RATS

buckfast d

Hello there people,

i have had a few rats around the outside of my house, my neighbour has caught two in the last week or so but i haven't caugh any in my trap :stupid: , i have now bought my self one of those live traps (the cage type), What would be the best bait to use and do i set this trap using both entrance holes of the trap or just let them slip in to the small hatch... i hope this makes sence to you people.

if your trap has a bar that needs pulling down to release the door to shut then snickers or soak something hard in strawberry or rum flavour food flavouring then hang it on the bar...if it allows a soft food for example a plate then cat food as already mentioned.....any pics of the trap m8 ? :stupid:

as rats suffer from neophobia(frighten of new objects) if your gonna use the live trap, you should leave it in the same position for at least 5/8 days before adding the food, hard grilled sausage works well, fixed to the pressure plate,

remembering of course that a "live catch" trap means your going to have to dispatch it, do you have the means to do this?, air rifle etc

if you have the break back traps have you not caught anything because of the way your setting them?

firstly make sure its located in a "rat run" and that its covered so as not allow non target species to set it off, plus again the rat needs to get used to it, if your picking it up every day and moving it, if only by a couple of inches the neophobia starts off all over again

Following the commencement of some local building works, most of the gardens on our small estate have been invaded by rats.

Well I've been having great fun. I bought two differnt types of spring traps, one has cought 4 rats, the other none. I have used cat food for bait. I have also placed several mince pie foil dishes filled with poison bait, I have found that the grain based bait works best.

We are getting along quite well now, most days the rats consume the poison and then place the dish where I can easily find it for replenishment. All of the neighbors have called in the council, but I'm having too much fun. Got one adult in a trap last week, but it was only cought by the foot, so it ran off but couldnt drag the trap through the chain link fence; soon sorted with the 9mm shotgun.

No trap activations or requests for bait yesterday, so perhaps they've gone on vacation, or I may have won!

Dont forget to wear those cheap disposable rubber gloves and throw them away after each use. Rats carry all sorts of disease, and the poison wont do you any good either.

webber

Chocolate as bait - if they're very wary (which they may be if they've seen they're mates dead in a trap set by your neighbours!) consider pre-baiting with the trap door locked in the open position for a couple of days...then once their confidence is built up set the trap live. Check the traps once, if not twice, a day minimum (dusk and dawn).

Also if your buying live cage traps make sure you store them upside down so that you don't catch anything by mistake.

Also, congratulations for going down the live trap route - from what I've heard everything else is likely to be banned soon anyway - far too many non-target species are killed by the mis-use (and proper use) of other types of trap.

just a note of WARNING if your baiting with deadline grain bait

make sure your NOT just leaving it in the open, as non target species could feed on it,

make yourself a wooden box, holes both ends grain bait LOCKED inside

make sure you pick up and dispose/burn all carcasses

make sure theres no pig farms close by, as pigs will eat dead rats which leads to secondary poisoning

remember using traps either break back or live capture and you only have to worry about non target species,

where using poisons YOU HAVE TO think of everything, livestock,people and the enviroment, theres alot more laws governing the use of poisons and you can be prosecuted if you get it wrong

as rats suffer from neophobia(frighten of new objects) if your gonna use the live trap, you should leave it in the same position for at least 5/8 days before adding the food, hard grilled sausage works well, fixed to the pressure plate,

remembering of course that a "live catch" trap means your going to have to dispatch it, do you have the means to do this?, air rifle etc

if you have the break back traps have you not caught anything because of the way your setting them?

firstly make sure its located in a "rat run" and that its covered so as not allow non target species to set it off, plus again the rat needs to get used to it, if your picking it up every day and moving it, if only by a couple of inches the neophobia starts off all over again

I was thinking of a barrel of water, but maybe that isn't allowed :lol: or maybe just lift it out and break it's neck :lol:

Cheers for all your help .. can't show any pics as i don't know how to up lift them to the forum :stupid:

ok all'

Personally i'd go down the poison route as this

is more efficiant if done correctly' make sure it

is a poison for outdoor use only, difenacoum, or

bromodiolone. I'd only use loose grain for hole

baiting and sealing and stick to blocks in a box.

But don't forget'' a bit of sport can be had with a

air rifle'.

Moucher.

SEEMS MY REPLY GOT LOST SOMEWHERE,

as for breaking there backs, I wouldent touch a dead one, let alone a live one, it aint gonna lay there for ya, more likely turn and bite ya

the law says it's Ilegal to beat and animal to death, but its ok to whack it over the head, bit of a grey area that one

as for the two poisons mentioned above,

for outdoor use only, difenacoum, or

bromodiolone. these are in fact both indoors or outdoor poisons, there are some that can only be used indoors , brodifacoum as an example

Edited by henry d

Yes mate'

i worded it wrong, i meant only use bromodiolone

and difenacoum outdoors' as opposed to brodifacoum

and also flocoumafen which are both indoor use only.

I don't even use the latter as the LD50 is quite high.

Think i'm on the wrong forum LOL.

moucher :good:

as for breaking there backs, I wouldent touch a dead one, let alone a live one, it aint gonna lay there for ya, more likely turn and bite ya

Yuk, i'm getting scared now :):/

:lol: you should be, rats can carry some very nasty stuff so you need to deal with them carefully. you will need an incinerator (or access to one) in any case as you can't just drop them in your dustbin :lol: . you could use an extended `pick-up stick` (like the ones used by the elderly, disabled or street cleaners) so you don't have to get too close to them. you will need to make sure they're dead, a shot (or a spike) to the head would do this nicely, not to the body as they can still find some strength to attack if they want to (survival instinct). hope this helps :good:

Hey all!!

I have helped a few people out with givin them ferret droppings etc etc, they just drop them in round wer they see the rats!!

Plus buckfast d I only live 10 mins out of Lurgan :angry::no: :( ;)

PM me if ya wana try some of the ferret droppings I have plenty haha

Jimjim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I find either Cat food, Peanut butter (probs one of most successful) and chocolate to be best. I have just finished making a baitstation for the top of my garden so i can shoot them at a fixed point!! only put it out lastnight. not seen anything just yet though but again, i think this is becuase it is something new and i haven't actually baited it up yet. I'll wait untill theyre used to it hehe

Get yourself out there with the air rifle :lol: It appears some of the nasty ******* (could be mice though) have nested in my garden! The reason i say could be mice, is due to my mum spotting them and well we all know what mums are like! If they are mice are they legal air rifle quarry? I was told that drinking choc was always good bait for mice and that you had to spit in it to ensure the smell got out (i reckon the spitting bit was a attempt to make me look stupid?)? Also buckfast have you won the war of the rats yet mate? :lol:

Make sure you wear gloves. Firstly to stop the scent from your hands from scaring the rats away from your trap and secondly for preventing you from catching any diseases from them.

Rats carry a lot of other diseases besides Leptospiral Jaundice which can kill.

Don't forget to check the trap twice a day and to leave food and water in it.

It isn't illegal to trap and kill rodents but it is illegal to cause them unneccesary suffering. Animals left to starve or exposed to the elements or scared by predators such as dogs or cats barking at them whilst in a cage can be deemed to have suffered.

Don't underestimate the RSPCA. They prosecuted a Devon man for hanging up a dead seagul in his garden.