Wish I'd Bean there first!

Jame

After doing the rounds checking spring/winter rape fields with nothing much on them I found they finally started showing some interest in the beans. The first field I checked had some action so I setup and had 3 hours at it. Shot 40 and a few ferals which decoyed very well (plants 4 inches) setup around 2pm (12 shells and 2 db on magnet). Checked a larger bean field with similar size plants after... must of had 400-500 birds on it...You can imagine how I felt :D Shooting said field this weekend if they are still on it! There are 4 bean fields in a block split by a road, seem to be coming from all directions, 3 flight lines feeding the flock and still growing around teatime. Strange to see that many birds in such large numbers this time of year?

After doing the rounds checking spring/winter rape fields with nothing much on them I found they finally started showing some interest in the beans. The first field I checked had some action so I setup and had 3 hours at it. Shot 40 and a few ferals which decoyed very well (plants 4 inches) setup around 2pm (12 shells and 2 db on magnet). Checked a larger bean field with similar size plants after... must of had 400-500 birds on it...You can imagine how I felt :D Shooting said field this weekend if they are still on it! There are 4 bean fields in a block split by a road, seem to be coming from all directions, 3 flight lines feeding the flock and still growing around teatime. Strange to see that many birds in such large numbers this time of year?

I wouldn't say it is strange at all to see those sort of numbers at this time of year. I usually see big numbers on rape, peas and clover.

I find it more odd that they are interested in the growing beans. It's not something i've ever shot over, anyway.

Edited by motty

Well its only my second summer of pigeon shooting and I've never shot Beans before :) Stopped by the larger field at around 3.30pm today to see If they had moved on...nope! still huge number feeding and not just in 1 place, all over the field! I had planned to shoot the field Saturday 1st June but with that many birds feeding I had to do something. I walked them off best I could but they just lifted and flew further down the field so I setup quickly with 12 shells and magnet with 2 dead birds on, within seconds of getting into the hide they started dropping in 5s and 6s, I was wearing just combat trousers and a green T-shirt as it was way 2 hot to be wearing anything else but it didn't bother them at all, my hide was 2 stealth nets with a bush as a backdrop and no natural dressing on nets. I was limited on time but managed 30 birds with ease with 27 picked in just over an hour until I was out of time. I left wondering how many 4/5 hours would of seen.

Please tell me those are bean plants? :D

post-59548-0-12220100-1370033677_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jame

nice one :good: and defo bean plants

I have never shot a bag over growing beans in 26 years myself but the last 3 weeks I have seen pigeons and blacks feeding on a field of bean plants on my way to work and back, the field is un shootable with houses 50 yards behind it and a road 150 yards in front of it footpath down the side, but just shows there are opportunities out there on the most unsuspecting fields

nice one :good: and defo bean plants

I have never shot a bag over growing beans in 26 years myself but the last 3 weeks I have seen pigeons and blacks feeding on a field of bean plants on my way to work and back, the field is un shootable with houses 50 yards behind it and a road 150 yards in front of it footpath down the side, but just shows there are opportunities out there on the most unsuspecting fields

Get out with an air rifle Daz and have some sniping sport :good: You should be ale to get onto them if the plants aren't too high :yes::good:

I have never shot pigeons over a field of beans with the plants that size either. Did you check the crop contents? They may have been feeding on chickweed.

I thought that myself. They are more than likely feeding on some sort of weed than the bean plant.

we had an hectic few hours a number of years ago on beans at this stage. the birds were suicidle and we couldn't even get out of the hide to clear up.

the birds only fed there for a few days. the bean stuble that year was superb sport.

can't say it has ever happened up here since then. looking back i don't recall any clover or chickweed between the beans.

Get out with an air rifle Daz and have some sniping sport :good: You should be ale to get onto them if the plants aren't too high :yes::good:

i don,t have permission on this particular field turbo also know the farmer and hes a right awkward so and so :good:

I thought that myself. They are more than likely feeding on some sort of weed than the bean plant.

you could be right, there is wild rape growing in a field of spring wheat next door to it so there could be some growing amongst the bean plant field as well