FAC air rifle advice

Axeman1984

hi guys I'm after an FAC air rifle, generally do you buy one as an fac or do you buy a sub 12ft/lb one and then get it turned up? I've had a hw100s in the past and loved it but haven't seen an fac version, also has anybody had any experience with the air arms s510 extra fac that looks a tasty peice of kit I really like the idea of the adjustable power, cheers guys axeman...

if you like adjustable power check out daystate 15 different power settings,you tend to pay more for sub 12 than fac so buy fac.try and pick up second hand as they bleed money if your not carefull.hw100 in fac is not the best but awesome in sub 12 in my opinion.no point buying a 177 in fac if you ask me pm me if i can help bud might be a good idea to say were your from as someone local might be able to offer advice etc

atb mike

Hi Axeman

As the other members have said, it is best to buy an FAC as is rather than buy a sub 12ft/lb then pay again to have it turned up.

I have actually got an HW100 in FAC and am quite pleased with it. There again, maybe my expectations and requirements are different to others.

There was a lot of talk (and still is in some quarters) about it being inaccurate. Well, as I say, maybe what I want is different to other people and so I find my 1" groups at 60yds sufficient for what I want.

They are very pellet fussy. I eventually found that AA Field Extras (18.4g) were the best for mine after having shot a lot of Bisley Magnums through it. I also think that they may take on the 'challenging' attribute of the springer in that (I suspect) it is a bit hold fussy too. This may be where people currently get the idea that it is inaccurate when, in actual fact, it is simply showing up their poor shooting habits. The historical questions about accuracy came from Weihrauch using a polygon barrel as far as I'm aware.

Regarding the question of adjustable power. The thought of having to either adjust my zero or make the necessary allowances doesn't appeal to me but it may you.

As usual, the best way to go about it would be to appeal to other users of the forum who own FAC air rifles to allow you to try them out. It will involve a bit of travelling on your behalf but at least you'll be able to actually shoot the guns in FAC and ask the owners on their thoughts.

As said buy one already done as you will devalue a sub 12ft ib rifle by a couple of hundred quid, depending how much you want to spend you wont go wrong with a mk1 rapid 7, adjustable power, plenty of shots per charge if kept to sensible power (30 - 35ft ib) and very accurate, can usually pick them up for about 350 for a full set up. If you want a fancy rifle id go Daystate.

Air ranger @36-40ftlbs or if you can run to it an Airwolf MCT. Budget is always the main consideration. My Airwolf is pretty much as quiet as a moderated air arms s410. Its clinically accurate out to 75-80 yards. The trigger is a dream too use. PDF here of the shot to shot variation.

airwolf mct fac .22 40ftlbs chrono.pdf

Would you say the daystate is really worth the extra 4-500 quid ontop of what you can pick up an air arms s510 FAC or mk2 bsa R10 FAC, I love the look of the day states but since you've suggested it and I've looked around there hellishly dear, but as with most things in life you pay for what you get right?

yep,i have 2 mk2 fac rapids and a mfr... the mfr handles lovely...... easy to work on should you need to,does n`t have to go back to the factory like one of the m electric daystates lol

oi! 'nough of that! electronics rule! seriously though, apparently Daystate reckon more mechanical ones are sent back than the electrical ones. Having said that though, if I was looking for an FAC, I'd be pretty torn between an Air Wolf and the Theoben MFR. The fact that Theos are so easy to work on yourself is a bit of a plus and there are always spares around, despite the company going under. That one certainly looks like on to follow up on

Well, you'll notice the power hits a cliff and suddenly starts to drop off as the cylinder no longer has the pressure to churn out ful power shots. then you just top it up as normal to the recommended pressure watching the gauge on the bottle or pump. It's a bit of an inconvenience possibly, but you get used to it. My S10 doesn't have a gauge but it doesn't bother me really now. I top it up before a trip if I know it hasn't been topped up for a while.

The reason I'm getting an FAC air rifle is because I have a 7 acre small holding that belongs to me, and although I have an open ticket FAC air was the recommended calibre when the land was surveyed which I totally agree with, plus I already have a sako quad .17 HMR...

Can anybody,seriously,explain a reason why you would ever need 15 power settings? Buy the AA S510 or a .22lr.

I'd like to know that too! I like the FX set up of three, and the two settings on the Air wolf. I think on the FAC models you can just have the two of hi power and low power, the latter being sub 12ftlb. beyond that, I think it's a case of being able to, not needing to! With the eletctrics in the Daystates, it's just a matter of being able to do it, so why not? If i had one, to be honest I doubt i'd use anything more than FAC power and non FAC power