not a good day (nikon monarch)

bikemad24

iv had my first rifle for a month now a 17hmr. i bought it with a hawke endurance 2.5 x 10 x 56 scope. i really liked the scope but a as i have a home made nv i wanted a scope with parallax adjustment. so a friend sold me his nikon monarch 5 x 20 x44 which is a much better scope imho. but when zeroing today in the indoor silage pit at the farm at 50 yrds i totally run out of windage adjustment by around 6 inches. ( to the right) i put the hawke back on and it was fine, but as the hawke has 30mm tube and the nikon has 25mm tubes i cant use the same mounts. Correct me if im wrong but its got to be the original mounts on the nikon? the scope does not look bent in any way. my friend i bought it from is very very trustworthy so iv got no worries giving it back, but don't want to look a plonker either. any ideas from this forum? oh just to let everyone know took my first rabbit at over 200 yds on Friday with a friend from work he brought his 22lr with him, to say he was impressed was a understatement. never broke the 200 yd barrier and with some help from the free stretlock app it was quite easy.

Try switching the rings around. They could be cut just off center. If that doesn't work, you can get windage adjustable rings.

Rick

That sounds like the problem. As said, take the mounts off and swap them about - front to back. If this still doesnt cure the problem then try again but this time turn each mount round 180 degrees before fitting them to the rifle. It's a bit of messing about but this will often cure this type of problem - I had exactly the same problem with a friends CZ 452 (17 HMR) and after 15 minutes of swapping them around they ended up spot on whereas my friend was ready to go and buy new mounts!

What mounts are you using?

Are they on the same way and are the base clamp plates turned the same way (some have 3/8 and 9-11mm variable bases).

Check everything is the same and/or then swap things about as per other posters here, if this doesn't produce results then it is the scope seeing as your Hawke works!

Edited by Dekers

An ex member on here has just had similar with one of my scopes, with leupold rings ran out of adjustment. I had the same issue with leupold rings on another rifle that was also fine with other scopes. However this has been in optilocks on my sako no issues and also no issues on my HMR so really I think occasionally you do get issues with rings. Its worth trying on another rifle and possibly with different rings if swapping them round doesn't help.

Just shim the mounts, I had this before, I was recomended old photograph film, and it worked well.

That's like putting a band aid on a broken leg! There is something very wrong here!

"zeroing today in the indoor silage pit at the farm at 50 yrds i totally run out of windage adjustment by around 6 inches"