Classic Over & Under £500

The Ghost

My brother in law (aged 69) is visiting the Fens from Cumbria, we have had a few days shooting Pigeon and he has enjoyed his time.

He is a long time wildfowler and on his day "a very good shot" he has just told me that he has £500 to buy a shotgun.

His last gun was a Remington 1400 that he shot OK, his next gun he intends to pass it on to his sons who are both shooters.

He had major heart surgery six months ago and looking at life a bit differently....he wants his next gun to be an investment for his kids.

Most of his shooting will be on clays with the odd crow shooting trip, or a day on the marsh with his two sons.

He said he would like an O/U, to be honest I could not offer any advice at all.....so please help with advice.

Classic Over & Under that will hold it's price in the years ahead, used for clays, crows & geese ???

Sadly, he is unlikely to get a gun that will be an investment for his kids.

That said, for that sort of money, he could get a Miroku, Beretta. Winchester, Nikko etc - if he is prepared to travel and shop around - which would outlast him and his sons.

Sadly, he is unlikely to get a gun that will be an investment for his kids.

That said, for that sort of money, he could get a Miroku, Beretta. Winchester, Nikko etc - if he is prepared to travel and shop around - which would outlast him and his sons.

Too true!

Get on the phone to Mick (Wabbitbosher). He'll have some thing suitable and great value!

The best chance for 500 notes is an SKB / BSA o/u They are right up there in build quality and handle as good as any top brand guns at a 3rd of the price, That is about it i am affraid for 500 quid, you may find an old Miroku for around that figure but i think realisticaly you may have to add a little more money. One other gun that is awesome and i just missed one at 500 quid is the Remington 3200 but normaly they are more than that, kicking myself for not getting it to be honest. SKB its the one i think you will get a decent one at that money.

Do not buy an obsolete gun ! get one that is still current which are tried and tested MIroku/Browning or Berretta . Avoid all else and defiantly do not buy any gun branded "classic" or made in Turkey . At the moment there is aglut of second hand guns and with new modles coming out this will force down the price of older [10 /15 years ] . Looking at the worst case scenario and you have a break down ,an extractor for example , if you can not pick up a phone and get spares now what will you do in 5 years time .

Lend him £300 and he can buy the Grand European that's for sale on here.

Sorted.

Edit: Oops! Too late - well it wasn't going to hang about, was it?

Lend him £300 and he can buy the Grand European that's for sale on here.

Sorted.

Edit: Oops! Too late - well it wasn't going to hang about, was it?

The words Grand & European should never be used in the same sentence....put me off it dispite being a stunning gun :no:

I nearly bought an SKB trap gun, at Malmo a couple of years ago.

Very impressed by the build quality. Bryan kindly guided me towards a dearer gun, but I am not complaining. :lol::lol:

They are good no question about it, i cant think of anything near the quality for 500 quid these days. There must be an old 800 Miroku out there some place at that wouldnt you think,

Saw a browning B26 (might have been a 25) A1 for £650 at a local dealer...... £500 will get a useable gun but not a generational gun £1500 does get a high grade miroku mk38 or 325 as a fowler is steel proof required? Or is hevi shot enough? Might get an AYA OU?

Not easy gents, you have done far better than I did.

I said "A nice Miroku 38" not thinking they were £1500 and not £500.

Just shows you that £500 buys you very little these days that you could say "it's worth that all day long" and your kids could look forward to fighting over after your last shooting trip. If it were me I would pick an auto, plenty of classics for very little money,

If he is not in a rush maybe just make it known around your local club or friends you are looking for something, i was lucky enough to pick up a Browning 325 grade 3 for £500 which was a steal as they normally go for close on double that but the bloke needed the money and i had it to spend so we were both happy.

The words Grand & European should never be used in the same sentence....put me off it dispite being a stunning gun :no:

No worse than saying Great Britain in fact even though i never saw it i dare bet that Grand european was in a better state than great britain is now.