, agree with Pete as far as range goes but seems you know the gun.

Cheers Timothy.Was a wee bit lucky probably at that range as i couldnt have placed the shot any better and it didnt hit anything solid to break up the pill.End result a good one though but wouldnt recommend unless needed.

Well done+agreat write up.!!!

Ta fella.

Fine darts gaj! They new bino,s just taking the guess work oot it.

Cheers Alan.The bins are spot on fella,and way handier than having to switch from bins to rangefinder and vice versa.Tried them on a tractor plooing at 517ish and i got a reading everytime.Top kit indeed.

Ta fella.

Cheers Alan.The bins are spot on fella,and way handier than having to switch from bins to rangefinder and vice versa.Tried them on a tractor plooing at 517ish and i got a reading everytime.Top kit indeed.

Think the hummer would be to small for the tractor at that range fella! Lol

Nice one mate well done! How are the Roe Bucks looking? any clean yet?

Cheers Alex.Havent seen that many bucks really,the weather nay been that great for them but hopefully with a wee bit of heat they will start showing. Not seen anything clean yet but with this weather it's maybe keeping them back a bit. How are you getting on yourself?

Think the hummer would be to small for the tractor at that range fella! Lol

Maybe for decent tractors but this was Ford so the wee pill would have been ample,lol.