Cheap oil change

gazbev

Just thought I would let you know about a cheap oil change I found with National Tyres.

I have a Forester diesel and the right grade oil is expensive,it has to be a low ash oil and castrol edge I've been told is one of the best but its 40 quid for four litres and I need six so I would have to buy two tubs - 80quid.

Online quote at National tyres which includes labour and filter is 45quid.

I rang and they confirmed it is the low ash oil (C3 grade).

Worth a look I reckon,thought I would share

It's supposed to say oil change....

Personally I wouldn't trust them to change the oil in my deep fat fryer but as you say the price is good if they use the oil they say they will do.............oil choice with modern diesels is critical especially those that you DPF and require as you say a low ash oil.

Eurocarparts have 25% off at the moment bringing 8L of Edge C3 to £59.95 meaning you'll have 2L to top up or you'll only have to buy 1 jug next service. Bearing in mind an OE filter for those is in the £10 to £18 mark you have to wonder what parts they use.

I've always used ECP brand synthetic oils and the Golf is coming up to 200,000 miles with no engine issues. You could get a C3 version of this for £36.72 with a free oil filter at the mo.

Edited by Livefast123

Decent Oil is the cheapest maintenance you will ever do. To skimp on oil, and use an unknown "brand" is a big mistake in my book. There is a reason its cheap. You may find all the major Oil "manufacturers" are about the same price.

Given the relatively high specific power output of modern engines, you may like to rethink cheap oil - if the engine blows, or if said "cheap" oil even just shortens its life, whilst the oil company may be technically liable, who will sort the mess out? I suggest it won't be them!

AND, this is before we the potential issue of the presence or absence of the right additives, and also whether your "old" oil is compatible with your new oil, or whether the engine should be flushed as part of the change.

The phrase False Economy, springs to mind.

Depending on my usage I change mine every 6 months to a year and the Golf engine still sounds like new and compression is very close across the 4 cylinders with 195,200 miles on the clock. Our 1.25 Fiesta also has 130,000 miles on the clock which has run on Ford specific ECP synthetic. I have no concerns about the quality of the ECP synthetic SN series oils.

The best maintenance you can carry out on your car is changing the oil frequently with a quality filter regardless of which oil you use. There is a common misconception that modern oils are made of some sort of unobtainium and will last 18 - 20,000 miles between changes. Have a search on American car forums where they have their oils tested, even the most expensive oils have reached the end of their life by 10,000 miles yet we in this country push them to 18,000 mile intervals.

Engines should never need be flushed if they have been maintained properly and can cause serious problems in dirty engines with gunk and debris blocking oil lines, filters and anything else it goes down.

Just thought I would let you know about a cheap oil change I found with National Tyres.

I have a Forester diesel and the right grade oil is expensive,it has to be a low ash oil and castrol edge I've been told is one of the best but its 40 quid for four litres and I need six so I would have to buy two tubs - 80quid.

Online quote at National tyres which includes labour and filter is 45quid.

I rang and they confirmed it is the low ash oil (C3 grade).

Worth a look I reckon,thought I would share

It's supposed to say oil change....

How much did you pay for your diesel Forester? A tidy sum no doubt,but your going el cheapo on an oil change ............

Edited by matone

Got to agree with previous posters. Every 10k miles at most, and make sure the correct filter and oil is used. Otherwise, for saving £20-40, you are risking shortening the life of your engine by an incredible amount.

Talk to an independent garage owner, most of them service their own cars and vans every 6k miles.

Oh, if you really want to, and you are basically capable with a socket set, you can change the oil on your own car. That way you also know it has been done correctly (sump plug out). A lot of 'quick-fit' type garages pump out the old oil through the dipstick hole, so the crud stays in the sump.

Skimping on the price on an oil change is a classic case of 'penny wise, pound foolish', IMO.

That way you also know it has been done correctly (sump plug out). A lot of 'quick-fit' type garages pump out the old oil through the dipstick hole, so the crud stays in the sump.

It doesn't if you run the engine first as recommended, any impurities are then distributed around the oil and get sucked out too.

I do all my own routine servicing, and as you may have gathered use one of these - I am impressed.

Once you pumped it to create the vacuum, you can wander off and have a cup of tea so 10-15 minutes maybe?

You can hear it sucking at the bottom of the sump when it is done, so you can only guess it has all the oil out.

Engines in regular use and with modern oils don't have the sludge build up like they used to have years ago, so that's not really a consideration.

It was having to take the engine cover off each time on the Golf that prompted me to get one.

Having read loads of reviews I got the Sealey TP69

• 2 weeks later...

I paid a lot for the Forester and that is why Im so interested in oil changes,I went to National tyres they have a 45 gallon drum of castrol edge c3 c3 they let the oil drain for twenty minutes fitted a pattern filter but did say if Ibought a subaru filter he would fit it.

I have all the tools at home and have always done my servicing,the filter is even on top of the engine so couldnt be easier,my argument is I can't buy the oil for the price they do this for,I watched them do the service and chatted to the guy who did it,there is nothing hard about an oil service and he did exactly what I would have done except I would have let it drain all morning.

Good value for money and castrol edge is a top quality oil.

I paid a lot for the Forester and that is why Im so interested in oil changes,I went to National tyres they have a 45 gallon drum of castrol edge c3 c3 they let the oil drain for twenty minutes fitted a pattern filter but did say if Ibought a subaru filter he would fit it.

I have all the tools at home and have always done my servicing,the filter is even on top of the engine so couldnt be easier,my argument is I can't buy the oil for the price they do this for,I watched them do the service and chatted to the guy who did it,there is nothing hard about an oil service and he did exactly what I would have done except I would have let it drain all morning.

To me it seems a good deal then. its not like you have put cheap oil in, as you have checked first. its the bulk buy of oil from national that they are passing on to the customer. like you said get hold of a genuine filter and jobs a goodun. and your hands stay fresh as a daisy.

Joe

To me it seems a good deal then. its not like you have put cheap oil in, as you have checked first. its the bulk buy of oil from national that they are passing on to the customer. like you said get hold of a genuine filter and jobs a goodun. and your hands stay fresh as a daisy.

Joe

That's right Seph that's just what the manager from national said about bulk buying,They were happy to show me the 205ltr drum and you have to be careful because some older castrol edge isn't c2.but this was.

In the past when I service a car I I keep all the recipes for oil and filters so when I sell I can show them what I've bought whether they believe me or not is a different matter but with national tyres they give you a receipt with the date and mileage so I can keep this instead

I had an old Mini van years ago. Got an oil change done at the local tyre bay, it was cheap enough until next time I had it done and found they'd crossed the thread on the sump plug, ****!

I would love an old mini van now, I was a mini fanatic in my youth,so easy to cross thread the sump plug they even did a heli coil lit to replace them.

They ran on basic mineral oil because they just didn't rev, Me and my mates spent a fortune on trying to make them quicker and I don't think any of them went over 80mph