Been turned down for sgc :-(

Well firstly hi everyone :) name is lee and as the title says ive just found out ive been refused my sgc :no:

The reason..........I take a very low dose anti depressant for motivation purpose`s only but the chief officer wont have it :/ Had my cabinet fitted and the room alarmed up to the hilt and the feo who came round was well impressed and as she was here i told her about my tablet i take (one a day) and she thought it shouldnt be a issue but how wrong can i be :sad1:

Im a member of basc so ive emailed them for advice B) to say im gutted is a understatement :no:

By the way im 42years old,never been in trouble,just one tablet stands between me and being about to shoot with my mate(who is my mentor by the way with 30 years experience with shotguns) Chief officer knows this aswell :blush:

Any advice would be gratefull peeps.

Lee

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems very harsh to me.

I am sure BASC will be able to offer you some good advice but perhaps better to phone them rather than email.

What county are you in ? I think you may be paying the price for some recent headline making police handling of the issue of SGC'S

Im in Lincolnshire peeps,basically for motivation purposes is,when i used to struggle to get my lazy butt out of bed so doc put me on this tablet and it helps sort yourself out,cant work for now due to spine problem :no:

Will be phoning basc after the bank holiday but unsure what they can do ref the decision? Got the refusal letter from the police here :sad1:

When I applied for my original SGC with Avon & Somerset I remember the 'example' pdf file they used to show you how to correctly fill the form in had a diagnosis for 'work related stress' under the mental illness section. Not sure if all forces have this, but the message seemed to me to be that this would not necessarily have stopped you getting an SGC.

Make a good case and appeal. It might mean court but you might find the experience does more to galvanise you than those stupid pills. I bet you get legal aid to boot. BTW I know one guy who is on massive amounts of morphine who holds an FAC, I do not consider him a danger just someone who suffers from chronic pain

Was this following your GP's advice to the authorities,or a decision made soley by your licensing authority?Do you know what consultations took place between your GP and licensing,and what your GP stated to licensing?If not it would be advisable to find out.I know of several people who have FAC and SGC and who have been consulted to their GP with symptoms of depression/anxiety.

Don't give up just yet.

Please do get in touch, our firearms team will need to see the letter you have got from the police, if thats OK.

Much may depend on the report from the GP as already mentioned and if they have said no then that could be a very tough nut to crack, as the police will rely on this information from the GP who probably knows you best.

But as said, not all is lost, far from it and further discussions with your FEO are on the cards in the first instance after the content of the GPs letter is known.

Being on anti depressants is certainly not a reason to refuse, I speak from experience!

David

Your first move is to appeal the decision, it then should progress to a formal meeting at headquarters normally not the court at this point,

gather your evidence and put your case, letter from your doctor or the consultant who prescribed your medication, would support your appeal stating that you are not threat or danger to yourself or the public whilst taking this medication.

A good friend of mine had this problem in another county.

Alan

Hi,

You could scan it and e-mail it to me - david.ilsley@basc.org.uk and i will pass it on, or you can post it to HO, marked 'Private & Consfidential' for the firearms team, with a covering letter from you, or you can fax it to me on 01244 573001 and again I will take it to the firearms team.

If you pM or e-mail me your membership number I can give the team the heads up

David

I had wrote a polite letter to the chief to ask for a face to face meeting,he will then see im a middle aged man with no convictions what so ever and not a looney toon :lol: i posted it sat so with the bank holiday it will be weds before he gets it at least :blush: im not hoping on it coming to much to be honest :no:

As above, book yourself into the docs and build a relationship so they can form an opinion. Talk to basc and feel free to talk (not rant) at the fao to gain their help. Sometimes application is just a long process and part of your shooting career.

If you have problems getting out of bed bad enough to need medication then I would imagine that you have mental issues.You also say that you cannot work because of problems with your spine-surely the recoil of a shotgun will not help plus the fact that shooting can be very physical.I doubt that the police look into how bad a problem you have,its enough for them to see that you have problems-period.Your doctor must hold the answer to your problem but many doctors (mine included) will not risk their reputation by clearly stating that you are fit to carry a gun.