Whats the best brass for .308 ?

Been having a minor extraction problem with over long cases . I think its about time that I dumped my cases and started again with some nice new brass . I have about 600 loaded up and about 400 emptys ,looks like I shoot and throw away from now on and load up some nice new brass. So whats the best brass .?

Harnser .

Been having a minor extraction problem with over long cases . I think its about time that I dumped my cases and started again with some nice new brass . I have about 600 loaded up and about 400 emptys ,looks like I shoot and throw away from now on and load up some nice new brass. So whats the best brass .?

Harnser .

If they are too long then just trim them.

J.

norma and rws are excellent too. Lapua is very good.

Quite surprised with how good PPU is!

U.

As far as I was told ppu brass is made in a state of the art plant.

I have had very few problems with the hornet brass from them and have about 600 cases.

Started reloading 308 with some once fired Sako hammerhead cases, they have been full sized each reload and annealed after five reloads.Think they are around 15 reloads now and still providing accurate ammo with no signs of cracking up. I think 308 is pretty easy going on cases as due to length of shoulder and how much the brass needs to be worked each time. I use Lee case length cutter and gauge in my cordless drill and have never had a problem with loading or extraction.

I reload PPU for target work out to 600yds and I find it is very good brass. But don't buy the cases buy the loaded rounds its actually much better value. As soon as anyone mentions PPU the howling starts but I keep getting told their factory is the biggest and newest in Europe and they increasingly make components for other big names. This is quite probably true because the other names are closing down plants and laying off staff to cut costs. That's well known.

Its only ammo at the end of the day. Its all too easy to get caught up in the mythology of certain brands

So far for me winchester brass has given me the best results through the 6.5 the .223 and the hornet.

Apparantly Winchester brass is made for them by S&B and a lot of the ammo is too. Look on the box and somewhere in very small letters it will say made in US or made in EU. Some say made in C- Republic

Has anyone got any Winchester boxes to check this?

Edited by Vince Green

I reload PPU for target work out to 600yds and I find it is very good brass. But don't buy the cases buy the loaded rounds its actually much better value. As soon as anyone mentions PPU the howling starts but I keep getting told their factory is the biggest and newest in Europe and they increasingly make components for other big names. This is quite probably true because the other names are closing down plants and laying off staff to cut costs. That's well known.

Its only ammo at the end of the day. Its all too easy to get caught up in the mythology of certain brands

I had some ppu brass and found the difference in empty weight horrendous.. Like, 15-20gn compared with 1 or 2 gn with Lapua. That makes them pretty rubbish for precision loading. I also found that I had problems with primer seating and webbing expansion after one firing which caused difficulty in chambering. It may well be MADE in a state of the art factory but as it is made to a very small price they will not buy the best raw materials, that includes the brass. Think of the difference between good steel and cheap steel on (most) knives.. The one made with cheap steel will work but chances are it won't hold an edge and will rust or break etc...

Another vote for Lapua here.

Edited by Vipa

I had some ppu brass and found the difference in empty weight horrendous.. Like, 15-20gn compared with 1 or 2 gn with Lapua. That makes them pretty rubbish for precision loading. I also found that I had problems with primer seating and webbing expansion after one firing which caused difficulty in chambering. It may well be MADE in a state of the art factory but as it is made to a very small price they will not buy the best raw materials, that includes the brass. Think of the difference between good steel and cheap steel on (most) knives.. The one made with cheap steel will work but chances are it won't hold an edge and will rust or break etc...

Another vote for Lapua here.

I think it might depend on which specific type of PPU ammo you are using as they aren't all made in the same factory. I seem to recall seeing both Romania and Serbia on the boxes in the past and I think Czech Republic as well.

Someone mentioned Winchester and some of their stuff is made in Australia, as are some Alliant powders.

J.

• 2 weeks later...