Barrel length 22

TGEvans

Any guess at optimum barrel length does not take into account either subsonic or sonic load, burn rate of powder,bullet weight,type/amount of lubricant, temperature even altitude but truth be known it doesn't really mater the bunnies won't care one jot how long your rifle is

Short barreled .22's still give amazing accuracy but with added convenience when used, as many are, from a vehicle. They also balance better when fitted with a moderator and carried on a sling.

Trigger weight safety is well worth considering when shooting from a vehicle ... wouldn't you say, Ian ?

Any guess at optimum barrel length does not take into account either subsonic or sonic load, burn rate of powder,bullet weight,type/amount of lubricant, temperature even altitude but truth be known it doesn't really mater the bunnies won't care one jot how long your rifle is

I would have thought the burn rate is the most critical here, in effect the energy transfer rate, if the bullet leaves the barrel before the transfer is complete then the velocity will be lower, similarly if the burn rate is short all energy transfered 1/2 way up the barrel then due to friction and other opposing forces it won't be as fast. I'd say if shooting slow burning power above sea level with high head wind and high humidity then use the longer barrel, if opposite conditions use the short one. But like many others have said is it really worth worrying about?. If I was shooting a lot of targets at a range I think I'd opt for the longer one tho, simply for

Highseas, thanks for keeping a level head when all around us are squabbling over technicalities.

Actually there is a whole raft of specs in t'interweb about barrel length / rate of twists - burn time / length of barrel,,,,,,

I read a bit about it and it boiled down to:

***Most*** of the powder for a subsonic .22LR will be burnt up in within 12~13" - any leftover will not make up for the drag that subsequently occurs after the 13".

The majority of bullet stability will be imparted within the first full revolution in the barrel (1:12 = 1 full twist in 12 inches of barrel)

**From a vice** or steady hand, a barrel of about 13~14" is ideal for .22LR sub-sonics as far as ballistics is concerned. Aesthetics, ease of use and comfort are the deciding factors thereafter.

Cough - PENIS ENVY !!!!

Highseas, thanks for keeping a level head when all around us are squabbling over technicalities.

Actually there is a whole raft of specs in t'interweb about barrel length / rate of twists - burn time / length of barrel,,,,,,

I read a bit about it and it boiled down to:

***Most*** of the powder for a subsonic .22LR will be burnt up in within 12~13" - any leftover will not make up for the drag that subsequently occurs after the 13".

The majority of bullet stability will be imparted within the first full revolution in the barrel (1:12 = 1 full twist in 12 inches of barrel)

**From a vice** or steady hand, a barrel of about 13~14" is ideal for .22LR sub-sonics as far as ballistics is concerned. Aesthetics, ease of use and comfort are the deciding factors thereafter.

Cough - PENIS ENVY !!!!

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

The vast majority of .22lr are 1-16 twist. :yes::good:

Bah humbug :whistling: Should be fairly stable then. I'm old and my memory is pants - I am flawed, but I'm sure that's what it said. However: if you look at the size of the bullet, it would seem reasonable that by the time it has traveled the ~14" it should be pretty rock solid by then.

Whatever: my 16" CZ can punch clover leafs at 50m (when I don't muck it up too badly) and the bunnies don't complain.

But that would loose accuracy as you would damage the crown. But then at only a inch away even a Boot Neck could not miss.

Who said anything about pulling the trigger? If in doubt, hit things with it.

You obviously have far greater knowledge then the rest of us, so you must be right.

That's the spirit.

Well,spoke to three people who should know more than most about this today.Two are current and previous rifle champions who shoot worldwide,and the other was a guy who works for and builds the CZ rifles!Right,I'm expecting hassle for this but here goes.What the three agreed on was that 16 inch is ideal for subsonic ammo up to 100 yards in the majority of cases.But.... After about 40-50 rounds a longer heavy barrel would stabilise the bullet better over distance.And that a heavy long barrel is far better for HV ammo.Right,I'm off now!!!!

Well,spoke to three people who should know more than most about this today.Two are current and previous rifle champions who shoot worldwide,and the other was a guy who works for and builds the CZ rifles!Right,I'm expecting hassle for this but here goes.What the three agreed on was that 16 inch is ideal for subsonic ammo up to 100 yards in the majority of cases.But.... After about 40-50 rounds a longer heavy barrel would stabilise the bullet better over distance.And that a heavy long barrel is far better for HV ammo.Right,I'm off now!!!!

Where's the 'Like' button.....