barrel life 22.250

hi guys ime on with buying a new 22.250 at the moment,how many shots should you get from this round, ive always believed around the 1500 mark,just wondering how long your 22.250,s last...also what kind of groups do you get with it, as my old 22.250 was no tack driver to be honest, only doing inch or just under on average at 100 yards...cheers simon...

I suppose allot depends on how its shot, if your like me when i first had mine it shot everything from fox's to buttercups i got through about 3500 in around 20 months. 2 years after i bought it it was re-barreled, i'm not so trigger happy now thankfully :lol:.

If your one for speed then again that will affect greatly on barrel wear, if you keep your loading down to an acceptable level then it will extend the barrel life. As will keeping strings of shots to a minimum, (excessive heating of barrels)

Barrels are in the end just consumables, that can be replaced.

Forgot about group size, i am happy with 0.3 of an inch or less...

Edited by Dougy

hi guys ime on with buying a new 22.250 at the moment,how many shots should you get from this round, ive always believed around the 1500 mark,just wondering how long your 22.250,s last...also what kind of groups do you get with it, as my old 22.250 was no tack driver to be honest, only doing inch or just under on average at 100 yards...cheers simon...

1" groups mean 1/2" average at worst against aim point, there isn't anything much that will argue with a 22-250 delivered to within 1/2" of where you want it!

That sort of group can be explained by many things including barrel, crown, mod, ammo, shooter, weather, cleaning regime, stock, etc etc. The 22-250 isn't a target calibre it is a hunting calibre, I wouldn't beat yourself up about 1" groups.

Cleaning/maintenance and shooting strings are important factors in any barrel life, if you went for it you could "probably" destroy a 22-250 barrel in an afternoon on a range, if you can find one to take it (NOT allowed at Bisley etc), but you can also make it last with care! :yes::good:

1" groups are completely acceptable for a factory rifle.

My last 22.250 accounted for well over 3000 foxes in 20 years before it became redundant and was still shooting straight.

I saw the light and bought .204 !!!

That is some going, averaging 150 per year, I have had VERY few years where I have gone over 100, usually 30-80 annually! :good::good::good:

That is some going, averaging 150 per year, I have had VERY few years where I have gone over 100, usually 30-80 annually! :good::good::good:

In fairness I cover one hell of an area, measure it in square miles not acres. So at say 3 a week it's not that many really and still plenty left for the foxhounds.......before the ban of course.

Just buy what you like and then look after it, personally new barrels aren't a huge cost if and when you need one, but keep the mod off the rifle and clean regularly and use a pull through to remove crud and moisture each time out and it will last a fair amount of shooting

Just buy what you like and then look after it, personally new barrels aren't a huge cost if and when you need one, but keep the mod off the rifle and clean regularly and use a pull through to remove crud and moisture each time out and it will last a fair amount of shooting

You are obviously a wealthy man, for many a trade in and new rifle will actually cost less, a new barrel/fitting is likely to be well over £500 for most cf!

Edited by Dekers

You are obviously a wealthy man, for many a trade in and new rifle will actually cost less, a new barrel/fitting is likely to be well over £500 for most cf!

spread over 2000-3000 rounds the cost isn't that bad assuming normal vermin shooting that is 8-10 years for most people at most

there was an if you need one and a proviso to look after it to get the maximum life span, but ultimately they are tools use them enough and you will eventually need a new barrel. If you could picture the pile of foxes you would produce before needing one I'd suggest that is very good value for money.

I would re barrel my .243 as and when it needs it but then I did buy a sako not a tika so it wasn't a write off if you needed one :)