Glucosamine Sulphate Tablets

wymberley

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glucosamine does work. I recommend it to my patients added chondroitin speeds up the effect and makes it stronger. It does not work for systemic arthropathies such as rheumatoid disease but for wear and tear osteoarthritis it hides the pain and to some extent repairs the damage. You need to take maximum dose 1500 glucosamine 1200 chondroitin for 6-8 weeks for noticeable difference then titrate dose down. Must be taken with food as it should be absorbed in the colon, if not the stomach acid will largely destroy it and it won't be as effective.

Side effects, found in airways in cadavers so not good for asthmatics, causes some water retention so long term use can push up blood pressure. Do not use if on water tablets, or if diabetic due to extra pressure on kidneys or if you have liver disease for same reason. Some people react to the sulphur content, gassy bowels and big waistline but reverse within a week of stoping.

I do not recommend hgh for a manner of reasons but that us another topic

Atb

Footu

Edited by Footu

Glucosamine does work. I recommend it to my patients added chondroitin speeds up the effect and makes it stronger. It does not work for systemic arthropathies such as rheumatoid disease but for wear and tear osteoarthritis it hides the pain and to some extent repairs the damage. You need to take maximum dose 1500 glucosamine 1200 chondroitin for 6-8 weeks for noticeable difference then titrate dose down.

Side effects, found in airways in cadavers so not good for asthmatics, causes some water retention so long term use can push up blood pressure. Do not use if on water tablets, or if diabetic due to extra pressure on kidneys or if you have liver disease for same reason. Some people react to the sulphur content, gassy bowels and big waistline but reverse within a week of stoping.

I do not recommend hgh for a manner of reasons but that us another topic

Atb

Footu

Are you a gp?

Western acupuncture works very well for tendinitis and muscle spasm. It causes intramuscular bleeds which provides calcium via the blood replenishing used stores. This chemical allows the actin and myosin fibres to unlock and release the muscle. It is also used to cause acute inflammation which starts a healing process in chronic conditions. Big chemical reaction which isn't worth going into unless you are fascinated by physiology!

Western acupuncture works very well for tendinitis and muscle spasm. It causes intramuscular bleeds which provides calcium via the blood replenishing used stores. This chemical allows the actin and myosin fibres to unlock and release the muscle. It is also used to cause acute inflammation which starts a healing process in chronic conditions. Big chemical reaction which isn't worth going into unless you are fascinated by physiology!

Are you a GP?

I am an osteopath. Been in practise for 12 years, spent some time on nhs now all private.

So you've never been a gp then

Cheers, I couldn't remember how western acupuncture worked. I've been having it on muscle compartment syndrome for a few years now

Never been a gp.

If acupuncture has not worked for muscle compartment syndrome within a pretty short time then further steps are needed. The muscle expands on contraction, connective fascia does not. The resultant squeeze stops blod flow to the muscle and muscle fibres die. This can get very serious in some cases and the solution I a fasciotomy. Basically cut it all open to relieve the pressure and let the blood flow again. Resultant scar tissue can be worked on with acupuncture or ultrasound. A good stretching regime for the muscles should be undertaken in either case.

Hope this is not treading on anyones toes, just trying to be helpful on topics I am familiar with.

Atb

Footu

Hey Phil,

Michael Colgan had a piece about Glucosamine in one of his books and recommended as a couple of posters that chondroiton be paired with it for best result. There is much use of the product here among athletes and I believe there is a benefit if the joint isn't too far gone.

Something else to look at is the use of systemic enzymes. There function in the body is to break down fibrin and eliminate inflammation. When used for this purpose they should be taken on an empty stomach---not with meals. Google Zymessence for more info on this cutting edge therapy.

Growth Hormone is a 2 edge sword and should be used sparingly if you may have any neoplasms(cancerous growths) as supposedly it spurs all tissue to grow at an accelerated rate.

An afternoon nap raises HGH and that's what I am seriously considering right now.

Never been a gp.

If acupuncture has not worked for muscle compartment syndrome within a pretty short time then further steps are needed. The muscle expands on contraction, connective fascia does not. The resultant squeeze stops blod flow to the muscle and muscle fibres die. This can get very serious in some cases and the solution I a fasciotomy. Basically cut it all open to relieve the pressure and let the blood flow again. Resultant scar tissue can be worked on with acupuncture or ultrasound. A good stretching regime for the muscles should be undertaken in either case.

Hope this is not treading on anyones toes, just trying to be helpful on topics I am familiar with.

Atb

Footu

very interesting thank you

so what do you as a osteopath , is that bones etc.

asking because i think i need to see either a physio or osteo

Never been a gp.

Atb

Footu

Fasciotomy had been proven not to work and has too high a risk of infection. They have stopped doing that procedure now. I have had it for nearly 7 years now and it just seems to be getting worse

Hello, mate,

Thanks for taking the trouble. Now when I recline the chair after lunch I can tell SWMBO that I'm having 40 winks on beneficial medical grounds.

It normally only release during deep sleep so probably wouldn't work with a quick nap normally at night during your normal routine sleep

Royal

For your info Quackwatch is run by the pharmaceutical industry and discredits any and all things that don't benefit the industry ----even things that have been proven to work in the Europe.

Wikipedia says different. Do you have any proof of your theory?

The first and last resort of every branch of alternative medicine when responding to criticism is to blame Big Pharma conspiracies and their financial interests. In fact the alt med industry is hugely more profitable than the 'real' pharma industry because they don't have to bother with expensive research and licence costs. Any old tosh with a nice story can be on the market in weeks

as long as they make no overt claim to treat, prevent or cure any disease or ailment. The pharmaceutical industry is far from perfect but to suggest the alt med crowd are any more principled or less concerned with making a quick buck is naive.

The reason so many things are called "alternative medicine" is because there is not sufficient research or convincing evidence that they work, if there was it would be called "medicine" and subject to much more rigorous legislation.

In the US the laws are a little different, and you can say pretty much what you want on the label as long as it says afterwards "this statement has not been validated by the Food & Drug Administration" or something similar.

Ben Goldacre's book "Bad Science" is a fascinating insight into the weird world of alternative medicine and well worth a read. If you think he is in the pay of the pharmaceutical industry as well, try his next book "Bad Pharma" and you will see how unlikely that is...

I work mainly on musculoskeletal problems. Osteopathy is also used to help many visceral disorders, care of animals- I did several years improving performance of horses and dogs for competitions, I have also worked on sports people and treatment of babies. I worked alongside dentists for tmj problems following dentistry. It's a pretty broad system. I have to be careful of what it can claim to do under asa guidelines but like all professions there are good and bad practitioners and best is always a word of mouth recommendation.

The reason so many things are called "alternative medicine" is because there is not sufficient research or convincing evidence that they work, if there was it would be called "medicine" and subject to much more rigorous legislation.

This does not mean its all rubbish though as 99% of research is conducted by pharma companies. Bias influence then? Why take NSAID for low back pain when an ice pack would do a better job? Don't see many adverts for ice.

Osteopathy came about onthe 1850s, came to the uk in 1914 and didn't get statutory legislation until 2001. It still worked before then!

I agree there is a lot of nonsense out there too but just saying there is often more than one route to a destination.

Guys

There is a lot of odd stuff being written here, and frankly some of it beggars belief, I am not going to get into an argument with anybody but suggest you talk to your GP rather than take some of the very dubious info posted here as gospel

Doc

But remember that your well meaning GP usually has to rely on Information provided to him in biased reports made by profiteering pharma companies , has no training in statistics so would be unable to decipher the pharma companies data if ever they were to make it all available (which they dont because they own the research and only want you to know what profits them) and that your GP has usually recieved no training whatsoever in nutrition , add to this the fact that for the last thirty or so years all this biased information he has been receiving has been based on even more biased information and dodgy trials and you might get an idea of what a pickle the medical profession is in at the moment

But remember that your well meaning GP usually has to rely on Information provided to him in biased reports made by profiteering pharma companies , has no training in statistics so would be unable to decipher the pharma companies data if ever they were to make it all available (which they dont because they own the research and only want you to know what profits them) and that your GP has usually recieved no training whatsoever in nutrition , add to this the fact that for the last thirty or so years all this biased information he has been receiving has been based on even more biased information and dodgy trials and you might get an idea of what a pickle the medical profession is in at the moment

And that is why I always recommend people to use the witch doctor down the road rather than going to a qualified doctor what do they no after all they have only spent eight years learning to be a GP.

I work mainly on musculoskeletal problems. Osteopathy is also used to help many visceral disorders, care of animals- I did several years improving performance of horses and dogs for competitions, I have also worked on sports people and treatment of babies. I worked alongside dentists for tmj problems following dentistry. It's a pretty broad system. I have to be careful of what it can claim to do under asa guidelines but like all professions there are good and bad practitioners and best is always a word of mouth recommendation.

what are visceral disorders please