garden rabbit shooting

matty thud

well this is the first time been asked to shoot rabbits and dont know weather to take it on owner of garden centre has been doing big contract job for a builder whos built 2 five bedrooms houses on 2 acres of land on a country lane over looking fields.his lads have been doing all turfing and planting around the 2 houses now problem is rabbits have been getting in and eaten all plants and digging into lawn so builder asked him if he could sort them out so he thought of me. now problem is ther are 2 houses one either side one side is a bungalow and a big high privitt hides this but the other one is a big house about 120 yards away just set back from builders houses and only small fence seperating houses so they could see part buiders gardens but were i would be shooting from would not be able to see me. ther also hav small children and dont want them seeing rabbits dropping dont really want to let this builder down because apparintley he got bit land his self and knows few farmers would be using 177 pcp wot yu do :sad1: it is only temp till he sells houses

Hmmm, difficult one. The thing is it's not about whether people can see/hear you, so much as shooting safely; in other words knowing that the pellets are not going to leave the land on which you have the permission. Also, check that you're conforming to the rules concerning public highways - roads and the like. The first thing I'd do is find out exactly where the rabbits are entering and exiting and the proximity and angle from the neighbouring properties. Some people don't like telling neighbouring properties about it, but I'd rather they knew, that way everyone's in the loop and it cuts down the likelihood on any nasty accidents happening. If you're confident that you can shoot in a manner that guarantees the pellets won't pass off your permission, then that's the first box ticked. Then I'd tell both properties. Remember that you have the permission already - get that in writing if you can - so you're just informing them that you will be doing it not asking if you can. It may be that you could let them know exact times when you'll be doing it so they know what is going on.

take all your shooting documentation (proof of permission, insurance) so that they can see you're not some happy-go-lucky cowboy who's a danger to everyone around him.

Having said all that, you know the area better than anyone on here, so you'll know whether it's safe to do so! But if you can do it safely and legally, then definitely go for it! Who knows, if the bunnies are attacking the turf, they might be hitting the neighbours' veggies etc anyway, so they might appreciate it as well! Do the job properly and you might get some more permissions out of it!

What Evo said.

Or beg, borrow or steal night vision equipment.

Frankly if the problem house is 120 yards away they'll have to be watching the rabbits with binos for them to be offended. I'd just do it but try to be unobtrusive.

Edited by FalconFN

Hmmm, difficult one. The thing is it's not about whether people can see/hear you, so much as shooting safely; in other words knowing that the pellets are not going to leave the land on which you have the permission. Also, check that you're conforming to the rules concerning public highways - roads and the like. The first thing I'd do is find out exactly where the rabbits are entering and exiting and the proximity and angle from the neighbouring properties. Some people don't like telling neighbouring properties about it, but I'd rather they knew, that way everyone's in the loop and it cuts down the likelihood on any nasty accidents happening. If you're confident that you can shoot in a manner that guarantees the pellets won't pass off your permission, then that's the first box ticked. Then I'd tell both properties. Remember that you have the permission already - get that in writing if you can - so you're just informing them that you will be doing it not asking if you can. It may be that you could let them know exact times when you'll be doing it so they know what is going on.

take all your shooting documentation (proof of permission, insurance) so that they can see you're not some happy-go-lucky cowboy who's a danger to everyone around him.

Having said all that, you know the area better than anyone on here, so you'll know whether it's safe to do so! But if you can do it safely and legally, then definitely go for it! Who knows, if the bunnies are attacking the turf, they might be hitting the neighbours' veggies etc anyway, so they might appreciate it as well! Do the job properly and you might get some more permissions out of it!

cheers mate good info the rabbits would be shot at bottom of garden wer coming in thru pail fencing wich has had mesh put on it try to stop them entering but no success. he cant put a fence up neither for some reason like people say late night or earley morn i think going to go next sat morn 5 ish i think before people get up think could be more suspect at night as for ive got a builders van myself if they see it when ther get up wil just think working ther cheers lads . :good::good:

Survey, consider the options, be safe, discreet and quiet, make the decision, or walk away.

This happens a lot domestically, and more often than you would think commercially, I have walked away from many jobs!

If you take it on, it's probably an idea in the circumstances to advise the Police what you are doing as well.

:good:

if they aint living on site yet (the rabbits that is) consider proofing as it sounds like the new owners are also likely to suffer this. Or find were they are living and gain permission, maybe with other methods than shooting if that's an issue

if they aint living on site yet (the rabbits that is) consider proofing as it sounds like the new owners are also likely to suffer this. Or find were they are living and gain permission, maybe with other methods than shooting if that's an issue

Rabbit proofing is seldom easy or cheap, and even if this option is actioned it will need constant maintenance.

All options should be considered just the same!

Its a lot cheaper to proof when the build is in progress and it sounds like any control will be less than effective if you only have the plot to go at, this time of year they will be getting into breeding and you can bet all that fresh grass and plants will draw them in from a distance