Alienware PC

Snap Cap

My son wants one of these computers, scarey looking things by the way lots of lights and stealth black.

But at £2700 I think its a tad stout, especially as it appears to be owned by DELL,

Its a games computer if I am reading things right but still does all the things a PC should,

My question is how much would it cost roughly to have one made privately? Same spec obviously without the scarey case.

Alienware pcs are every bit worth it, if you can afford to pay for them. It is not only the hardware, it is the way it is put together and made to work in lieu. the same hardware built privatey would probably be 30% cheaper to buy, but it just will not be the same...

£2700 is an insane amount of money your buying way too much computer for any games that exists now and when you need that grunt in the future it will be cheaper then anyway. Just slap one together yourself wont cost half the price.

It may be worth waiting for the PS4 you can even order one for £399 now may be even cheaper in future.

£2700 now and.4 month down the line it's out dated!

I gave up with PC's because of that. I used to build and program them! You would get the highest spec and litterally 6 month on there would be a more powerful CPU and larger hard drives etc. Add to that the GAMES were screaming out for the highest specs and it becomes rather expensive.

My son now wants a new PC and was looking around and the prices were insane. I told him to buy tye components and I will help his build it.

£2700 is indeed insane.

Get something like this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-318-OE&groupid=43&catid=2475&subcat=2486
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-327-OE&groupid=43&catid=2475&subcat=2489

i7, 16gb ram, 2/3gb gfx card.

Half the price, and excessive in itself. Will last 5+ years. I brought a £750 one from there 4/5 years ago and only now showing its age.

Edited by gazzthompson

Alienware pcs are every bit worth it, if you can afford to pay for them. It is not only the hardware, it is the way it is put together and made to work in lieu. the same hardware built privatey would probably be 30% cheaper to buy, but it just will not be the same...

Load of rubbish, you can easily spec parts that are compatible and will perform as good or outperform any alienware machine for half the cost.

You're paying for the name, the funky case and the lights.

Overclockers do a good range of gaming pc's at better prices than alienware!

One can indeed build a system considerably cheaper, but not with all the components so carefully put together ensuring total compatibility and optimum performance. That said, the argument between alternative vendors and Alienware is not dissimilar from Beretta/Browning vs. Perazzi. Bleeding edge performance comes at a bleeding edge price.

Equally Snap Cap, unless blessed with being able to readily part with such a healthy wedge on a top end system, one may as well spend £400-£800 on a (standard) PC and £400 on a decent games console as has already been mentioned.

What games is he looking at playing? Buy for that - buying for the future is futile. It is cheaper to upgrade components when the need arises.

Ps4 and new Xbox to be out by Xmas too.

On the other hand, if £2700 quid is an expendable amount of cash or you, go for it. It is obviously what your son wants, and it will make him happy. I'm sure you have experienced this buying a new car or gun or other 'toy'. Sounds like your boy is becoming a man. The difference between men and boys is the price of his toys after all :-)

Alienware is the puppies nuts of gaming pcs. It's all about how they are put together and the parts used. Certain components work better with others. I had the pleasure a while back now lending a mates Alienware laptop, it wasn't as high spec as my viao but the benchmarkes where much better. You could get a PC with the same numbers for less(same amount of SDRAM same hard drive size so on) But it won't have the same quality parts inside. If I remember rightly (please correct if I am wrong)A cheap graphics card uses the same chipset as a expensive one its about the architecture/design of the circuit board that makes them stand out. That's what you pay for in Alienware

Poxy computer games.... I'm having a few hours playing "get rid of the corvids in my garden".

Consists of a few magpie and crow decoys, a Daystate MK3 and some nice shiny accupells.

Comes in at well under £2700 and much more satisfying.

It can be adapted to play "get a few rabbits for the pot" , "there's a feral pigeon problem down the warehouse" and other ones, no need for new software or PC updates. :)

Alienware are over priced, u can source the same components else where cheaper and pop it together yourself for way less money. I know as I have. The same components in the same way as they only go one way, configuerd the same run the same. A decent gaming rig considering the chips are more powerful than needed 99.9% of the time should be half that. Google is your friend on this one.

Thanks for the reply's chaps.

Sadly he is still after one but I am winning the war and getting him to at least consider an alternative cheaper model.

In my favour is the apparent diabolical wifi connection that Alienware pc's suffer from. Heard its not great even right next to the router.So he is a bit concerned about that flaw.

Unless you have a very slow broadband line Snap Cap (i.e. < ~3MB), running your internet connection over wireless for gaming will be like having a ferrari engine in a mini - capable of phenominal perofrmance but hamstringed by what is sits in. The system should have a Gigabit LAN port which should be connected to the router with a Gigabit (Cat 5e) network cable :good:

My son wants one of these computers, scarey looking things by the way lots of lights and stealth black.

But at £2700 I think its a tad stout, especially as it appears to be owned by DELL,

Its a games computer if I am reading things right but still does all the things a PC should,

My question is how much would it cost roughly to have one made privately? Same spec obviously without the scarey case.

All that I can say is if you are seriously considering spending £2700 on a computer for your kid to play on you have got more money that commone sence just get him a playstation to play on and put the rest of the money in the bank to help him with his collage fees when he get older as I see it just because they make things done not mean that people have to buy them :no:

Edited by four-wheel-drive