BASC pigeon shooting course.

-Mongrel-

I wasn't quite sure where to put this post but decided that actually, it was a good tip...go and do the BASC Pigeon shooting course if you are lacking experience or looking to up your game.

I did it because it seemed exceptionally good value, and nothing ventured, nothing gained...and I'm glad I did!

Don't get me wrong, nothing earth shattering, but many small comments that made me sit up and think 'Oh that's why that happens', and a good part of the day dedicated to gear (a lot of what you don't really need even though it's often billed as essential), and what you do need, mainly movement.

Plenty about how to modify your existing decoys and how to tart up those tatty old decoys to best effect, as well as what you need to 'upgrade' on many of the shop bought decoys (strong neck and wing bars being the biggest thing that's weak on shop boughts)

A section on patterns and not getting too stuck on a particular pattern and just sticking to the main principles of closing off the head of the pattern and providing a landing area. I discovered a huge mistake I've been making with the magnet that may well be scaring birds, it's been sited much too close to the pattern, and I also have a better understanding of what I want from my bouncers and floaters...as well as some DIY mods to make them behave better.

Todays course was presented by Shane Robinson, he's a good mate of Chris Green (Google the Cornish Countryman if you don't know who he is and want to), as such, many of the ideas are available to buy but he had no hesitation in telling, nay encouraging us to do this ourselves. As he said, it's all made by them, so if they can do it, so can we.

I enjoyed it and would thoroughly recommend it and, at £45 for members or £65 for non -members, I'd suggest it's a bargain. You'd save more than that with not buying **** you don't need!

Edited by -Mongrel-

I wasn't quite sure where to put this post but decided that actually, it was a good tip...go and do the BASC Pigeon shooting course if you are lacking experience or looking to up your game.

I did it because it seemed exceptionally good value, and nothing ventured, nothing gained...and I'm glad I did!

Don't get me wrong, nothing earth shattering, but many small comments that made me sit up and think 'Oh that's why that happens', and a good part of the day dedicated to gear (a lot of what you don't really need even though it's often billed as essential), and what you do need, mainly movement.

Plenty about how to modify your existing decoys and how to tart up those tatty old decoys to best effect, as well as what you need to 'upgrade' on many of the shop bought decoys (strong neck and wing bars being the biggest thing that's weak on shop boughts)

A section on patterns and not getting too stuck on a particular pattern and just sticking to the main principles of closing off the head of the pattern and providing a landing area. I discovered a huge mistake I've been making with the magnet that may well be scaring birds, it's been sited much too close to the pattern, and I also have a better understanding of what I want from my bouncers and floaters...as well as some DIY mods to make them behave better.

Todays course was presented by Shane Robinson, he's a good mate of Chris Green (Google the Cornish Countryman if you don't know who he is and want to), as such, many of the ideas are available to buy but he had no hesitation in telling, nay encouraging us to do this ourselves. As he said, it's all made by them, so if they can do it, so can we.

I enjoyed it and would thoroughly recommend it and, at £45 for members or £65 for non -members, I'd suggest it's a bargain. You'd save more than that with not buying **** you don't need!

I wouldn't think that's too much of a problem. I normally deploy my magnets right next to my decoys and never usually more than six yards away from them.

I wouldn't think that's too much of a problem. I normally deploy my magnets right next to my decoys and never usually more than six yards away from them.

The suggestion was that you'd be better off siting the magnet away from the pattern and on the highest bit of the field (within) reason. The magnet would draw them from a distance (hence why you site it high and in the open for maximum visibility) and then your 'lively' pattern would then draw them right in. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but makes sense to me, and he's shot a few over the years so it must work for him. As we all know, not a lot's definitive when it comes to shooting.

Edited by -Mongrel-

well looks like you would save the £45 pound then :lol: by not going :yahoo::yahoo:

You're quite right, i wouldn't bother. Don't quite know why you think it's funny or clever to post that - it's neither.

Anyway, i've spoken to Peter Theobald at length about shooting pigeons and i think we do many things the same. As he would probably be the person taking the course most local to me, it would seem a bit pointless, wouldn't it?

The suggestion was that you'd be better off siting the magnet away from the pattern and on the highest bit of the field (within) reason. The magnet would draw them from a distance (hence why you site it high and in the open for maximum visibility) and then your 'lively' pattern would then draw them right in. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but makes sense to me, and he's shot a few over the years so it must work for him. As we all know, not a lot's definitive when it comes to shooting.

Of course there's nothing definitive in pigeon shooting, but i really don't see the point in having a magnet too far from the pattern. This can - in my experience - draw birds away from the pattern and to the magnet. That's why i never usually have my magnets more than 20 yards from my hide.

It's interesting really. You were on a BASC run course which has different 'tutors'. I'll bet that had Peter Theobald been taking your course, he would have shown you a completely different way of doing things.

Incidentally, if Shane Robinson agrees with everything that Chris Green advocates, then a lot of what he said could perhaps be taken with a pinch of salt. I like some of Chris' ideas, but on his pigeon shooting secrets DVD he talks quite a lot of rubbish.

I went on a BASC East course last year run by Peter Theobald, ably assisted by our The Essex Hunter and SA Shooter. He had his magnet about 7 - 8 m directly in front of his hide with a clump of decoys either side to create a central killing zone, based upon wind direction coming into the back of the hide.

You're quite right, i wouldn't bother. Don't quite know why you think it's funny or clever to post that - it's neither.

Anyway, i've spoken to Peter Theobald at length about shooting pigeons and i think we do many things the same. As he would probably be the person taking the course most local to me, it would seem a bit pointless, wouldn't it?

Motty sounds like your the man that could show me a few tricks mate and your only 45 mins down the road from me if your feeling generous one weekend :-)

Why go on the course, just read all the tips on the forum, its cheaper, better still, get out there and shoot some pigeons, there's no substitute for experience. :yahoo::yahoo:

There speaks the voice of inexperience....regarding this forum anyway! For every good post there is on here, there are ten armchair shooters who have read lots but done little, spouting rubbish! The trick is to learn who is worth listening to!

As for the get out there comment, I do. But why would you not want to listen to the opinions of a experienced shooter? You may decide that some things aren't working for you, but at least you get a solid start point no? If you have Peter Theobald on hand then yes, I guess you won't be needing this.

As for Shane subscribing to all of Chris Greens ideas, I don't know, I guess he uses what works for him.

This course is aimed at new shooters, as such I think it was very good. More experienced shots will learn less and disagree more, but if you are a real know it all, maybe you should be running the course?

Edit: the last comment was aimed at the less than helpful posters rather than those entering into a discussion!

Edited by -Mongrel-

all I saying is that you need not go on this course because you seem to have magnet in rite place :good: so hows that being funny or cleaver??? wind ya neck in son

mongrel, well done you mate, IMO I think its a cracking idea because lets be honest there are quite a few novices on PW and it can only be good for them to go on a coarse like this,i,ve been shooting pigeons for 39years now and I,m still wanting to find ways of improving my knowledge of the sport and the ways in which I do things and I will certainly go on one if they come to somewhere near my area,

but as always there is also those that know it all and cant learn nothing, its a great idea and also at £45 to members worth it for those willing to learn the different ways other people do it,,also not everyone shoots pigeons so it would give them some idea should they be given the chance

WELL DONE BASC

I have to say that most of the attendees had never shot a pigeon from a hide. I was surprised at the number of game shots present but chatting at lunch explained this.

"Times are a little hard don't you know, and one feels that £800 a day is possibly a little extravagant, so I thought I might do some pigeon shooting as well this season"! I **** you not, that is almost verbatim what one of my compatriots said.

Poor man, struggling to pay his 8 grand a year game shooting bill so thought he'd come and slum it, there were even a couple of comments about how he would have to source his own 'livener'. It's a good thing I'm a calm collected type, or I might have told him where to stash his bottle of Sloe Gin. In fairness, most of the lads were good sorts, he was the worst but there was one other with a similar background and mindset, I was sorely tempted to give his Audi convertible a nudge on the way out too!!! :lol:

I don't begrudge either of them their wealth or opportunity, I'd quite like to try a game shoot one day but it doesn't worry me unduly. It was just the attitude that rankled, can't afford the pheasant and grice at the moment so will have to make do with pigeon shooting.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Just because someone does things differently, doesn't mean its rubbish.

Take on board any advice and take every opportunity to gain experience, implement any ideas and see what works for you.

The very basics, reconnaissance, picking the correct field etc are the same across the board ...... if you want to shoot a decent bag.