any Autoglass fitters on here

darren m

any autoglass fitters

chaps - i,ve just had a new windscreen fitted in my trooper by AA autowindshields for its MOT .
This was only done last weds, less than a week ago and already its cracked .

i,ve only used the car a half dozen times and its defo not a stone chip , just a crack in the left corner coming out the left side trim and going over the tax disc and downwards towards the wipers, must be about 6/8 inchs and growing .

to anyone who may know , what is likely to have caused this .
A.faulty glass
B. faulty fitting

thanks

Mine got replaced a couple of weeks ago and now my car has several extremely annoying rattles from the el cheapo nasty plastic trim they claim is as good as Honda's original trim and the wipers have not been put back on properly I have discovered during the heavy rain on the way home!

Mine was done a few weeks back, first idiot tried to do it in the snow Used his heat gun on the trim and shrunk it all up, second guy looked and said it was a pattern part and he would need to order the proper mitsubishi trim so I would have to wait a few weeks , third guy said other two were muppets and had to fit a complete new screen and the mitsi trim, all in all it took three fitters, two windscreens , two trims and about six weeks to do it , not exactly a professional outfit or cheap on a 2007 shogun , I would guess yours was a pattern part and probably already damaged or fitted incorrectly, get em back out again to sort it for free

I had the rear window of my Citroen done last year, they came out three times and in the end I drove it over to them in Peterborough.

Walked in to a packed reception and told them that the Manager was needed, he came out and tried to take me somewhere a bit quieter!

I let him know that as I had been sent by my insurance company and I was far from happy, I would be complaining to Aviva.

He got one of his technicians on the job who actually knew what to do!

30 minutes later with the window properly fixed I was called by the Manager who then refunded half of my glass excess costs.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

I used to work for a windscreen company and by what you have said it could be a case of a number of factors that has led to the screen cracking.

I would call up the company that fitted the windscreen and ask them to send someone out to inspect/replace if free of charge and also inform your insurance company.

They should be able to identify if there is a stone chip on the screen that has caused the crack or the fitment/trim that could have cracked it.

If there is no damage to the screen then they should replace it free of charge.

If they do find damage ask them to point this damage out to you before they replace the screen, then all you will need to pay is the excess again.

What make is the glass that was used?

I know there was an issue with FY glass at the back end of last year.

I Have been doing it for over 20 years and there are some right bodgers about to be fair, but if you use one of the big companies you should get a proper guarantee or lifetime guarantee on workmanship. Take it back to them and get them to check it !