Striker Disc Tool ?

mickyh

Hello, would anyone know where I could buy a striker disc removal tool?

My AYA No. 4 has a broken firing pin spring.

It looks like a simple job to replace it, if only I had a tool to remove the disc.

I've tried a few tricks,but its as tight as hell,and I dont want to mark or damage the disc!

I'm not trying to save money here,just the time my gun is at the Gunsmith,he is very busy at the moment,last job took 3 weeks !

This must be quite common,as pins/springs dont last forever.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks Mick

If you have a drill and a welder - five minute job to make one.

Thats the trouble,I dont !

I've got one gun at the Gunsmiths already,this means I'll be without a gun for a while.

But thanks for your help,all the tools I've seen, seem to come from the States.

At a pinch - find two drill bits, the same diameter as the disc set striker holes - stick them in two of the holes - grip the pair of them with some mole grips / pliers - if there is room enough - and turn.

Edited by Gordon R

If you have a drill and a welder - five minute job to make one.

Have you five minuets spare?

I'll cover materials and postage and buy you a pint!

They are as tight as hell,I've tried a few things (drills and mole-grips/pliers are just stupid, on a gun I've owned for 35 years).

But any help/idea is welcome and I'm not having a go at anyone!

Cheers Mick

There aren't any locking screws on a No.4. I removed them on my No.4 by using a small pin punch in one of the holes and carefully tapping it undone with a tack hammer. Once they are started you should be OK. They are awkward because of the angle of the disc face to the thread. Just be careful and dopne force anything.

I've got one of the lads at work making me a tool right now. Grinding an old Chisel down to look like the bottom right photo.

Will it need to be Tempered?

Has anyone actualy removed one before,and if so,how tight can they be?

Many Thanks.

Mick

circlip pliers and wd 40

Paulus,

Is the blacked tool in the photo with the "snake eye" tools as it looks to be - an adjustable - cam principle in effect - peg spanner? Do you happen to know where to get one, by any chance?

Cheers,

Phil

Micky,

Impatience by shooters is a major source of gunsmiths' income. The second best tool for this job is the proper one. The best is a correct lead jawed vice which can hold the action rock steady as a slip will result in burrs to the disc in view of the effort oft-times required.

Paulus,

Is the blacked tool in the photo with the "snake eye" tools as it looks to be - an adjustable - cam principle in effect - peg spanner? Do you happen to know where to get one, by any chance?

Cheers,

Phil

Micky,

Impatience by shooters is a major source of gunsmiths' income. The second best tool for this job is the proper one. The best is a correct lead jawed vice which can hold the action rock steady as a slip will result in burrs to the disc in view of the effort oft-times required.

I think you buy those from the Usa.Sure there was a thread on here a while ago but can`t find it.

HTH.

I think you buy those from the Usa.Sure there was a thread on here a while ago but can`t find it.

HTH.

Many thanks. I would imagine that the SDH copyright is a clue. :good:

Edit:

Yep. - Steven Dodd Hughes - Brownells Inc. Now found it - Firing Pin Bushing Tool.

SDH also warns about DIY.

Edited by wymberley

After much advice and thought,its going to the Gunsmith this afternoon.

For the sake of £20 it would be a shame to scratch or mark the action,,shame its going to take 2-3 weeks though.

Big thanks to all who offered advice.

Mick

Wel I wasnt planning to since the right hand side of the gun does 90% of the work !

Do you think it would be wise?

Mick

Valid point, but age as well as work has an adverse effect. A spring costs pennies, the job is in the vice, the tools are at hand and the 'smith is on song having just done the other one.........!