Spraying

The Pest Expert

Has anyone ever sprayed a airgun barrel before?

Just read an article about people who spray there whole guns in a fancy camo pattern with leaves and stuff is it possible to just spray onto the blueing? Wouldnt it all need priming seems a little much i think.. Anyone else ever done this?

I wouldn't spray a gun. I'm not a fan of sprayed guns, To do it properly it's a lot of work and once it's done, it's a pain to remove, particularly if you're spraying the wood as well. Camoing up a gun can make it look brilliant, and does help with shy or easily spooked quarry, but by far and away the best way to do it is hydro-dipping. That was you can remove it easily and you're left with your gun untouched. As soon as you start spraying things it gets complicated returning the gun to its original condition. To get a good finish, I imagine you would have to prime first, so that's something else to come off!

camoit.co.uk do a good system. You get a professional looking job then!

Edited by chrisjpainter

Loads of vids on YOU TUBE on spraying guns in camo if you like that sort of thing.

I would only do it on a cheap gun or a rusty gun thats not worth re-blueing.

If it`s any guide l got a Daystate Huntsman FTR for £175 because it had been sprayed camo.

I stripped the gun and had to wash it down with thinners.

I couldn`t beleave why someone would spray a lovely peace of walnut stock.

I had it re-blued and put all new seals in it. And true oiled the stock it looks mint.

So £175 for the gun. £10 true oil. £25 re-blueing. £12 seal kit. == £222.

For a stunning looking Rifle thats deadly accurate re-sealed and re-blued.

Most home camo jobs i have seen look ****. And just devalue your Rifle.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

That camo it is some very interesting stuff dout youll get a finish like his tho haha!

I'd be tempted to have a crack at it on a simple stock, but right now I have a Daystate mk4is and that's not a straightforward stock. I'm looking to buy an air wolf, which judging by the vid isn't straightforward either! If I do it, my humble S10 might be the guinea pig...

Edited by chrisjpainter

^ nice advice, i have a BSA mercury that has no enameling left on it, i have some ferric chloride etch primer, will that work?

( EDIT - Google d it, no i definitely don't want to use ferric chloride because its highly corrosive..)

Edited by demonwolf444

Id definately steer clear of spraying guns. Ive resprayed just about everything at one point or another - cars, motorbikes, guitars, toy cars... even my lawn mower. But, to do a proper job takes a lot of time. Stripping surfaces down so you have a good key, then using the correct primer for the material you are about to paint. Then spraying enough coats to give a good finish, then possibly lacquering on top of that.

Plus, as someone else said, once you have done all that, its a nightmare if you want to then strip it all back to bare metal to reblue it or stripping wood down etc.

Id only do it on a mega cheap project gun if I had to. But even then, out in the field ive yet to see a rabbit or pigeon see my gun and run away. As long as you havent got sparkly shiney stainless steel bling on it, you should be fine.