Heavy barrel .17

dob

heavy barrel for better accuracy

Yep, all to do with barrel harmonics but I don't know if it'll make a noticeable difference out in the field.

I prefer heavy barrels, heavy guns but I also have to lug them around the fields all day! One day I'll find a slave for that though!

Heavy barrels take longer to warm up but also to cool down. As has been said, just go with whichever you like best.

free hand shots will be easier with the lighter barrel.

Not quite true; my feinwerkbau weighs about 11lbs iirc and I could, in my hay day, hit the 0.5mm bull more than 9 times in 10 standing at 10mtrs. You do need the right technique though. Match rifles are heavier because it steadies the rifle, that's why the rules state a maximum weight and even production rifles are pretty close to it.

I have a heavy barrel, If i was to buy again I would go for the normal barrel.

I dont see any advantage of the heavy barrel and free hand shots will be easier with the lighter barrel.

with a HMR there are no real benefits in the field, but then they aren't actually that heavy compared to some of the centerfire offerings that are seriously heavy. My American is heavy barrel but its not an issue carrying about though its not far off the weight of my .243

I had the CZ455 heavy varmint barrel and switched to the CZ452, I much prefer the 452, hugely lighter and fabulously accurate. Although it would seem I had a duffer in the 455 as the accuracy was terrible, I would see no reason why they wouldn't be the same. I had a practise a couple of evenings ago when there was virtually no wind and the best group of 5 was, 1 snatched. and the other 4 covered within a 1p group at 105 yards. It wouldn't matter what HMR I picked up, I wouldn't be able to improve on that accuracy..so very happy with the lighter barrel. :good: