Wildfowling Scotland, laws and land

plank06

Hi all, a while back I read something and it was suggesting that in parts of Scotland, you are free to go on the coast wildfowling, and not as a member of a club. Im sure this can't be right but if anyone knows any more on the subject, please enlighten me! Regards, Matt

go where you like as long as its tidal and not a reserve.

Hi all, a while back I read something and it was suggesting that in parts of Scotland, you are free to go on the coast wildfowling, and not as a member of a club. Im sure this can't be right but if anyone knows any more on the subject, please enlighten me! Regards, Matt

In theory, yes you can shoot below the mean high water mark in Scotland, BUT...

Firstly, get access to coast...armed trespass over unauthorised land is an issue.

Then find an area of coast that is not a reserve as previously mentioned.

Then find an area that birds are flighting over.

Then find somewhere safe where you will not get cut off or drowned.

The list goes on......

No coastal shooting anywhere is easy if you just turn up.

Please stay safe.

ATB

There are a few places you can shoot on the Foreshore in Scotland, that are accesible. You just need to do your home work, do the research, and then have a look. There wont be many people who will give locations, due to places being in short supply. Or, apply for the BASC wildfowling booklet, and apply for a few day tickets.

go where you like as long as its tidal and not a reserve.

Wildfowling on some reserves is allowed.

I have shot on part of a nnr in scotland, legally.

Ask BASC.

Or read up on the right to recreation.

The right has been modified/removed in some areas such as mod land, harbors/ports and some reserves.

Other than these places shooting is free to all between the mhwm and mlwm.

Access is not a concern. You can cross any land or water to directly access a place to shoot where the right has not been modified/removed. Dogs on lead.

You must own the shotgun you are using.

Non toxic shot only.

Saying all that...go with someone who knows the area for safety sake, and read up and study the laws and rules before going. Do not take the word of people on a forum as gospel.

.An old mate of mines ,Brother lost his life up there, He and his mate got cut off by the tide, sadly he drowned, but his mate was treated for hypothermia. Just take note of this thats all:

As the above post states, always be aware of the tide table, and spring tides also. Its sometimes well worth a recce to check out any potential places you wish to shoot. But above all, be safe and aware.

Shoot the river Tay between Dundee and Perth. Lots of good areas and safe as well. I cant remember the name of the farm but it is not far from Longforgen on the west side of Dundee. They have a well marked access path which takes you down to the foreshore. You are able to park on an area just away from the farm buildings and all you needed to do was sign the book to say you were shooting and then fill in a return of what you shot as you left. I have spent many a great morning/evening in this area.

Happy Plinker is right in what he says & there have been the odd shooters from south coming up to Orkney thinking its all free here on the foreshore & farms ! .

I know one local shooter who found some of the help themselves types on his perm & he promptly ordered them off ! remember ask the land owner or farmer first in Orkney & Shetland otherwise it get you in a bit of bother ! . :good: .

Shoot the river Tay between Dundee and Perth. Lots of good areas and safe as well. I cant remember the name of the farm but it is not far from Longforgen on the west side of Dundee. They have a well marked access path which takes you down to the foreshore. You are able to park on an area just away from the farm buildings and all you needed to do was sign the book to say you were shooting and then fill in a return of what you shot as you left. I have spent many a great morning/evening in this area.

I don`t shoot that far up but it is probably seaside or Powgavie.

As for safe... there are quite a few people who have been given a scare on the Tay by both the tide and the idiots who think it is OK to motor up and down the reeds shooting duck as they rise, (I`ve personally had 2 shots past me). Even if you are just shooting from the sea wall the tide can catch you out and in a few places the sea wall has been badly breached so even walking has its problems.

I would advise that if you are new to an area go out with 1-2 friends or ask a friendly local ;)

Yes, I think that is the place, Powgavie. I see your point about people shooting when motoring up and down the reed beds but I have only saw it up your way, from the Friarton Bridge down to the sewage works area, I would think that to motor up and down in front of the reed beds down the Powgavie/Seaside way you would have to be a good bit out to be safe on a boat. I think you would have to be a total moron to get caught out at the area that I used to shoot regularly, indeed to get in a situation there you would have to be walking out on the mud flats. If you are new to the area that is where I would go as all you need to do is stick to the access path and you will be able to shoot from lots of safe area's without putting yourself in any danger. As for the sea walls as long as you keep the water about 10 feet away from you and move back every now and then you will be safe. An other good safe area to go to if you are not sure of the area is Tentsmuir forest side of the river, there is some cracking safe access points to get into the fowling.