HOW TO ACHIEVE PERFECT SHOTGUN FIT

I believe shooters fall into four different categories

Those that can shoot any gun you give them very well (Shotgun, rifle) the problem with this type is they make it look so easy.

Those that are not bad shots and can have the odd good day, most of us have had that good day we hold on to.

Those who are learning to shoot, this can be from the start or even getting a new gun

Those who believe it is always the guns fault, wrong cartridges, LOP too long/short, choke to tight, not as good as my Beretta.

Like golf, shooting is about confidence, how often do you hear them go on about putters being the problem or snooker players getting the Yips when nothing will go right for them. It is the brain that shoots the bird as much as the gun, without anyone of them your objective will not be met. I was out shooting on Friday and my mate said "I feel that I can hit anything today, do you ever feel like that" to be honest I earn every shot I make and I dont think I have ever had that feeling where I just can't miss.

I agree gun fit is very important, but not many on here would pay to get it done fully.

I have friends who competition shoot and have trap guns, skeet guns, etc.

These have varying combs, barrel lengths, rib heights and other differing factors I don't pretend to understand.

I think if you want to shoot competition at this level, you should consult a professional regarding choice of gun and appropriate fit.

I have always been a live quarry shooter , who occasionally shoots social clays.

To me the most crucial thing is the LOP, if a gun is too short, or too long, it is uncomfortable/ unnatural to shoot.

You shouldn't have to be mounting the gun and thinking about it all at the same time, it should feel comfortable.

Cheers, now someone could possible describe how to gunfit better than the article states ?

What IS gunfit? You get true gun comfort/good scores by deciding for yourself what works for you, simples. In its most basic form it means to arrive at a set of measurements for an individual that places his eye in line with the rib in such a position as to enable him to see the target clearly and upon discharge to A) give relevant POI and B ) not hurt unduly

This is easily arrived at and unfortunately what an awful lot of expert fitters do as a matter of course, but it is not always what the shooter may actually need and I'm afraid only experience will eventually allow an individual to suss his own requirements.

Edited by Hamster