Been turned down for sgc :-(

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Harry69koi,

I think the police as done the right thing refusing your first request, especially with the recent news around the country of people having a certificate and not mentally health stable, I think they have just done it to cover their backs.........but before jumping on me and stone me in the square...I will add,

You come across like a nice gentleman, and I really hope that Basc will help you to obtain your shotgun certificate and with the support of your Gp, should not be a problem, I can imagine how impatience and willing to go and hunt with your friend.

But I personally prefer, a Feo in charge, to do a detail investigation, when it comes to such an important decision and surely if you think about it you probably will agree, best of luck for your application.

Hi Mate,, Go To Your doctor and get him to write a letter stating the exact reason you are taking it, I take them, But the doctor said at the time they had other side effects and would swear they were NOT for Depression.. go and see the doctor and just explain the situation to him..

If he is a decent bloke he will write you a letter ot give to the FEO, to put this one to rest::: DO IT:

I understand were your coming from m8ty,i even told the chief i understood his decision(i also told him i would like it overturned if we had a personal meeting) there is some crack pots out there so the police are only doing their jobs i guess :good: Even if i dont agree with there decision lol

This whole process is flawed. Its not people who go to their doctor for stress or depression that worry me, its people who don't.

The way things are going in this risk averse, data-base logged society, more people, and not just those from the shooting world, will avoid talking to their doctor in case it comes back to bite them.

OvEr_KiLL, on 01 Apr 2013 - 16:45, said:snapback.png

maybe the gp said they didnt think you should have a licence when they wrote to them

They won't say that and the police are not allowed to ask the GP to express an opinion.

Not sure that is correct.

The current position is that, on application, a declaration is signed giving consent for the firearms licensing department to consult with your GP.

The Police do not want to know every detail of your medical history but it does mean that your GP will be notified that you are a potential firearm or shotgun certificate holder. This means your doctor can notify the police if they have any concerns about you being granted or retaining a certificate. With this information, local firearms departments will then be able to consider whether they wish to ask for more detail from a GP in order to make a decision.

Edited by Gordon R

As said I think it's been your gp letter that's spooked them. You need to see your gp and ask for a letter to say the drugs won't effect you in respect to holding a sgc. If your gp won't do it, or is anti gun you are going to have to go elsewhere for a expert opinion. You need your doctor to tell the police that you are stable enough to own a gun and the drugs won't effect your mental state.

Edited by parapilot

OvEr_KiLL, on 01 Apr 2013 - 16:45, said:snapback.png

Not sure that is correct.

The current position is that, on application, a declaration is signed giving consent for the firearms licensing department to consult with your GP.

The authorisation you sign says they they can approach your GP to obtain 'factual details of your medical history'. It doesn't authorise the GP to offer an opinion and they shouldn't ask for one.

The Police do not want to know every detail of your medical history but it does mean that your GP will be notified that you are a potential firearm or shotgun certificate holder. This means your doctor can notify the police if they have any concerns about you being granted or retaining a certificate. With this information, local firearms departments will then be able to consider whether they wish to ask for more detail from a GP in order to make a decision.

A doctor would never notify the police in that manner as it would be a very serious breach of doctor-patient confidentiallity. They could be struck off for it. The only circumstances under which it would be acceptable to breach confidentiality would be if the doctor believed that there was an imminent danger to life or a risk of serious injury (and even then it's questionable) or if the patient had confessed a crime to the doctor.

J.

Jonathan - I hadn't fully grasped that you were such an expert in these matters. :good::good: :good:

Perhaps you should take over the ACPO lead on firearms and explosives licensing from Andy Marsh, Deputy Chief Constable of Hampshire Constabulary. My post was lifted straight from him. He clearly has less knowledge of the subject than your good self. :lol::lol:

Jonathan i think you are wrong on your police /doctor points.

My force contacted my doctor about one specific thing about my medical history my PTSD,my doctor wrote a letter back telling them i was a sane and fit person to hold an FAC and SGC,they contacted my doctor again recently as i had all my weapons removed after a malicious allegation by two police officers,he told them they had no right to ask for details as the permission i had given was a few years old and he contacted me, i went to see him and he showed me a letter he had drafted stating i was still the same as the last time they had asked,he asked if he wanted me to send it,and i agreed.

I got all my weapons back.

Jonathan - I hadn't fully grasped that you were such an expert in these matters. :good::good: :good:

Perhaps you should take over the ACPO lead on firearms and explosives licensing from Andy Marsh, Deputy Chief Constable of Hampshire Constabulary. My post was lifted straight from him. He clearly has less knowledge of the subject than your good self. :lol::lol:

He can tell you all about open and closed firearms certificates as well.... :ninja:

:shaun:

They probably didn't look at your situation in much detail, I'd guess as he skimmed over your application he's just seen the words "unemployed" and "history of mental illness" and that was enough for him how he was feeling on that day at that particular time to refuse your application, if your lucky after he looks at your situation in a bit more detail he may change his mind, and if he doesn't there are some great air rifes on the market...

Why is it that almost everyone here simply believes anything the police say without question even when it contradicts the actual wording of a particular document? Does no one possess the power of critical analysis? Does it never occur to anyone to check the validity of what they are being told?

Look, the form says you have to give persmission for your doctor to provider 'factual details of your medical history'. If the doctor gives an opinion then that is not a factual deatail of your medical history and they should not even be asking the question. What do you think the authorisation actually means Gordon?

I was going to make reference to the HO guidance in my previous post but decided against it as I knew that you probably couldn't resist making a fool of your self. So, here goes;

10.21 Approaches to applicants’ doctors

should not be made as a matter of routine.

Nor should approaches be made simply

to check the accuracy of the medical

information provided in application forms,

unless there are some grounds for concern

about the applicant in question or the

information given. It is an offence to

knowingly or recklessly make a false

statement in order to obtain a certificate.

This would apply to any false statement given

in answer to the medical questions on the

application form. Where approaches to

applicants’ doctors are deemed necessary,

they should be made in writing.

10.22 The GP may provide factual

information on an applicant’s medical history.

GPs should not be asked to give general

access to applicants’ medical records or to

offer an opinion on any of the medical

information given. In particular, GPs should

not be asked to either endorse or oppose

applications, though it is open to them to

do so. Whilst we understand that GPs are

unlikely to charge a fee for the provision of

information, where such a fee is appropriate

the cost should be met by the police.

10.23 Chief officers of police may reach their

own conclusions as to the significance of the

information supplied, based on their own

knowledge and experience, but may wish to

seek advice from the Force Medical Officer

in cases where the medical information

supplied is difficult to understand, or where

its significance in terms of the possession of

firearms is unclear. Any final decision as to

the applicant’s fitness, whether on medical

or other grounds, should be taken by the

properly authorised officer in the usual way.

10.24 The applicant’s consent is not limited

by time. It is therefore open to the police to

approach the applicant’s GP at any time

during the life of the certificate if there are

concerns about the applicant’s continued

fitness to possess firearms.

10.25 It is also open to a GP to approach

the police at any time in order to pass on

information of possible concern about an

individual, whether a patient or not, who

possesses firearms or is applying to do so.

Clearly, the GP would have to be satisfied

that their public duty to express their

concerns outweighed the normal requirements

of patient confidentiality.

J.

Thats why ive politley asked for a face to face meeting m8ty :good:

I doubt very much they will agree to a meeting as the only person who can overturn a refusal is a judge ( crown court?) and to meet you and change decision would be an admission of failure on behalf if the CC/FLO.....

Have a good read if the reasons to refuse an SGC they are very limited, iirc you must present a danger to the public or peace not to be granted an SGC

"[F1(1)Subject to subsection (1A) below, a shot gun certificate shall be granted or, as the case may be, renewed by the chief officer of police if he is satisfied that the applicant can be permitted to possess a shot gun without danger to the public safety or to the peace."

Edited by HDAV

Have you actually had a letter delivered by your FEO stating you have been refused a SGC, or have they just told you that they will refuse it,if they have just told you,it is a polite way of saying not just now,and this won't go down as a refusal on your record.

Jonathan - I think your ego is getting ahead of your limited intellect.

Clearly, the GP would have to be satisfied
that their public duty to express their
concerns outweighed the normal requirements
of patient confidentiality.

I presume you can read your own post, which was rather unnecessarily printed in red.

In particular, GPs should
not be asked to either endorse or oppose
applications, though it is open to them to do so.

You really need to calm down and grow up.

PS - perhaps you could send a letter to Andy Marsh and let him know that he isn't really in your league - delusional. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Gordon R