Inaccurate HW80 mk1

hedd-wyn

I've recently purchased a lovely Weihrauch HW80 Mk1 and took it down the farm yesterday for a pellet test.

I had set about 30 yards from the target (too far maybe?) and the groupings were not good to be honest, even though I had used about 12 different brands of pellet At the end of the session the paper targets looked like they's been hit with the 410.

I am a pretty decent shot with a springer and the gun wasn't rested on a hard solid surface either.

Any idea what could be the cause of this?

I've just gained some permission with a rabbit problem and from what I've been told it will probably be an air rifle only permission so would like to try and get this sorted and get used to the gun before thinking of using it there.

ATB

Heddwch

EDIT - the silencer has been removed by the way

Edited by hedd-wyn

could be as simple as the gun needing half a tin of pellets through it to bed the barrel in. particularly if hasn't had much use for a while.

also if you could access a chronograph [chrombo] it would show any variation in power between shots, which would effect accuracy.

Edited by aga man

That's is nice and smooth and regular, no bits to infukence the pellet when it leaves the barrell, from memory I think they are set back slightly so that will be unlikely.

My first port of call would be the silencer and scope if fitted as the 80 is quite tough.

Pellet wise mine wasn't fussy but some are.

some barrels need to bed in, others clean, then on top some pellets prefer the bedded barrel or the clean barrel. new springs are often naff for a few shots. if the crowns been diy'd i'd go with that.. next is the piston caps gone, or its a bit too filthy gunged up inside where the piston hits (a little helpps sometimes but black sludge bedding can naff up a good contact by shifting around and semi deisiling). last but not least, the screw at th front have warmn, or the wholes them self may have gone soft/warn a bit.(as a another point the trigger housing screws on the trigger gaurd bit, sometimes the bach (thinner screw) is warn or the hole is warn.. personally i'd have tried it closer after he 30 yard when it 410'd the card lol..just to 'find the pellet' sometimes springers have a bad day, as in you slightly miss the grip un noticeably..

edit..missed out the breech seel..they go flat over time..constance goes to pot.

second edit lol..sy... or the main spring guide flips a flange and it hasnt yet found the hole to block the pison bar going through..lol..i'd go with the breech seal, the piston seal or spring...but only after bedding in a cleaned barrel with one type of pellet..just to see like.

Edited by stoogey

Give the barrel a good clean using solvent then put a number of patches through it.

Then get some cotton buds and stroke the inside of the barrel end.

There should be no bits of cotton wool catching on any burrs at the end of the barrel.

If there are any burrs at the end of the barrel it needs re-crowning not a big job there`s vids on YOU TUBE so you can do it yourself.

If there`s no burrs try putting 30 to 50 RWS Superdomes though it to lead the barrel.

It should be accurate with RWS superdomes.

If it`s still giving problems check the stock screws the HW80 was a pain for shaking them loose.

Check the scope and the scope mounts for creeping.

Whats the recoil like if it`s had an ox-spring put in it they can become in-accurate.

I've recently purchased a lovely Weihrauch HW80 Mk1 and took it down the farm yesterday for a pellet test.

I had set about 30 yards from the target (too far maybe?) and the groupings were not good to be honest, even though I had used about 12 different brands of pellet At the end of the session the paper targets looked like they's been hit with the 410.

I am a pretty decent shot with a springer and the gun wasn't rested on a hard solid surface either.

Any idea what could be the cause of this?

I've just gained some permission with a rabbit problem and from what I've been told it will probably be an air rifle only permission so would like to try and get this sorted and get used to the gun before thinking of using it there.

ATB

Heddwch

EDIT - the silencer has been removed by the way

Strip it my guess would be some divvy has fitted a ox spring or the like get a hw spring in it and go from there :good:

Give the barrel a good clean using solvent then put a number of patches through it.

Then get some cotton buds and stroke the inside of the barrel end.

There should be no bits of cotton wool catching on any burrs at the end of the barrel.

If there are any burrs at the end of the barrel it needs re-crowning not a big job there`s vids on YOU TUBE so you can do it yourself.

If there`s no burrs try putting 30 to 50 RWS Superdomes though it to lead the barrel.

It should be accurate with RWS superdomes.

If it`s still giving problems check the stock screws the HW80 was a pain for shaking them loose.

Check the scope and the scope mounts for creeping.

Whats the recoil like if it`s had an ox-spring put in it they can become in-accurate.

Hi NS

Yes it has had an ox spring in the past but the original spring was installed a few months before I bought it. Could this be the answer I wonder?

Strip it my guess would be some divvy has fitted a ox spring or the like get a hw spring in it and go from there :good:

Hi Magman, there used to be an ox spring in it but the original was put back a few months ago. The gun has been used since then.

some barrels need to bed in, others clean, then on top some pellets prefer the bedded barrel or the clean barrel. new springs are often naff for a few shots. if the crowns been diy'd i'd go with that.. next is the piston caps gone, or its a bit too filthy gunged up inside where the piston hits (a little helpps sometimes but black sludge bedding can naff up a good contact by shifting around and semi deisiling). last but not least, the screw at th front have warmn, or the wholes them self may have gone soft/warn a bit.(as a another point the trigger housing screws on the trigger gaurd bit, sometimes the bach (thinner screw) is warn or the hole is warn.. personally i'd have tried it closer after he 30 yard when it 410'd the card lol..just to 'find the pellet' sometimes springers have a bad day, as in you slightly miss the grip un noticeably..

edit..missed out the breech seel..they go flat over time..constance goes to pot.

second edit lol..sy... or the main spring guide flips a flange and it hasnt yet found the hole to block the pison bar going through..lol..i'd go with the breech seal, the piston seal or spring...but only after bedding in a cleaned barrel with one type of pellet..just to see like.

Sweet Jesus! Only a few things then :lol:

Thanks for the info :good:

Could be a number of things then. Checked the crown with a cotton bud and it appears to be fine.

I was planning on buying another scope tomorrow. Will give it a strip, degrase, re grease with moly and check everything is tight. I should get the chance to put half a tin of pellets through it on sarurday and re check the zero so will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the info gents.